“Great value for money”

Ranked #49 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
England
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 4 April 2009

We stayed at the MacDonald for one night with friends. The rooms were very spacious, well-appointed and spotlessly clean. The location by Piccadilly Staton is excellent, and the room only price via Booking.com was really good. If you book breakfast at the hotel before 10pm the night before you can get it for £10, which is a fair price as the breakfast is ok, but not fantastic, at peak times the wait for tables and the service is quite slow. We used the thermal spa which was very nice, but a little small, and had no pool, pluunge pool or jacuzzi - which would have made it that bit better.
Overall though good value for money and we'd return.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Inbetweenholidays
Guest_Relations_9, Guest Services Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 April 2009
We are most grateful for your very kind comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
scotland
Reviewed 26 March 2009

Loved this hotel. I was on a shopping trip and could not ask for a better location. the hotel is a stones throw away from the train station and a few minutes walk from shops and bars. Staff were very pleasant. our room spacious, clean and well equipped. Breakfast was very good but did not dine in the hotel in the evening so can't comment on meals. Overall we had a lovely stay and would not hesitate to book this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank paycheck
Guest_Relations_9, Guest Services Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2009
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you are coming back.
Teesside
Reviewed 23 March 2009

An allround excellent hotel. Efficient check in, huge room with huge bed, one of the most comfortable hotel beds we've had. Really nice bathroom. Plenty of staff around if you did need to ask anything. The spa facilties were really good, one sauna seemed to be out of order, but it happens. Didnt use the gym this time, but it looked really well equipped.
Breakfast's were excellent, with loads of choice, and good efficient service. Would recommend to anyone, and will definately return.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barnandfreda
Thank you for your review, I am Delighted that your coming Back!
UK
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Myself & 3 family members, stayed the weekend at this hotel to celebrate my 30th. The hotel is ideally located withtin walking distance of Piccadilly station (I could see the platforms out of our bedroom window) No issues, hotel was very clean and the rooms were trendy and well kept. I would definately return to this hotel!

I booked this hotel via quidco.com (Cashback cooperative which transfers affiliate revenue from tracked online shopping transactions to its members). The room was £100 per night, per room (no breakfast) but got £16 back via this website by using Hotels.com (worthwhile to use in this credit crunch!)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FayCharlstonUk
Thanks for your review your feedback is highly valued.
Poole
Reviewed 11 March 2009

I stayed at the hotel as part of a lastminute.com promotion to see the Killers play at the MEN Arena. The hotel is located just a few minutes walk from Picadilly station, one of the major transport hubs in central manchester. Upon Arrival I experience a friendly and efficient check-in. I had a room facing London Road on the eighth (top) floor of the hotel with breathtaking views of the manchester skyline (especially at night). Room facilities included a Tea/Coffee Maker (including hot chocolate!), Luxury Double Bed (Very soft - Great for a nights sleep) and satellite TV. The bathroom consisted of Bath and Power Shower. Along with speaker with audio from the TV in the lounge!
The room was a very good size considering you are near enough in Manchester City centre.
I had breakfast at the hotel at a rate of £10 which in my opinion represented excellent value for money with friendly and attentive service along with a wide choice.]
I would recommend this hotel to both friends and family and can't wait to book anoher break at the hotel in the near future

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank woodylegion
Guest_Relations_9, Guest Services Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 March 2009
Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am Delighted you are coming back.
Cramlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Check-in was quick and easy and the hotel was very easy to find....you can see it from the train as you approach piccadilly station. We paid £100 for a lady traveller room inc breakfast for 2.

Room was of an excellent standard....complimentary mineral water, a large selection of tea and coffee, GHD straighteners, toiletries and even wine glasses which was a nice touch. Our bedroom had 2 double beds and a massive bathroom with a very roomy shower and deep bath.

The spa was excellent and very tranquil. The hotel had a buy one get one half price offer on for treatments and I indulged in a facial and leg treatment. The treatments were very professional and afterwards we were invited to relax in a candle lit room with soothing music, complimentary drinks and fruit and plenty of louners with various throws over them which was a nice touch. I did not use the themal suite as I am pregnant, however my friend informed me it was small yet perfectly formed.

The bar was large although a little expensive - £12 for a bloody mary and appletizer and I feel that some bar nibbles would not go amiss when you are spending this much on drinks. Also, although on the cocktail menu, the bar staff were unable to locate any tabasco for my friend's cocktail which was a little disappointing.

As I am heavily pregnant and it was raining, we got a taxi into the centre of town for a meal. It was only £4 and could have easily been walked in 10 minutes.

Breakfast was fabulous - we got seated straight away at about 10:30. Coffee and toast was brought over to our table straight away and then we helped ourselves to freshly squeezed juice, a cooked breakfast, pastries, fruit and cereal. There was plenty to choose from and you could also order items such as kippers from the menu.

Overall, this hotel has an excellent location and I cannot fault it for what we paid. If you look on lastminute.com you can often get a room for £60 which is great value for money.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sam_Rickelton
Guest_Relations_9, Guest Services Manager at Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 18 March 2009
Thank you for the review. We always welcome back feedback from our guests, it is the very best way of finding out exactly what they want and tailoring our services and products to match their needs
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Had great difficulty locating entrance to car park, to find it full so had to park at open NCP nearby, I could not get a 24hr ticket so had to return before midnight to re ticket. Check inn quick and easy, very pleasant staff. Room very clean, excellent size and comfort, bathroom probably the largest I have come across. Restaurant location a bit unusual. Evening meal was very good with the exception of staff who came across a bit disinterested, one meal came with sauce (Not requested) so returned. Menu stated large wine list, quiet small from what I was shown. After dinner went to bar for a drink only to be told to sit at a table and someone would serve us, but this service a bit slow for the number of staff around, too busy talking. All in all for the rate we paid I should not complain but if at normal rate you could find same standard hotels but with better service.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roombooker
Thank you for your valued feedback. I am not complacent about our failures and I have discussed the issues with my team involved. I can assure you that more care will be taken in the future to ensure that the usual high standards of service and quality are adhered to.