“The best sushi in Manchester”
Review of Samsi

Samsi
Ranked #361 of 2,462 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$20 - US$99
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: SAMSI has been trading for 19 years in April, specialising in Japanese cuisine and food stuff. It began as an award-winning restaurant, which quickly expanded into four different cities in the North west of England. In response to customer request we began importing and selling ingredients in retail sizes while continuing to search Japan for the highest quality restaurant ingredients. We research every country for trends in Japanese dining in restaurants, hotels, and in homes. From the UK, we can supply worldwide reliably. Our recent expansion has been the manufacture of Japanese ready-meals in noodle, bento-lunchbox, and sushi packs. These have been developed with Manchester Metropolitan University. The taste test studies carried out by the university supported our ideal that the ready meals are restaurant quality. We not only deal with food products, but we also provide tableware to assist you in experiencing the most authentic Japanese style.
Reviewed 1 March 2013

The sushi here is delicious! The sashimi is fresh and tasty and the gyoza and tempura are delicious. Sauvignon Blanc was a bit expensive but very tasty and cold. The staff have been attentive and friendly every time I have visited. The bento boxes are a must! Very filling and tasty. The banquet menus are tempting but there is just way too much! The decor is a bit dated and the dining space is a bit cluttered with random things, but I am not bothered about this sort of thing when the food is so good. I think the place is charming! There is also a little shop downstairs which sells a wide range of japanese goods. People who are writing bad reviews clearly do not appreciate the quality of the food. 80% of the customers in the restaurant have been Japanese when I have been in; always a good sign!

1  Thank Pippyinthesky

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Had high hopes, having just moved nearby and do love Japanese cuisine. Maybe this was an off night - I'll never know as I won't be returning. Service was unacceptably poor. We ordered red wine, and after a while (quite a while... ) were brought rose, which was taken away wordlessly when we pointed out the confusion. A smile would've helped. After another long wait the red (absolutely lovely by the way) was plonked down on the table - our thank-yous were lost in the cold breeze of a sharply turned back. Ordering food, my friend was literally mid-sentence when the waitress just walked off. Just walked off without a word to the bar, to talk to someone (a friend or colleague) who'd just arrived. No apology or acknowledgement on (eventual) return - as if it hadn't happened. Food arrived without a word or a glance. The place was practically empty, so this kind of service just made the whole ambience even gloomier. It made me less forgiving, too, of the grim and messy downstairs shop area, which you pass through to get to the frankly dismal, and really quite dirty, loos. Delays also gave us plenty of time to contemplate the grotty tabletops, battlescarred and stained. I've never seen a restaurant table without a cloth or mats. Now I know why. We didn't feel tempted to stay (and no-one suggested coffee or dessert) and would have gone sooner if our waitress hadn't decided to ignore us completely when asked for the bill. Just quite nice food (tempura veg a bit underdone, katsui curry OK) and actually lovely wine really couldn't make up for the lack of welcome and snotty service (although the woman who came to our table once the original waitress had decided not to bother, and dealt with our bill, was charming). Perhaps not surprisingly she looked knackered. If I was her I'd have a word with Miss Pickleface.

4  Thank MancsMrs
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Food is consistanly nice, fish are fresh and generous compare to other places. Seasoning is well balanced, no over powering one or another.

Service is good, there is no harsh people,nor long wait. Draft Japanese beer is a nice addition.

In all,I will continue visit there, and recommendation to everyone.

1  Thank Sally W
Reviewed 19 February 2013

Good points:

1. Sashimi was good
2. We arrived at 5.30pm, and despite having a 6pm booking they took us early
3. Mid price range sauvignon blanc was lovely

Bad points;

1. The restaurant stunk of bleach, not the effect you want when going for a light healthy
japanese meal.
2. The restaurant was nearly empty and we were eating at an early time but when I asked for
a different table (we were put between the stairs to the kitchen and the stairs downstairs
and the fourth member of our group was swashed up against a wall and it's drape as we
could not pull table out or waitresses could not have gotten past) we were told we could
not have any of the empty tables we wanted as they sat 5, so one more than our group.
None of these tables were used during our time there.
3. One of our party had to send her chicken teriyaki back 3 times!!! First time the plate was
chipped and dirty; she then sent the rice back as cold, then realised the chicken was cold
(and had a tired looking lemon slice) so in total 3 times. We suspected the meal had been
cooked at lunchtime and reused. When it came back it came with a sauce on it which it
had not had previously but she did not enjoy the taste of it. I think the
restaurant should not have charged us for this or given us a free drink but they did not and
this was reflected in our lack of tip as the waitress did not handle it well.
4, The ladies toilets were very poor, I would only expect to have to pick the toilet roll off the floor/toilet cistern in a pub near closing time, but this was the effect throughout all the cubicles!

I was disappointed as the restaurant website mentions plaudits from Richard and Judy; and various news papers. I would not return and felt let down at what was meant to be a special family gathering.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I went to samsi because I read the trip advisor reviews and was sad to find that the bento box was lacking. It was not fresh and the food had been pre cooked and reheated, maybe it was because It was 5pm not lunch but not dinner??. The dressing on my steak was lovely! The sushi that I did have was nice and the staff are friendly. The supermarket there was great and the guy was really helpful. I would visit samsi again to visit the supermarket but probably not the restaurant.