“Great Rooms and Breakfast”

Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 26 August 2014

The hotel rooms are large and spacious. The bathrooms are enormous and the shower is really large with a separate bath.
If you book bed and breakfast you have the option of having a hamper breakfast in your room rather than eating in the restaurant. The hamper is deluxe and worth a go.
The hotel is walking distance from Manchester Picadilly station which is really helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Dear Deborah,

Thank you for such a kind review and I'm so pleased that you have highlighted our Breakfast Hamper as it really is that good and I will post it on our Twitter account @macmanchester for other guests to see.

We hope to see you back here very soon.

All the very best.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel and Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (6,227)

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The hotel is very close to the station and to the shopping centre. The breakfast was nice...rooms were big and spacious as well as the bathroom being clean. The hotel staff were pleasant...generally a nice hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear OhemaRay,

Thanks for the succinct but really positive review of your time with us and I'm so pleased that you really enjoyed your time in the City and that we were part of that.

The Macdonald Manchester Hotel ad Spa

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Nice warm welcome on arrival. Room a good size, very clean, modern feel. Staff friendly and courteous. On returning one evening I found there was an envelope slipped under my door. Inside was a very formal note from the management on hotel headed paper.... What could it be? I was to report to reception to receive a message..... Fearing it might be something serious, I went immediately there.... Oh sir, I was told, it's just a reminder to pay for your newspapers (£1) before you leave....!! Quite bizarre really - they must have had a few guests do a runner without settling their paper bill I guess! Other than that curious and rather unnecessary event, a pleasant enough stay. I would stay again - and probably settle my paper bill up front!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kernowcouple,

Thanks for highlighting your concern with regards to the passage of information as I too believe its a little over the top and will ask the nights team to be a bit more sensible in the way that they present their information.

That said the overwhelming feeling is that you enjoyed yourselves and I'm so pleased that we were part of that experience. We'd be delighted to have the opportunity to look after you once again.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of June 2024. Beautiful room and bathroom, very clean and modern. Breakfast was fab. Cost a lot to park the car but being in a city centre I suppose it's expected. There are closer hotels to the shops/bars/restaurants, but if you don't mind walking or a short taxi it's perfect here :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear S J,

Many thanks for highlighting your pleasure whilst staying at our hotel and enjoying Manchester. It is appreciated and of course we really look forward to your return sometime soon. Really pleased that you enjoyed our fabulous breakfast as it is very special.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I'm really fed up with being massively overcharged !,, The only restaurent I've ever visited ( and trust me I've done lots ) that had the brass neck to,charge me double for a sharing plate !!! Yes that's right order a sharing plate for two and they charge you twice .
It was pride , I was keen to,get out and see the parade ( service abysmally slow ) so I just signed and went .Later looked at it...£79 quid for
I club sandwich
1 sharing platter
2 large glasses of wine
3 small glasses of wine
1 coffee
I had a three course meal for two , bottle of wine , liqueur coffee , large glass of wine ...tip and £20 change from one of the best restaurants in Manchester
Don't ever eat at Macdonald unless you like poor service, average food and being ripped off !!

Stayed: October 2013
7  Thank Lyndam91
Manager ., General Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Lyndam91,

Many thanks and wow what a collection of reviews but York Minster rated as poor? Can we agree to disagree on some of your views.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

Me and my partner went there on a friday night without having a booking, the night manager was very helpful and kind and gave us a room and explained everything. We were supposed to leave the room at 12.00pm and we run a bit late, we got at the reception at 12.15pm and the girl on the front desk charged us £10.00 for 15mins!!! .... i've been in a lot of hotels and it never happened! usually someone will come and knock at the door at the check out time or give you a ring from the front desk but they didn't do neither of these things.... We enjoyed the hotel but the end of it ruined my opinion of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MissBnrrd

Dear Lat,

Thanks so much for your kind comments and I'm disappointed that you were with regard to the check out facility that we offer which I have to say with regard to your time with us was a little bit more generous than has been mentioned.

That said it otherwise appears that you enjoyed your time with us so on your next visit I hope that we can deliver the kind of stay that is thoroughly enjoyed by you in all ways.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is a lovely hotel that is very modern and well kept. The rooms are very spacious and nicely furnished. The bathroom is amazing with a spacious bath and huge walk in shower. If you book here you wouldn't be dissapointed with the accomodation. I had a room on the 8th floor which afforded really nice views across the city.

When I arrived the reception had trouble authorising my mastercard debit card and said it was declined. The account had plenty of funds and I continued to use it all around Manchester with no problems. When I arrived home I remembered that last time I stayed in this hotel there was a similar issue so I can't understand why they cannot seem to take payment from my card? This was annoying as it meant I had to use a credit card to pay for the room which I didn't want to do.

I had a room service bill of £20 which I paid with cash when I left, only to get an email later that day to say I had left without paying. Bit annoying.

Overall this is a great hotel and I would reccomend.

Room Tip: Higher floors have best views