“key 103 deal”

Cuisines: Indian
Manchester, United Kingdom
“key 103 deal”
Reviewed 4 September 2011

I visited the Darbar with a voucher from key 103 which I had paid £9 for a main course for 2 people. This was the last day that we could use the voucher so my partner phoned the restaurant in the week and was told that even with the voucher we did not need to book. We arrived at the restaurant and handed the voucher in and was ushered towards the table. Then a man around 50ish came over with the menu, queried why we hadn't booked and stated that we could order a curry each from part of the menu only. As he said, no rice or naan quite rudely. Talk about second class service. When the popadoms came one has a small dead fly on it. The curries came and we had ordered a basmatic rice between us. The food was not worth making the effort for and as for the rude service, I wish we had just saved the money and had a take out Indian meal from the supermarket. I thought the whole point of offering voucher deals was to encourage new clients. With the reception we received I wouldn't go there again or recommend to anyone.

• Visited September 2011

Cork, Ireland
“Great food in unspectacular surroundings”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

Based on Cabbagelover's continuing reviews of good food, we decided to try this particular restaurant out of the many establishments along Rusholme's Curry Mile. Picking one is a feat in itself given the total inconsistency of reviews here on TripAdvisor for this little part of the world. One suspects that both the owners and rivals are posting good/bad reviews for their own and other restaurants and muddying the water a bit but enough about those shortcomings and onto the restaurant. The restaurant itself is fairly standard-issue in terms of decor and layout - it won't win any prizes for that. The food we received however was very tasty. We had bhajis and some chaat to start with. The former were, as they are everywhere, tasty. The latter, something which neither of us had ever had before, was unusual (being a cold mix of chickpeas, potatoes and spiced liquid) but was again quite tasty. For the mains we had the Traditional Lamb Karahi and Chicken Bhuna. Both were very good with the flavoursome lamb being tender and delicately spiced and the bhuna having a lovely, rich depth to its sauce. We also had a pilau rice (fine, no surprises here) and a garlic naan which could have done with a bit more on the garlic front but was otherwise fine. I saw no cockroaches although the toilet floor could have been a little cleaner with a fair amount of "oversplash" being present. Although we did have to ask for a menu after growing tired of munching on the lovely (but charged for, we think) poppadoms, the service wasn't bad thereafter at all and was always polite or friendly. The 10% discount we were told about on the door was not automatically on our bill but when we pointed it out there was not a problem taking it off. Not the most spectacular establishment in the world on decor, toilet cleanliness and occasionally service but a definite winner on the food front and would go there again.

• Visited August 2011
Keighley, United Kingdom
“cockroaches in male toilets, still fancy food?”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I couldnt believe it when I went to the male toliet upstairs, as it had cockroaches running around.
The food is nothing like real food, i dont know how to cook, but im sure I could do better on my first attempt.
The music was so loud, the only decent thing were the starters. For any muslim who reads the name Darbar and thinks lets stop, take my advice dont.....worst curry house ever.

Visited July 2011
London, United Kingdom
“Avoid - Can cause Food poisioning”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Went to the restaurant cant believe the quality of the food can be so bad and still pricey.
Stay away from the restaurant really bad service, rude and over priced.

Food was not fresh rice was over a week old did cause stomache for my guests.

Never would go there again and try to stay alive.

• Visited July 2011
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The Best In Manchester”
Reviewed 5 June 2011

Firstly, the map indicates the incorrect position of the Darbar. It is on Wilmslow Road opposite Great Western Street.
Secondly the price is in the $10 - $25 range.
I have eaten here several times and never found the quality wanting.
The restaurant has recently been taken over by a new management who have wisely retained the long term chef Akil..
If I had to suggest a place for anybody who wants a true example of deliciously prepared food from th Indian subcontinent, this would unreservedly be the one. If you try the traditional dishes, for example the Traditional Lamb Karahi (TKG), the Traditional Lamb Biryani or any of the others, there may be a slight wait while Akil prepares your food but well worth it.
Thats it but I look forward to reading any subsequent reviews.

• Visited June 2011