Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Hotels.com
US$138
US$124
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$126
US$98
  • Free Internet
6,336 results
All reviewsthermal suitepiccadilly stationcar parklovely hotelcity centremini barlovely roomexecutive roomreception staffstayed here for one nightcomfy bedsaturday nightbathapolloslippersconcert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 June 2014

A friend and I stayed here for 1 night as part of a spa package deal which included a 2 course meal a breakfast and also 2 treatments in the spa and it was a bargain.
The spa was clean and the staff ever so friendly. The spa doesn't have a pool unfortunately which was a shame.
Our meal that evening really hit the spot and was complemented by happy hour cocktails they even let us bulk order our cosmo's as the happy hour was almost up! The bar staff were equally as friendly as we set up camp for the evening in there to relax in a very nice atmosphere.
Finally the room was excellent extremely spacious and the shower room lovely.

The location of the hotel is brilliant, right on top of the train station..... We had a view of it from our room great for the train spotters! We parked in their secure car park which is an extra but liked the security and closeness to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Rugga_mad,

Thanks for all your kind words about your stay and experience they are appreciated and of course I'm really pleased that all of what we do was enjoyed.

It goes without saying that we'd be delighted to see you back here very soon.

All the very best

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here between 23-26 June. On the morning of 24 June I was awoken at 4.30am by a fire alarm. Everyone evacuated the hotel but it took ~10 minutes for any staff to appear. When the individual arrived they then started taking a role call but was unclear what was going on the individual had no clear role of authority or telling you what was going on (there was no high visibility jacket, loudspeaker, etc to identify the individual as being in charge. The role call took ~45 minutes as other guests were having to inform each other of what was happening not the member of staff. The staff member then disappeared without any explanation. ~15 minutes later what appeared to be a kitchen worker appeared with a loudspeaker and informed the waiting guests that the alarm wasn't caused by a fire or a test- they then disappeared. Guests then re-entered the building with the alarm still going off & without being told to as there was no-one there to stop them. I presume this was against H&S policies as there would be no way to tell if a real fire started as everyone was ignoring the fire alarm. After 11/2h the alarm finally stopped. It took over a day and after several complaints to the hotel and guests checking out that the hotel offered an explanation.

A note was left in guests rooms which stated 'the initial alert was caused by a guest setting off the alarm for reasons unclear' and then 'taking it upon himself to tamper with the sensor'. Other guests also tampered with the sensor in an attempt to halt the alert. It took 11/2 hours for the night staff to check all of the sensors. The note also informed that as guests were complaining on check out that an audit was undertaken but they found zero issues of concern -surprising considered the lack of communication and guests occupying there rooms whilst an emergency evacuation alarm was ringing. The note then asked guests to 'not touch sensors' in the future. Considering this was a select few guests it came across as patronising and condescending.
I'm not sure what happened to 'the customer is always right' but it didn't seem to exist on this occassion as the blame was laid on guests and little words of apology from the hotel.

The hotel offered a vague apology and no good will gesture which would have gone a long way at 6 am after being awake for 11/2 hours with an alarm going off.

If it had been a real fire someone could have been injured due to the lack of organisation and communication. I expected higher levels of regard for guests safety and good will from a Macdonald hotel. I certainly will never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ms_RB2013
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Rebecca,

Many thanks for altering your initial review as there were quite a few more unfair assumptions.

To be honest sometimes you can't do right for wrong. The team first of all reacted in an extremely safe manner to an emergency situation and then we informed guests with minimum delay in a very honest way about why the matter occurred and the impacting issues the following day.

As all guests would anticipate there's zero compromise on safety in any hotel or public building and we train our team regularly on the delivery of safety evacuations as I'm sure all organisations do. Once the team knew that it wasn't an emergency but mindless foolhardiness they concentrated on solving that problem so we could get guests back in as quickly as possible. As with all new experiences we will learn from the event and improve.

I can't condone the actions of these guests but I support my team fully for being impeccably safe and then working on resolving the issue that was stopping guests from being allowed back into the hotel in the quickest possible way; the impact may have been that communication could have been better but please be assured that the scenario was unique in many ways as explained within my note to you it didn't impact on safety at that time but it required all of the system to be returned to normal status and the tampering of sensors was barring this return status. All of the guests I have spoken to already fully understood this.

In alternate to the view that the letter to guests came across as partronising or condescending many have also said it was delivered quickly and so allowed them to understand what occurred informing them of the pressure the team were put under by people you would presume should know better. Whilst I was at pains to highlight that we fully appreciate the inconvenience this caused to reasonable guests, like yourself, and we can only thank them including yourself for your patience.

Many thanks once again for being kind enough to pass on your comments it is appreciated.

The Macdonald Hotel and Spa

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Wanted a good hotel for a romantic weekend,I was a bit apprehensive because of the location by the station, how wrong I was.the hotel was fabulous.From the minute I asked if we could leave our cases before our check in time, they couldn't have been more helpful. We had our room three hours early, the room itself had everything you could want, cut glass water glasses, Bose speaker for the music, the views took your breath away so high up.the bathroom even had speakers in, a large bath and massive walk in shower.although expensive the breakfast choice was the best I've seen.pure luxury throughout will return again and again

Room Tip: Try and get a room high up for the view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jean L
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Jean,

What a lovely review thank you and I'm so pleased that we exceeded your expectations. Our Scottish Steak Club restaurant is very highly thought of and I know that both Chef and Richard do all that they can to deliver a great experience alongside fabulous bedrooms, a superb spa and a relaxing Bar and Lounge

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and loved it. The hotel is very close Piccadilly station. The staff cant do enough for you. We were surprised at how big our room was and bathroom, room had a great view over looking Manchester. The spa was fantastic with heated seats, sauna etc, definitely worth a visit when staying there.
There was alot of chose for breakfast with chef serving stations cooking eggs to your requirements.
We will definitely be back and would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a central location in Manchester and abit of luxury.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AliceJLS

Dear Alice,

What a very kind review thank you for all your words as they are appreciated by the team.

It goes without saying that we'd be delighted to see you back here very soon.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Stayed there for an weekend with my wife to be for her birthday. phoned hotel before hand to ask them to put a bottle of wine in the room for when we arrived(which they did). Booked a double and was very impressed by the size of the room. bed was very comfy and great size(think i should buy one of those mattress). My fiance went and had some spa treatment which she thoroughly enjoyed while i sampled the the beer in the bar. As i have only been to Manchester a few times and do not really know where places, shops and night life are , the staff were very helpful and gave us loads of information that was very helpful. We went out and explored a bit but me being a ding bat, i had left my phone in the bar and when i came back i was amazed that the staff picked it up and saved it for me,very honest of them, so big thank you to the bar staff and one of the managers(Neil i think). slept really well and enjoyed the breakfast!!! we definitely going to go back.... BRILLIANT HOTEL

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denver l
GenManManchester, General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Dear Denver I,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for all your kind words they are appreciated. I'm really pleased that we managed to exceed your expectations in a number of ways and alongwith Neil I will pass on your kind comments.