“First visit really enjoyed”
Review of Tai Pan

Tai Pan
Ranked #329 of 3,035 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Chorlton
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Great food, ordered far to much all were delicious. Fast, efficient service which was great as we were watching a show on at the Apollo. Not somewhere to go if you want a slow romantic evening, everything done through headsets which judging by the scale of the venue helps the quick bar service you get when you order drinks. Will definitely be back

Reviewed 13 July 2016 via mobile

I went on my stag do and order buffet meals for us. Two of my friends are vegetarian, but on closer inspection of the vegetarian buffet it came with prawn toast and duck pancakes, which they couldn't eat. Fortunately they had enough choice on the rest of the menu to eat from. I think that the management needs to address this.

The food is good, although the duck seemed a little dry. I really liked the fruit given to us after the meal. Simple touch that was very much appreciated.

Has a great atmosphere and style about it also.

Reviewed 12 July 2016 via mobile

Visited Tai Pan early evening (about 6pm) on a Monday evening. The place itself is quite large with a lot of tables. It's immediately next door to a Chinese supermarket so we had high hopes for the place.

Was greeted by a friendly waiter as soon as we walked in and shown to a table. The place had a few other diners but was quite empty.

Promptly asked for drinks order and then ordered food. Some dim sum and main courses.

The quality of the food was excellent. Having eaten in a number of Chinese restaurants in Manchester this place is right up there with the best in terms of food quality.

I'm not sure I would travel out of town specially to go to the place as there are so many great places in Manchester but if you're looking for something in that area by the universities and hospitals then I would definitely recommend this place. Very good value and top quality food.

Reviewed 7 July 2016

I used to dine here regularly until they had major hygiene problems a couple of years ago, however they have been given a much improved rating and my friend and I decided to try again, the main reason being they have a free car park, a big plus in Manchester.
The menu doesn't detail any allergens and I have a serious food intolerance. The staff attempted to answer my questions and despite my doubts the food was perfectly acceptable when it arrived.
We dined quite early and the car park was fairly full, with a lot of poor parking so I ended up with my wheels touching a boundary line. During the meal a message came over the tannoy for the owner of my car to report immediately to the cash desk. I was filled with dread, I thought someone had whacked my car. When I went to the desk I was told that they were tidying up the car park and I had to move mine immediately. When I returned after having a lecture in very broken English on my poor two inch out of line parking my meal was stone cold, slimy and inedible. I was pretty annoyed and remonstrated with the manager who advised me that they ask people to move their cars in the middle of their meals all the time and no-one has been annoyed before! Hmmm. We left hungry and decamped to MacDonalds in Ardwick for a safer and more upmarket experience...

2  Thank Rita4801
Reviewed 5 July 2016

Having dined here at least 10 times, you can tell this is one of my regular jaunts. I really like to eat here because the food is great tasting, authentic, and they have have a brilliant vegetarian section on the menu. I have never been let down by the food here, it is excellent. There is one problem, however, and that is that the staff can be a little impersonal and not that friendly, which is why I wouldn't come here for an occasion. The restaurant is always really busy and lots of chinese people come here for big gatherings. The menu is highly geared towards sharing dishes between lots of people, so the portions are very large, but it is also not cheap. My boyfriend who eats meat complains that lots of the meat dishes dont contain vegetables, so if you are ordering one dish for yourself you might get a bit bored of it, I'd recommend ordering a dish that clearly states it comes with vegetables if it is just for you, or else ordering a side dish of greens to share with others. Also, if your are not Chinese they will automatically bring you plates and cutlery, so I always ask specifically for chopsticks and bowls, as per my preference.
If you love authentic chinese food then definately give this place a try, but don't expect a highly personalised experience.

Date of visit: June 2016