“Follow these directions to get there!”

Cave historique des hospices civils de Strasbourg
Ranked #16 of 171 things to do in Strasbourg
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had to ask three people to get there and when I finally got there it was their "siesta time" and I had to come back after 1.30 p.m. So, I marked my way out:

First find the hospital, which is not hard to do by looking at a map. It looks like a church from outside, very pretty building. Then find the faculty of medicine (look at the photos I add here). It is also easy to find. Go through the arch and look for the 3rd entrance& go through it. Then look to your left, there is a sign "Sortie" or exit. Take it and you will immediately see the plaque on the wall indicating "La cave historique" to your left. Make sure you go down to the basement by taking the stairs there. I actually went upstairs to the human resources! (even before having wine!) When I asked the lady there how to find "la cave", we all had a very good laugh and she was very nice and led me there.

Well, I am not sure it is really worth the trip unless you get to taste the wine, which does not happen everyday. There is also no staff to ask any questions. So you have to just look at the labels and guess if it would be good.

Some people were buying by the boxes, but since I did not know anything about white wine, and also did not care for the red wine Alsace had to offer, I bought just one bottle of white out of obligation. Since it was a wine cellar, after all in a hospital, it made an interesting visit, but I did not feel the earth move under my feet.

An interesting tidbit is that several locals had no idea there was a wine cellar in the hospital! So, if you make a visit, you have something to write home about! Cheers!

4  Thank SunnyW358
There are newer reviews for Cave historique des hospices civils de Strasbourg

Reviewed 13 August 2013

This was an excellent visit and well worth it. Yes it's hard to find, but our local friend knew where it was, so that helped. It's mainly a winery for the locals. There's a bit of history, the world's oldest wine is located here in a barrel that has not fermented. It's free to visit and there's a wine shop as you exit.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Just a short walk from the city center, a bit of history with a nice little wine shop. I'm not sure why others found the cellar difficult to find. Simply walk around to the back of the hospital and there is a large sign.

1  Thank qaz2435
Reviewed 13 June 2013

This was a bit challenging to find, as it's not well signed. You'll need a map. Visiting and seeing the giant barrels is quite interesting. You can even smell the wine in the air evaporating through the wood. This made us very much in the mood to do some tasting, but the tastings only happen once a week, on Saturday mornings. That unfortunately was not in the cards for us. Try to schedule your visit then if you can!

4  Thank BinRoundDWorld
Reviewed 21 May 2013

After wandering around the hospital grounds several times, we finally managed to find the cellar door. It's free to visit. We enjoyed looking at the old wine barrels. There is no English translation but it's still an interesting sight to visit.

1  Thank McKinnon2