“Interesting stop”

Cave historique des hospices civils de Strasbourg
Ranked #22 of 161 things to do in Strasbourg
Watsonville, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Interesting stop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We happened to see this advertised in a magazine and enjoyed our short visit. It is a little difficult to find but the locals will help. I just wish we weren't flying the next day and only had a carry on. We would have loved to take a few bottles with us.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“French wine history at a glance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Wasn't really looking forward to anything much, but was pleasantly surprised.
It really is a wine cellar: deep, damp, dark and moldy. The cellar is impressive and you can find different barrels of wine: huge, small, old and very very old. There was one that dates back to 1472. Now THAT's really cool.
We took about a good twenty minutes looking around the barrels and cellar, and it was indeed an interesting stop. You get to smell the wood and wine from deep down, and it feels like you are in a old French movie.
They also sell the wine from the cellar and I believe a bunch of others from the region. Because it's not really promoted in tourist itineraries and such, it feels like a small delightful discovery.

1 Thank rhan123
Liverpool, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“A&E for wine lovers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Certainly worth seeking out if you're a wine lover or just like something different. A cellar within the Hospital grounds seems forward thinking to me, but these historic cellars offer an interesting off the beaten track diversion as you wander around the city. not the easiest place to find but with help from a local we found it quickly. We had the place to ourselves one morning at 09:30 and after viewing the impressive 19th century barrels in the underground cave, found ourselves buying several bottles of their riesling medicine.

1 Thank Theskellys
Albuquerque, New Mexico
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 893 helpful votes
“It would be better if wine can be tasted”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Interesting, but could have been better with a bit of wine tasting. It is only on Saturdays one gets this chance and on other days it is only a short visit. There aren't too many people around to ask any questions either.

In order to get there easier, take the faculty of medicine entrance and look for the 3rd door/entrance and then turn left where it has the "Sortie" sign. Then you see the plaque and the stairs to the basement.

2 Thank SunnyW358
Albuquerque, New Mexico
211 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 893 helpful votes
“Follow these directions to get there!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had to ask three people to get there and when I finally got there it was their "siesta time" and I had to come back after 1.30 p.m. So, I marked my way out:

First find the hospital, which is not hard to do by looking at a map. It looks like a church from outside, very pretty building. Then find the faculty of medicine (look at the photos I add here). It is also easy to find. Go through the arch and look for the 3rd entrance& go through it. Then look to your left, there is a sign "Sortie" or exit. Take it and you will immediately see the plaque on the wall indicating "La cave historique" to your left. Make sure you go down to the basement by taking the stairs there. I actually went upstairs to the human resources! (even before having wine!) When I asked the lady there how to find "la cave", we all had a very good laugh and she was very nice and led me there.

Well, I am not sure it is really worth the trip unless you get to taste the wine, which does not happen everyday. There is also no staff to ask any questions. So you have to just look at the labels and guess if it would be good.

Some people were buying by the boxes, but since I did not know anything about white wine, and also did not care for the red wine Alsace had to offer, I bought just one bottle of white out of obligation. Since it was a wine cellar, after all in a hospital, it made an interesting visit, but I did not feel the earth move under my feet.

An interesting tidbit is that several locals had no idea there was a wine cellar in the hospital! So, if you make a visit, you have something to write home about! Cheers!

4 Thank SunnyW358