“Highly recommended”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Efficient check in , when I tried the electronic key it didn't work but someone came up from reception with a replacement but when I returned from being out this one didn't work !!!
Bedroom I was staying three nights the bedroom was huge on the 8 Th. floor very quiet which considering being handy for Piccadilly station the double glazing was excellent .the room was very clean and everything worked.
Bathroom again was huge ( I would have liked a soap tray) ,shower quite powerful ,the towel heater wasn't working so the towels did t fully dry over night .
Dinner I eat in the restaurant ( see separate review ) .
Breakfast As a conference delegate there were lots of us for breakfast but enough friendly staff who were very efficient ( I asked for scrambled egg which arrived at my table as I did ).Excellent range of cereal ,hot cooked foods aswell as the healthier option !,
The only negative was the lack of lifts !,
Location I felt safe walking into the city .Ideally situated .

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear Mary,

Thank you for your very kind review it is appreciated and of course we were really pleased to read that for a multi night stay our team delivered.

As always we take on board all views for further improvement and so you have have given us food for thought.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,197)

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I have given the hotel an average rating as the hotel itself was very nice, lovely room (bar the view), friendly staff. The description on the hotel website indicates it was a good location - it is basically located next to Piccadilly station in a very dull area and nowhere near the shops or Restaurants. The website also indicated we could upgrade to a 'city view room' which we did- the view was of a dual carriageway and block of flats! Had to get taxis during the day to the shops and then on the night to arena- each journey cost £6-7! Breakfast was poor as food was cold!

Stayed: April 2014
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Dear Pigginhungry,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your comments they are appreciated. I'm not sure that we can do much about our location or Manchester as a city but I can assure you that I will look to the team for instant improvement on our breakfast offering. As you'll see it is consistently excellent and so I'm probably more disappointed than yourself that it failed to hit the mark for you as it does for so many others.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here in July 2013 as I was due to fly to Madrid, but British Airways decided that they couldn't be bothered flying anymore passengers as it was past their pilots' bedtime.

I (and around 30 other people) arrived at about 1am, tired and fed-up. The hotel staff handled it very well and we were all pretty much immediately given room keys when we presented our passports, it was well organised.

The room was very good, clean and the bath was amazing. I am due to return tomorrow, through choice, hence I remembered to review the stay and I must be honest I've been a little disappointed thus far with the service, hopefully they will redeem themselves.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Daniel,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us so long after your stay with us. You will notice also that I have left a message for you to understand your disappointment pre arrival with this stay. Please let me know what your concern is so that we can improve metters.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed for 2 nights in Manchester (Wednesday & Thursday nights). We traveled from London by train & were delighted that the hotel was literally 2 minutes walk from Piccadilly Station. The welcoming staff at reception couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. The Executive Room was large, comfortable with huge room length windows, great bed & pillows, superb large bathroom with separate shower & bath & tea/coffee making facilities, ironing board & iron. Breakfasts were superb with proper fresh fruit, full English, cereals, juices. Hot toast was brought to your table along with coffee/tea. The restaurant manager Jayne Riley made everyone feel comfortable & welcomed. This lady appears to love her job - so nice to see. The bar area is excellent & serves snacks. We didn't test the main evening restaurant or extensive gym facilities but they looked excellent. The best things I can say about this hotel are - I wouldn't stay at any other in Manchester now than this; and if there's a Macdonald Hotel anywhere I'm going, I'd trust it to provide the comfort & service we'd want.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Dear Jeff,

Thanks so much for what is a really nice review it is appreciated and highlights all that we endeavour daily to deliver.

Please be assured also that I will pass on your kind comments to Jayne as she is a great ambassador for us and does a fantastic job in looking after our guests.

It goes without saying that we'd be delighted to see you back here very soon.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Really friendly reception staff, very helpful. Rooms absolutely beautiful. I requested a room gesture of scattered rose petals and this was done to a high standard. Everything was spot on and I would visit here again. Close to everything just a few minute walk.

Room Tip: I booked a standard double room with a massive window over looking the train station. The room was s...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TD94,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and I'm so pleased that you were so impressed that you took the time to write about us so long after your stay.

It goes without saying that we'd be delighted to see you back here soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just had one night at the MacDonald . Hotel was good - very large rooms and pretty good location . Breakfast was good but a little disorganised - had to queue up to get in . To be fair it was busy , but waiting in line for 5-7 minutes to be seated isn't good.

I made the mistake of going to the bar when I arrived and ordered what I thought was a pint bottle of speckled hen . It turned out to be half a pint and it cost £4.80 ! Crazy price . Needless to say I went out to a local pub .

Shame , because the hotel was otherwise very good.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us it is appreciated and of course with all feedback we will look to use it to ensure our guests are fully satisfied during their stay.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed overnight at this lovely hotel, the receptionist was professional, friendly and courteous and although we were early to check in, a room was made available straight away. The rooms were spacious and comfortable at a very reasonable price. Unfortunately we didn't use the Spa but dined at the hotel. The food was delicious and again the service excellent and friendly. Our one and only criticism was the restaurant was cold but we were moved nearer to the kitchen which was a lot better se we feel that should be addressed if possible. Had a comfortable nights sleep and woke to another delicious meal, a lovely hot breakfast, so all in all a great stay and will definitely stop again and use the Spa. Great staff, great service, fabulous food, just needs a little warmth in the restaurant. Thanks so much

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Susie,

Thanks for your very kind review it is appreciated and please be assured that in terms of temperature we will look to ensure it meets all of your expectations on the next occasion of your stay.

Really pleased that the members of staff who you met and our rooms and food offerings were enjoyed.