“Not much”

Kyriad Colmar - Centre Gare
Ranked #29 of 39 Hotels in Colmar
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Although Colmar was perfect this hotel wasn't what we excpected.It is near the train station and the centre.The room was ok but the breakfast was poor and there was a man standing next to the buffet checking what we were eating...They hardly spoke english.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vivi s

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I am a single traveller, 55 years old, and I recently stayed at the Kyriad. I was there for a week. The hotel is only 5 minute walk from the old city and just a bit over that from the station - and that's walking with a large suitcase in tow. You can pay a lot more for an identical hotel in the old city.

The alsace region can be expensive, so rather than waste money on superficial nicities you would be better off staying at the Kyriad and spending your money in the fine restaurants of Colmar

The rooms are fairly basic but are good value. They are kept very clean. And, although I am XL size I had no problem sitting on the lavatory in the correct postion! (See a previous review).

The hotel staff are a great asset to the hotel. They were full of helpful advice, spoke a good level of english, and helped me with my french when I was encountering problems.

I had no problem with the trains -even though I slept with my window fully open (at night, I think the trains are 1 every hour).

It is in a more residential area so do expect some noise from resisdents. (There was only one night here I thought this was a problem -but it was 11pm on a Saturday.) Heavens above, People actually live here!

Meals are available in the restaurant every night except Sundays - and these are very well cooked, but check the times. Breakfast is the same every day, which was the only downside for me.

In terms of the hotel looking shabby, it needs a makeover agreed., but to descibe it as 'shabby' suggests that it was dirty, which it certainly wasn't.

Room Tip: A third floor room would suit you if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Steve S
Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

The Kyriad is located close to Colmar station. An unattractive location, however it is only a few minutes from the town centre and has the advantage of ample off street parking for 2 euro per day next to the hotel. It was very quiet despite being close to the railway track.

The hotel itself is rather shabby and there was a smell of drains in the lobby and the bathroom which was off putting to say the least. We paid 80 euro for the night and would expect better for this.

On the plus side the staff were friendly and helpful and free wifi is provided.

It was not for us and I could not recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jonh77
Reviewed 8 April 2013

It's a budget hotel, so my expectations weren't high. The hotel indicated that parking was available, but not really. We wound up parking on an adjacent street and had to feed a meter. The hotel is located within walking distance to train station, the old part of the city, and little Venice. It was cold, so I didn't need to open the window, but the train station is right across the street, so I suspect in the summer the noise from trains would be irritating. The hotel also advertised a restaurant, but it was only open for breakfast, which was nothing special. There is an adjacent bar, but you have to be "buzzed" in by the bartender, which made me question the safety of the area. I booked a single room. It had a full sized bed and adequate space. The bathroom seemed like an after-thought, but was clean. The toilet was placed very close to the wall, so we had to sit sideways on it! Staff was friendly. They answered questions, but offered no additional information. It seemed very quiet when I checked in, but late that night I discovered just how thin the walls were! After midnight there were a lot of people coming and going, running up & down the stairs, and it sounded like a party going on upstairs! I finally got out my earplugs and got to sleep. I'd stay there again only if it was just one night and only in cold weather!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Can't be too critical, because we were trying to be close to the old city, but not pay a lot for the room. However, because we were driving & in 2 cars, parking was an important criteria. Info indicated that there was hotel parking available, but that really isn't the case. Thankfully, there are plenty of pay spots nearby. Another of my search filters was to have a restaurant on the premises. During the week, yes, but it was closed Saturday night. As others have mentioned, the train and traffic noise can be a bit loud, if you have the windows open.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Pros:
Friendly reception staff
Reasonably well located on the edge of town
Good breakfast
Cheap parking right outside - 2 euros a day
Nice cosy room in the top floor

Cons:
Right next to a noisy train station
No air con and VERY hot and stuffy on a hot summers night - and opening the window lets in the train noise

Room Tip: Fine - but take a portable electric fan with you for the very hot nights
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Lovely hotel in quiet part of town but a short stroll across the park into the old town. Great staff, and nice comfortable rooms. Would stay here again, and for the price can't be beaten. Colmar is a lovely old city reminiscent of York in the UK-had a great stopover here

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends