“Honest greek food”

Ranked #63 of 2,435 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$12 - US$35
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Sokrates Taverna on Northenden Road in Sale is a super-friendly, casual Greek & Mediterranean restaurant serving delicious cuisine from Greece and Cyprus. The Meze menu at Sokrates Taverna with its variety of dishes is perfect for parties and group get-togethers and the restaurant's wine list has an excellent selection of wines plus beers from Greece and Cyprus. From the A'la Carte menu one can enjoy traditional dishes like Stifado (a beef and onion casserole), the classic Mousaka and of course delicious meat skewers (kebabs) cooked on real charcoal.
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have just returned from Sokrates tonight and i have to say the food was excellent.

Being a bit of a greek foodie after visiting Greece over a dozen of times, we had high expectations and this place did not disappoint.

We both went for the meze and boy it was tasty. Lots of really good dips, meat and greek treats.

Hospitality was perfect and the 2 guys were great.

Thank you so much, we will come back one day.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Found the portions very big, but not very tastey. Houmos & pitta nice. Staff nice. I know it's a Greek taverna but I do think they need to spend a bit on the look of the place inside & out. A lot of competition in sale now.

1  Thank Toddy5156
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Loved all the food at this restaurant, even the vegetarian options. We always have the mezze banquet as it gives us a variety,I really wouldnt know what to order off the main menu as everything is so delicious!
Been here more times than anywhere in Sale, good value for money aswell as nice helpful staff. We even booked here for my fiancees 40th birthday for 22 of us. Everyone loved the food and wine on offer. The manager allowed me to go early and set up the table decorations and balloons etc. I remembered when everyone was eating that we had a vegetarian guest.....I was mortified! I told the manager, and literally 5 minutes later.....a vegetarian platter was brought out with no fuss or extra charge! Fantastic place :)
Although from outside and inside its a bit tired looking, once the foods in your mouth you dont care!

1  Thank NOONOOMANCHESTER
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Second time at this restaurant. Lovely starters. Not so great main course. My tsatsiki was more like garlic mayo.. And yes I've had tsatsiki on many a Greek Island. The service was slow but very friendly.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

Visited on a Sunday evening , fairly busy at 7 pm . Had already planned to have the meze and downloaded the 20% voucher , the meal then costing £16 per head . Very very good value and huge selection of starters tzatziki , humous , beans , aubergine dips to name a few also came with lots of hot pitta . Main dishes inc moussaka , stifado and chicken with rice . Everything was excellent , service was good , wine was good too . Will return

1  Thank Janep18