“Delicious, authentic tapas in a friendly atmosphere”
Review of Evuna Deansgate

Evuna Deansgate
Ranked #27 of 2,355 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$20 - US$66
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Having just devoured four plates of wonderful tapas I can confirm the reviews of others. This place rocks! It's always a good sign when a restaurant is rammed on a Wednesday night. I turned up as a lone diner and was told they were fully booked, but was happy to accept the offer of sitting at the bar as the reviews I had read were so good. Smart move on my part! They were turning customers away at the door all evening. I asked the waiter for his recommendation of tapas. The gambas with garlic and chilli was succulent and flavoursome, the patatas with chorizo was to die for and the vegetable croquettes and chilli fillet steak rounded things off nicely. All washed down with a couple of glasses of house red while I listened with interest to the tutored wine tasting going on at the table next to me. Turns out this place is part tapas bar, part wine importer. Altogether a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stuck to tapas of the month, they know what they are doing, food was lovely, staff too. Was a quick meal before theatre, would love to have a leisurely meal next time. Great.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Myself and three friends booked a table here for 6pm, which was the only time we could do because it was already booked up in advance. Two of my friends had glasses of house wine (red and white) to start the meal, and said they were both very enjoyable.
We ordered about 6 tapas dishes between us, a lot of which made me very nostalgic for the time I had spent living in Spain!
Our bread and olives arrived first, which we dipped in their good-quality balsamic and oil (very important!)
Then our spread of tapas arrived - and a "large" portion of patatas bravas is definitely enough for 4 people! The calamares batter was the best I've ever tried; the stuffed piquillo peppers were incredibly flavoursome; the vegetables were very nicely cooked and the meat dishes we ordered were also delicious.
We had ice cream for dessert, which was a large portion and very rich and decadent. (Not sure why the crema catalana was priced at £9 though...!)
The reason I have removed a star is because the bread wasn't served warm (which is always such a nice treat) and in a few of the dishes we were given 3 things when we were four people. I appreciate cost/ingredient ratios exist etc, but in a restaurant of a tapas-nature such as Evuna, surely it would make sense to let each diner have 1 of each item - or at least advise the customers to order more if necessary? Oh, and the toilets really let the place down: the upstairs dining area is very Spanish and authentic (and myself and my friend, who both speak Spanish, enjoyed the constant Spanish chat from the waiters) but the toilets really aren't up to the same standard. Perhaps also add some Spanish music?!
All in all though: a very enjoyable meal with friends :)

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Not much to add really, food always terrific, service great and excellent value for money whether having the specials tapas menu or from the a la carte. Give it a try, you will not be dissapointed

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We did a lot of searching to find a restaurant in Manchester and all the good ones seem to be in the suburbs. We passed this one in Deansgate in the centre and returned later as all the other local options seemed to be chains. We were fortunate to get a table without a reservation and watched a number of other people being turned away. Having been in Madrid, Seville and San Sebastian last year we have high expectations of tapas and this was excellent. The food was plentiful and unusual. The wine we selected was also very good and was as described by the waiter. A great atmosphere but try not to get a seat close to the door as it can be draughty. If I am back in Manchester I will be making a reservation.