“Good Recovery” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Tenterden, United Kingdom
“Good Recovery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed for several nights and had a number of poor room service experiences, however the customer service staff and manager were understanding, apologetic and made up for what I genuinely believe was not the normal experience. I look forward to a revisit to appreciate the real Macdonald experience.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Andrew,

In opening my sincere apologies once again for the shortfall; having said that thank you as I'm really pleased that you have highlighted just how quickly the matter was resolved as soon as we were made aware allowing us to return to our usual level of consistency and prompt service standards.

Thanks also for your continued loyalty to our hotel and The Macdonald Hotels and Resorts brand it is appreciated and never assumed.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I have never written a review, I booked this last minute.. but felt compelled to write this, as the staff here are amazing! Firstly, the concierge came to find me out in the street when I couldn't work out how to get into the car park. Secondly, when my car broke down. Scott helped me jump start in, meaning I didn't miss my work conference. The hotel is clean, great location for manchester picadilly but the staff are the BEST I have come across in a hotels. Thank you for a great stay!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Sarah,

I can't say much more than thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience highlighting so well what our great team strive to achieve with each and every guest.

I shall pass it onto all of them as they all deserve a well done.

Old Colwyn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here recently whilst attending a conference. I remember this building as the BT building years ago so nice to see the transformation. Literally 60 second walk from Piccadilly Station. Nice welcome at check in. Huge comfortable room. Good breakfast. Bar is OK but does shut early. Only criticism are the bedrooms need a bit more privacy. The windows are huge and it's either curtains closed or full on unrestricted views from Piccadilly Station. There's no happy medium. Sort this and it would be 5 stars.

Room Tip: Face away from Piccadilly Station if you can.
Dear Dylan,

Thanks for your very kind review it is appreciated especially for where you highlight the friendliness of our great team. With the windows feedback I genuinely believe that because every one of our rooms allows for the sunshine to pour in whilst providing for a huge perspective of Cottonopolis in all its glory it is one of our most positive features and our rooms with the most windows are the most popular as booked by and commented upon by our guests.

That said as with every piece of feedback I shall take it away and look at what we can do to improve on the situation from your view (apologies for the pun) and so exceed your expectations on your next and future visits.

Thank you once again for all your kind words and we look forward to your return sometime soon.

Leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed here at the weekend me & my partner to celebrate my birthday. Hotel was a bit of a pain to find and so was the car park however after a few phone calls to reception and driving round the block 4 times we made it to the car park At £20 a night to park it is a little steep however we paid it & checked in. Room was nice, spacious & clean the bed was extremely comfy and the views onto the station were ok. Little disappointed that the mini bar hadn't been stocked and was empty and poor choice of tea & coffees 2 sachets of Nescafé and only 2 little milk cartons at £99 a night you expect a little better than this???
After reading reviews I was expecting a swimming pool however was told at reception there isn't one so not entirely sure what there actually is?
Taxi called to go into he centre as it is a 10 min walk to Spinningfields
Didn't stay for breakfast but check out was simple and pleasant
Overall Its a lovely hotel however for the money a room is I would look elsewhere next time on my return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear LubyLou,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your kind feedback.

Please be assured that we will work on the areas that we can resolve as always. With regards to our Car Park it is literally 10 yards from the hotel but I know guests arriving into the City have to negotiate the one way system like with all the city centre hotels; to that end we put on our website the postcode of M1 2AD, Berry Street which guides you straight in.

We do have a fantastic Spa experience with a superb thermal suite however there's never been a swimming pool in the hotel and of course we've never advertised as such.

That said I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay and if you would be so kind as to offer us a further opportunity to stay with us I'm certain we be able to exceed your expectations.

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed here as part of a work trip. From arriving in the car park laden with bags the concierge arrived to help us with out being asked the trip was great. The reception staff were efficient, the room was massive, clean and well decorated. Breakfast was lovely and so were staff.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Sara,

Thank you for what is a lovely review as it highlights so well what our team aspire to do daily for each and every guest.

We look forward to your return sometime soon.

Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel recently prior to a work event.

After a long drive found it really difficult to find the car park, apparently it has a different post code to the hotel!

Had a few problems checking in (fault of the booking agent not the hotel) which were dealt with by a friendly and efficient receptionist (sorry I can't remember her name).

The room was huge, very clean and comfortable. Decided to order room service rather than eat in the restaurant, food came really quickly but I was really disappointed by the £7 fruit salad, I was looking forward to a fresh fruit salad, but actually got a bowl of tinned fruit - certainly not what I was expecting!

I would stay again, but would probably opt to travel by train rather than car as Piccadilly station is only a short walk away.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Janjan26
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Janjan,

Thank you for your kind review it is appreciated although I was a little concerned about your disappointment with our Room Service Fruit Salad offering which of course I will come back to you about as I have sent a message separately to understand the date of your stay and the time your order was delivered.

Many thanks also for the kind words about the team and our hotel although we do put a specific postcode on our Car Park even though it is just 10 yards from the hotel as it guides visitors arriving by car directly through the City's one way system.

Paul Bayliss MBE
The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa.
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

My partner and I stayed in the hotel in an Executive Double Room when we went to watch Cirque Du Soleil at MEN arena. Postcode given to us led us directly to the hotel car park which is secure - it's a little expensive though at £20 per night considering you are staying in the hotel. Staff at reception were very friendly and helpful, gave us all the information we needed. The hotel has a bit of a funny smell in the corridors - but other than that was decorated nicely and signposted well. Room was very big, nicely decorated and had everything that you needed, we particularly loved that we could play music from the TV to a speaker in the bathroom so you can relax in the bath with music. Oversized bath was amazing!!

We went down to the Spa at 8am and there was one other couple in there, we were a little unsure where to go initially but then worked out that you went through the changing rooms to the other side. The spa had not been set up ready for visitors, steam room was cold, one sauna was cold until we put water on it - could have been set up better, it was also pitch black and very difficult to see where you are going. There was very little Ice in the ice room. We also got stuck in the Rock Salt sauna - be careful with the door, you have to really push it hard to get it open - we had a bit of a panic at first. Could not find any towels to be used anywhere, luckily we brought some down with us. Having hair dryers and straighteners in the changing rooms is really good though! Other than above the spa was nice and we wish we had also tried the gym. Also we didn't actually realise there was a swimming pool until afterwards, which we would have used, read through the visitors book etc - would be good to point people in the right direction!

BREAKFAST WAS HEAVEN!!! If you stay here then go and have breakfast - it's amazing! Anything you could possibly want and the chef will cook your eggs any way you like! I really enjoyed my breakfast and would definitely recommend it. The only bad point was that when we asked for milk, the waitress simply took it off another table that she had been clearing, I don't know how long it had been there but it would have been nice to have a fresh pot. Also no options for lactose free in terms of milk, cheese etc.

We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again, the only thing I would say is that the hotel is lacking in personality a bit, it has everything, is spotlessly clean but there is no vibe about the place.

Room Tip: Pick a room higher up and on the side that overlooks the main road because there is a good view of M...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Hallie,

Thanks so much for your kind review it is appreciated and of course with all feedback whilst our team work rtirelessly to make sure every guests stay exceeds expectations we look always for ways to improve and so your review has allowed for this to occur thank you.

We look forward to your return where I believe you will see further enhancements and concepts to further ingratiate the experience for our guests.