“Great food - keep an eye on drink prices”

Sokrates Taverna - Sale
Ranked #73 of 2,410 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$13 - US$37
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sokrates Taverna on Northenden Road in Sale is a super-friendly, casual Greek & Mediterranean restaurant serving delicious cuisine from Greece and Cyprus. The Meze menu at Sokrates Taverna with its variety of dishes is perfect for parties and group get-togethers and the restaurant's wine list has an excellent selection of wines plus beers from Greece and Cyprus. From the A'la Carte menu one can enjoy traditional dishes like Stifado (a beef and onion casserole), the classic Mousaka and of course delicious meat skewers (kebabs) cooked on real charcoal.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I really enjoy going to Sokrates - the food is always fantastic; very authentic, home cooked quality greek food. The service can be a bit sterile but is always efficient and the atmopshere is good. I'd recommend keeping an eye on your drinks bill though because they are, in my view, quite expensive. Last time we went was on a Monday night and they do a great £10 offer for a starter and a main (off a specific list) and it was great but for three of us it came to £42 and all we'd had to drink was 5 small glasses of coke - I've paid less than that for soft drinks in 4 star hotels. All in all, it's still very much worth a visit for the food and decent service.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

If you like Greek food and understand the meze concept this place is for you. Lots of little plates of different flavours and colours.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

A simple taverna serving excellent Greek food. Good atmosphere, friendly attentive staff. Highly recommended. It must be the one place in town that doesn't do the ubiquitous 'rib -eye steak' or some variation of it

1  Thank giskard2000
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I was looking for somewhere new to take my girlfriend and while looking on the Onionring website I was searching through the different cuisines and thought of Greek food as we both enjoy it yet we haven't been to a Greek restaurant in the UK yet.

The website is ok but does list all the food and they have plenty of offers on throughout the week and a voucher you can print for money off your bill(only food,not drinks)

The restaurant is located on a fairly busy road with plenty of parking nearby(mostly pay and display before 6pm) but there are some un-yellow lined streets nearby too.

From the outside I'll be honest it looks a bit shabby and the fascias could do with a good clean, but that's the side effect of being on a busy road.

The restaurant is quite small but has the feel of a proper Greek taverna, all the little things that you'll find if you visit one in Greece. The staff are very welcoming and quickly seated us.

As I previously mentioned they have quite a few offers on but we chose to eat from the main menu. The selection of food is good, not too many dishes but enough to satisfy any requirements. We decided on quite a few, particularly the appetizers, as it gave us the opportunity to try different things.

The list is as follows :)

Ktipiti - very tasty, highly recommended :)

The dips come with plenty of pitta bread and plenty for 2 people

Appetizers with cheese;
Spanakopites - very tasty
Fried Haloumi with Pesto - bit rubbery but I liked it.

Seafood Appetizers;
Fried Kalamari - tasty
Fried Prawn Sagnaki - very nice, the prawns were big and the sauce is lovely.

We also had some olives as a starter, you have too, it's the Greek way :)

At this point we were glad that we only chose one main course between us as we were getting full.

Main Course;
Jumbo Mixed Kebab Platter - plenty of meat, and a nice big portion of rice.

I had some Mythos, traditional Greek lager.
My gf had white wine spritzers which on the evening we went were a welcome relief from the heat. She did comment on the wine list being all Greek wines so it added to the feel of an authentic taverna.

Overall the food is excellent, and the service is very good.
The venue delivers on what you would expect and I would definitely return there again and recommend it to everyone.

I would say there are only two minor negatives;
If you were going for a romantic meal it wouldn't be my 1st choice as it can get loud once it gets busy as it is quite small.

The other thing is that inside some of the decor could do with tidying up, a lick of paint here and there and maybe better aircon/fans as it did get very warm and there was no airflow even with the door open.

I would give it a rating of 9/10, one of the best meals we've had and also very reasonably priced.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

I recommend the moussaka it was very tasty and fresh! Friendly staff allowed us to taste one of the dips we were not sure of.