Macdonald Manchester Hotel & Spa
US$140
  • Restaurant
Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$74
  • Breakfast included
US$161
Radisson Blu
  • Pool
Princess St. Hotel(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$158
Travelocity
US$97
  • Free Internet
6,329 results
All reviewsthermal suitepiccadilly stationcar parklovely hotelcity centremini barlovely roomexecutive roomreception staffstayed here for one nightcomfy bedsaturday nightbathapolloslippersconcert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2009

We went on a girlie weekend away & stayed at the Macdonald for 3 nights. I'd requested a room on the ladies only floor on my booking. When we checked in the receptionist (Rachel) apologised that she couldn't give us a room with a bath & shower & if we wanted one we could be allocated to a higher floor. We were more than happy with just a shower and were allocated room 115 (ladies floor). Our view was of Manchester Piccadilly station but we couldn't hear the trains or the traffic so it wasn't a problem. We had wine glasses & GHD's in our room. The beds were very comfy & the shower was fab. So powerful so you felt really clean. It was also massive! Could of got 3 people in there! The room temperature was a bit on the warm side but on the Saturday night seemed to be a bit on the hot side and no matter what we did with the a/c it didn't get any cooler. Also noticed a bit of a damp smell when we came back to the room but it disappeared quickly. It was all very clean except behind the docking station for the Ipod. The dust was really thick! The only room service we ordered was ice & they always brought it within 10 mins of the call. I thought the ladies only floor meant that there would be some sort of security (swipe card to enter etc) but there was none so I didn't really see the purpose of having a ladies only floor.
We popped down to the spa to enquire about treatments but the lady on reception just tried to sell us an hour in the spa as she had no appointments for it. She didn't explain about treatments, ask us what we were interested in or show us round so we didn't bother with the spa in the end. We went back to the room & read about the treatments available & they looked fab but the 'pushing for a sale' kinda put us off.
We wanted to use the lift when we checked out (bit much shopping to carry down the stairs!) and ended up waiting nearly 15 mins as there's only 2 lifts and they're not that big so were always packed by the time it got to our floor.
Would just like to add that the staff were very helpful especially Rachel on reception & the guy who put our bags in the luggage store (his mum had bought a 'nurses are good' bag apparently!) while we went shopping after we checked out.
If you are arriving by train leave by the Fairfield Road exit and the hotel is less than 5 mins walk.
Piccadilly gardens & the start of the main shopping area was about 10 mins walk & Canal Street was 5-10 mins walk.
It may sound like I'm focusing on negatives but they didn't ruin our time in the hotel at all. Would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed in this hotel about 4 weeks ago and had a terrible experience. Firstly the service in the restaurant was very poor (though when I told them this they wiped teh whole bill for 2) and then my shower hose detached and sprayed everywhere and I had to change rooms in my jammies!! However I was quite impressed by the service recovery. The duty manager was helpful and apologetic and the hotel manager met me when I checked out to give his personal apologies next morning. So I went back yesterday. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms huge with separate large shower and bath. There are GHDs as well as the usual hairdryer and air-con in the room. Although my room faced the busy main road it was quiet so the glazing must be very good. It's very close to Piccadilly Station.
Glad I went back. It was good and compares quite well with both the Hilton and the Crowne Plaza which I'd also recomend.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Great location in the city centre, next to student's halls and Piccadilly, city's main train station. Very clean and spacious rooms. Bathroom with bathtap and the largest shower I have every seen are a plus. Buffet breakfast excellent, especially for the English breakfast lovers. Only drawback the waiters, most of whom appear to be inexperienced. Certainly recommend it and would definately choose it for any future visits to Manchester.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank xaky
Reviewed 9 November 2009

Paid for this trip with 1500 Airmiles gained by signing up for a credit card prompted by Martin Lewis's website!

Arrived and checked in with no problem. Asked about the upgrades that were being shown on the screen behind the reception desk with a City View room being an extra £15 so we took that offer up.
We were pleased with the 7th floor room, quite large with decent features (trouser press/iron & board/tv and Bose ipod docking station) and views across the city. The room was clean and the bathroom was decent sized too.
Breakfast was good. A good selection of food and we didn't have to wait for seating either.
Didn't use the Spa facilities so no comments there.

On checking out, we were told that even though we'd upgraded there was no exra charge.!! - Thanks for that.

Negatives.
The lifts took quite a while to arrive at times but that wasn't a major issue
The whole hotel needs to lower the temperature a little. It was a bit too hot and we eeded the A/C the whole night.
The bar closed at 3:00am (ish), but that probably did us a favour and helped us make the 11:00am check out bu t i thought they were supposed to stay open until the residents didn't want any more drinks!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Stayed here for one night for a gig at the nearby Manchester Apollo. Made the mistake of getting a taxi from Piccadilly -- literally two mins if you leave by the back entrance! Check in was very smooth and professional. I don't know the name of the very pretty brunette who was on duty on Friday afternoon but she couldn't have been more helpful: finding a phone no. and then booking a restaurant for us, getting a taxi etc. 7th floor City View room was fine though dear (116 quid R/O even with a Laterooms discount) and a bit old fashioned (lots of dark wood). Bathroom with tub and walk-in shower was a nice size. King size bed was very comfy.

Niggles.

Our minibar was completely empty, the hairdryer had been nicked (only the diffuser was there) and when we reported it we were told that they were short and they tended to move them around!
Reception took absolutely ages to answer the phone on Sat. morning to ask for a hairdryer.
Breakfast was a disaster. Long queues for no discernible reason. There were loads of empty tables but we still had to wait for 20+ mins to get a table and were then seated right at the front of the room near the buffet / kitchen.
Food was good and a good choice but the habit of staff refilling your coffee / tea (rather than you getting your own pot) meant you were waiting for ages. I mean we had paid for brekkie in advance (10 pound a head as opposed to 17.95) so they knew how many would be dining! One manager said they were short-staffed but I reckon they were just badly organised.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple