“Don't waste your time”
Review of Livebait - CLOSED

Livebait
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Famous for its fresh and simple seafood, Livebait hooks Manchester diners with its cheerfully inviting approach to dining. Old favourites such as cod and chips and Dorset crab are crowd-pleasers, but the menu also features more unusual options, such as the fragrant fish & shellfish curry and the sustainably caught wild striped sea bass. The black and white tiled restaurant interior matches the straightforward attitude of the kitchen, while lighter bites are available all day in the bar area.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I booked this restaurant for my mum's 70th birthday celebrations. I spoke to a gentleman on the 6th August and booked for the 10th August. We all travelled into Manchester for lunch at Livebait but when we arrived at the restaurant the gates were padlocked and the restaurant was closed! You can imagine my reactions - confusion, disappointment then anger when I realised what had happened! I am disgusted that such an apparently beautiful restaurant can have such appalling customer service and not even one ounce of common courtesy to ring me and let me know that they weren't going to be open so that I could make alternative arrangements before dragging the whole family into the centre of Manchester, paying to park only to be faced with a padlocked restaurant! Needless to say I definitely won't be recommending this to anyone!

2  Thank Mandy B

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I ha a meal with two pescatarians who appeared to enjoy their mussels, whitebait and prawns. I had the only vegetarian starter and main but it was really good. The salad with beetroot and goats cheese was fresh and delicious and the main of gnocchi with a sage sauce was excellent. This staff were friendly and the venue has A nice relaxed feel.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

You decide - 2 courses of superb food (squid starter and dressed crab main) + 2 glasses of wine = £40. Service could have been a touch better but overall a good meal and I would go back.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Uhm, what is my reticence and why not excellent? The food was fine - my risotto with line caught cod was tasty but not exceptional. My starter of white anchovy bruschetta was tasty - so, what's the problem? I think it just didn't reach a peak for me. My 4 colleagues enjoyed their food as did I but would I rave about this place, sorry, No! For it's reputation it wasn't rocking my boat, I'm afraid! Staff were attentive but all in all not outstanding I'm afraid!

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Had a very disappointing meal here. Crab cocktail which was crab with a cheap bottled seafood sauce poured over (£8.50!!). A few whitebait served in a tiny bucket. The mains were Ok but I only had one small fillet of seabass. The meal lacked any sort of style and flair. This is not an upmarket restaurant at all- the food was clearly put together by someone with little skill. We had a 50% off voucher and it was hardly worth what we paid. To cap it all service was calculated on the bill based on what we would have paid if it was full price. Avoid!

2  Thank Clare S