“Nice hotel”

Ranked #45 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night and really like this hotel. Booked months in advance and got the stay including breakfast for just over £100. For that this has to be the best hotel in Manchester. The Room is big, comfortable, clean and quiet. The hotel has a modern feel to it although the open area for the bar does lack a bit of something. Breakfast is good but did not have dinner here so cannot comment. The staff were pleasant and would certainly recommend staying here if the price is right. Tried to book again with only a weeks notice and the cost was way over £200. For that type of price there are plenty of other options in Manchester that I would look at. If you do stay here you will not be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Dear M1DLD,

Many thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to review us it is appreciated. You'll be pleased to hear also that we have a number of refurbishments in the pipeline designed to further enhance each and every guests experience from our fantastic spa, our bedrooms and suites, our state of the art meeting rooms, fantastic restaurant and of course our Lounges; both executive and guest.

Thanks also for highlighting the part that our great team played during your stay.

We look forward to your return.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (682)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My fiance booked this hotel for us to stay at overnight as we we were going to a gig at the 02 Apollo and didn't want to be rushing to catch the last train. It was also part of my birthday present too so he went for somewhere a little fancier than a Premier Inn. He dropped a bit of clanger though and didn't realise until last minute that he had accidently booked us a twin room instead of a double! Anyway he took and chance and called to see if we could change it to a double and this was no problem at all! In fact when we arrived we noticed the room was huge, i'm sure they had upgraded us which was a surprise because it was originally our mistake.

The room was lovely, clean and fresh! We had plenty of tea and coffee, cups, wine glasses, water glasses and even little glasses in the bathroom for brushing your teeth. There was a fridge which I liked too so you could keep things cool (I only like water if its nice and cold) and a hairdryer (which hadn't been held down like you find in other hotels which doesn't give you enough room to stretch the wire), an ironing board, a trouser press, everything you could think of, the room had it, I just wished we had stayed longer. I was a little surprised at how small the TV was to say how big the room was but suppose can't have everything and we loved the fact you could listen to it in the bathroom if you so wished!

The bath was huge and I had a nice soak after the gig which was good and there was plenty of shower gel, bath foam, shampoo and conditioner, body wash, shower caps, soap bars, you name it!

I slept really well too and felt fully refreshed in the morning which made a change to my usual wake ups after a gig of feeling grubby and tired - I think i'm just getting old now and like my home comforts :-)

If I went again i'd love to try the spa as on arrival I noticed two women looking very relaxed, sipping champagne with their bathrobes and slippers on watching the world go by - can't be bad eh?

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Hotellover304,

Thanks so much for both a comprehensive and very kind review it is appreciated and I'm so pleased that you had a great stay in Manchester and at our Hotel and Spa.

It goes without saying that we'd be delighted to see you back here soon.

Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Me and my partner stayed here last November in the panoramic rooms. Well, they are actually amazing.

Surround sound in the room, including bathroom! Amazing views all around of the city, big comfortable beds, the list is endless. The rooms are 5* quality.

All staff were friendly and efficient, both in reception, bar and restaurant. We dined in the restaurant, where Marco made sure everything was okay for us. The service was unrivalled in any respect.

In all, it was a perfect stay.

Room Tip: Panoramic rooms, don't choose any others.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Tom,

Thank you for your kind review it is appreciated and as always we know that it is never a given to recieve such positive feedback. The team work really hard to exceed guests expectations each and everytime backed up by some outstanding facilities including x 338 immaculately presented rooms and a food and beverage operation that is as good as anything in the region with a food provenance reputation that we know leads the industry.

Thank you once again I will pass on your compliments to Marco and it goes without saying that we look forward to your return some time soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

An award-winning hotel chain, according to the banner outside the hotel, but could be improved further with a little staff training and attention to detail.

We arrived on Saturday with the room booked until Wednesday, but by Sunday morning had to have the key cards reset. We used the face cloths on Saturday evening and Sunday morning, and when the room was cleaned they were not replaced. We did not have any for the rest of our stay, although each day something else appeared in the bathroom (slippers, shower cap, cotton wool). The hygiene bags were not replenished either.

We found the room spacious but sadly lacking in storage. There were bedside tables, but no drawers, and we ended up leaving many of our belongings in our suitcases for five days. There was a shelf unit in the wardrobe, but it was awkwardly placed, poorly lit and virtually unusable. Eight hangers between two people is insufficient, and none were clip hangers suitable for skirts.

Breakfast in the main restaurant was pleasant enough, and service prompt and friendly, especially Tom with a very ready smile. As I was part of a group booking, they expected us to eat together for the rest of our stay; however, I was staying with my partner and did not want to eat breakfast at a table for ten people, all strangers, when we could eat at a table for two in the main restuarant. We rebelled against this expectation and insisted on eating in the restaurant instead.

We had dinner there on just one night of our stay, it might have been more but there were insufficient vegetarian options to make this plausible. The rest of the city centre is within ten-fifteen minutes walk so that's what we did each evening. The food we had was nice enough, but the steaks at Velvet Central considerably better value than those in the hotel.

Parking is expensive at £20 per night, and you need to get a new exit code every day.

We used the gym but not the spa. There are only two treadmills, unfortunately. I was momentarily excited about the prospect of being able to run and watch tv at the same time until I discovered that only BBC 1 was available - Songs of Praise was not very inspiring so I gave it a miss!

The location is handy if you need the station, luckily we couldn't hear the trains (although we live on the Heathrow flight path and sleep through the plane noise easily) but the rest of the area is unappealing. There is a grubby white block opposite that needs demolishing and many derelict buildings or those in poor repair nearby.

All in all, a pleasant enough stay but with niggles that need ironing out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Snailrunner,

As a senior reviewer we are delighted to have the opportunity to learn from and and develop on what we do so I can only thank you for being so kind and for the time taken to offer your feedback.

I agree that it is all about the need for attention to detail and also our interaction with guests. These as you know make all the difference and as is usual once an organisation is given an accolade like ours then no matter what the level of expectation is that much more. We aspire to be consistently excellent and for everyone of our team to deliver a memorable stay in the manner that Tom did with yourselves. We will look to ever improve and so aim to exceed expectations in the areas where you have found an opportunity for us to do so.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return sometime soon to show you where and how we have improved on what you have told us.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Efficient check in , when I tried the electronic key it didn't work but someone came up from reception with a replacement but when I returned from being out this one didn't work !!!
Bedroom I was staying three nights the bedroom was huge on the 8 Th. floor very quiet which considering being handy for Piccadilly station the double glazing was excellent .the room was very clean and everything worked.
Bathroom again was huge ( I would have liked a soap tray) ,shower quite powerful ,the towel heater wasn't working so the towels did t fully dry over night .
Dinner I eat in the restaurant ( see separate review ) .
Breakfast As a conference delegate there were lots of us for breakfast but enough friendly staff who were very efficient ( I asked for scrambled egg which arrived at my table as I did ).Excellent range of cereal ,hot cooked foods aswell as the healthier option !,
The only negative was the lack of lifts !,
Location I felt safe walking into the city .Ideally situated .

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Mary,

Thank you for your very kind review it is appreciated and of course we were really pleased to read that for a multi night stay our team delivered.

As always we take on board all views for further improvement and so you have have given us food for thought.

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I have given the hotel an average rating as the hotel itself was very nice, lovely room (bar the view), friendly staff. The description on the hotel website indicates it was a good location - it is basically located next to Piccadilly station in a very dull area and nowhere near the shops or Restaurants. The website also indicated we could upgrade to a 'city view room' which we did- the view was of a dual carriageway and block of flats! Had to get taxis during the day to the shops and then on the night to arena- each journey cost £6-7! Breakfast was poor as food was cold!

Stayed April 2014
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Pigginhungry,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your comments they are appreciated. I'm not sure that we can do much about our location or Manchester as a city but I can assure you that I will look to the team for instant improvement on our breakfast offering. As you'll see it is consistently excellent and so I'm probably more disappointed than yourself that it failed to hit the mark for you as it does for so many others.

Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here in July 2013 as I was due to fly to Madrid, but British Airways decided that they couldn't be bothered flying anymore passengers as it was past their pilots' bedtime.

I (and around 30 other people) arrived at about 1am, tired and fed-up. The hotel staff handled it very well and we were all pretty much immediately given room keys when we presented our passports, it was well organised.

The room was very good, clean and the bath was amazing. I am due to return tomorrow, through choice, hence I remembered to review the stay and I must be honest I've been a little disappointed thus far with the service, hopefully they will redeem themselves.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Dear Daniel,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us so long after your stay with us. You will notice also that I have left a message for you to understand your disappointment pre arrival with this stay. Please let me know what your concern is so that we can improve metters.