“2nd Visit - Less Impressed but still very good”

Mr Thomas's Chop House
Ranked #76 of 2,245 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Mr Thomas's Chop House is a grade II listed building which first opened as a public house in 1870. It's cast iron frame building and terracotta block displaying Art Nouveau motifs is a local institution in Manchester and one of the jewels in Manchester's crown. The managers and staff are committed to keeping Mr Thomas's at the forefront of Manchester life with fine food, fine wines, good beer and great company. Take a look around and come and see us soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
“2nd Visit - Less Impressed but still very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

The first time I visited Mr Thomas's Chop House with my partner, we thoroughly enjoyed the food, the atmosphere and the customer service. Our second visit was still good but was less impressed with the food.

First of all, the corned beef hash (my choice on our first visit) is awesome and is a perfect winter warmer main course. This time I tried the chicken basket. The hot wings were quite good, but the deep fried chicken was less appealing. The actual chicken itself was cooked well and tasty, but the crispy coating was too thick, slightly over cooked and had a little too much paprika (assuming that's what it was). My partner had the cheese and onion pie which she enjoyed.

The bread and peanut butter pudding was pretty amazing as well; very naughty but worth it.

The cheapest red wine was also not bad.

The toilets could be cleaner.

The customer service is excellent.

• Visited May 2014
Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Thank you for your constructive comments we have passed them along to our kitchen team. We do hope you will come along to see us in the future.

• Finnish first
Bury, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

I have often walked past this place and didn't give it a second glance. Looks tiny from the outside and always very busy. Went in on a friend's recommendation. What a surprise! The place is big and very traditional in appearance and atmosphere. It was busy and had a short wait for a table to dine. The prices are slightly more than I expected for pub food, but it certainly wasn't typical pub food quality. The corned beef hash is certainly worth a try and the roast dinners are exquisite. The only recommendation I would make regarding the food is that if you have the roast beef dinner, the beef is medium rare(which is how I like it anyway) so if you like it well done let the waitress know! The service on the whole was good, however one of the waiters was trying to show off, I think, and wasn't writing any of the orders down. Our order was overlooked and some of the other diners got their meals mixed up. It was quickly rectified by one of the other waitresses and apologies were made.

Sharron C, Manager at Mr Thomas's Chop House, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We often get the comment we have walked past for a long time and like you are surprised. Pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit.
Leicester, United Kingdom
“You must try it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

This was the second time we've been, the first six years ago. A place of character with great food, beers and wine. Love the heritage decor. A couple of us went for steak and kidney pudding which must be the calorie intake for a week but was just so wholesome and tasty brilliant. Tried a bottle of Hungarian White which was excellent value. We will return and if you haven't been try it. Only downside was that one of the restaurant windows was broken from the outside and the staff intimated that this had happened before. Sad but restaurant blameless.

Visited May 2014
Thank you for your review and pleased to hear you enjoyed your second visit to us, I know just what you mean about the Hungarian White it is so delicious and good value.
“A special menu in a special pub/resteraunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

We had just arrived in Manchester for the weekend and came across this intriguing pub/resteraunt. It turns out to be very special and would definitely go back next time I visit this city. Food was excellent and the beer very well kept. Loved the decor. Staff very friendly. Manchester centre is so full of franchise outlets now it so pleasant to find this place.

Visited April 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not for light weights”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

Not been for a while but glad I called in.
Great traditional food, and very generous portions.
Eating all my starter was a mistake for me I struggled to finish my main, but tasting that good, I couldn't leave it.
So disappointed that I couldn't manage a dessert, it would have been of the same standard.
Obviously sampled my wife's food and everything brought to the table was great.
Well worth a visit for a great traditional hearty meal.

• Visited May 2014
Glad to hear you called in having not been to see us for a while and you enjoyed your visit.