“An enjoyable stay”

Ranked #37 of 128 Hotels in Strasbourg
Taunton, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

Spent 6 nights here in September 2012 and had a very pleasant time. There's been enough written about the ideal location (all true) so I'll skip on that. Our room was on the third floor, facing toward the town. It was well sized for two people. The en-suite appeared to be quite new and all areas were extremely clean. The hotel only offers a continental type breakfast at 12 euros a person. We had it two mornings when we were feeling a bit more peckish and were well happy with what we had but it's a bit pricey if all you want is a coffee and a croissant - and there are plenty of places to get them within 10 minutes walk. The hotel does offer room service from a small menu including hot, cold and alcoholic drinks and a few snacks.

All staff were extremely pleasant and couldn't have been more helpful in offering advice. They tolerated with very good humour our clumsy attempts at French, switching to fluent English when we started to struggle !

Only a couple of slight negatives - tea and coffee making facilities in the room would have been nice. The bed was a little uncomfortable for my wife who has back problems. The hotel is situated directly opposite a small school or college and and was a little noisy at the start and end of the school day - not a major problem but if, like me, you like a nap inbetween an afternoon of sightseeing and and evening of good food and wine, your chances of getting one are a little compromised !

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend L'Hotel du Dragon for a stay. We learned of the Strasbourg Christmas market during our visit and when we return, I would be happy to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kilmacolm, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

Stayed here on our way to the Alps on a motorbike trip.
The hotel is perfectly positioned within easy walk of the town centre, but away from the noise of traffic and tourists.The staff made real efforts to store our bikes off the road.
The whole hotel is clean, modern and comfortable.Free Wi-Fi and a good breakfast.
Above all the staff were all very helpful and friendly. As they were also fluent in German, they booked our next accommodation for us in Germany. A real help.
The staff also were great at recommending where to go, how long things would take etc.
I would definitely stay here again, a first class experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Thames Valley, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

The Hotel du Dragon is well located in Strasbourg for the historic centre and we found the staff helpful and friendly. The hotel itself has a pleasant, modern designer feel to the public spaces and rooms with some interesting modern art.

We had booked a room with a view of the patio garden. However the double room we were allocated was in the attic area - Room 44. This was small - approximately 10 feet by 9 feet - and accessed by a narrow, circular staircase in the room itself which proved difficult for two reasonably fit people to get luggage up. The bathroom had a bath - however this was so narrow in width that it was not posssible to lie down and the shower unusable as there was no curtain.

In fairness to the hotel they did offer us the chance to change rooms but as it was only one night - and we had already struggled to get our bags up the circular staircase - we decided not to bother. However I do think that the hotel might want to consider whether this room is entirely appropriate for the image they want to convey.

Room Tip: Avoid room 44 if you have heavy luggage.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

Perfectly pleasant hotel. Our room was very clean, spacious and comfortable (if a little unimaginatively decorated - think "smart Travelodge" and you get the picture). There was free wi-fi, which we appreciated.

Can't comment on breakfast as we didn't take it. Plenty of local cafes a short walk away.

Very little parking, so we used a nearby multi-storey, although of course this bumped up the cost of our stay a bit.

Possibly the only real negative - when we stayed it was quite warm and I would have really appreciated some air conditioning, which there wasn't. It wasn't a cheap place to stay and I would expect air-con for that price. Having open windows instead meant hearing quite a bit of noise from the street and nearby church bells (very lovely and medieval and all that, but will wake you up if you're not used to it).

The location is excellent however (and perhaps that's what you pay for) very close to all the sights and with loads of cafes and restaurants close by.

Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2012

Very conveniently located hotel near the river with large well appointed rooms. The rooms were clean and functional with fridge etc and fully serviceable bathrooms. The rooms could be accused of being a little sterile but it was perfectably acceptable. We didn't eat the breakfast, there are plently of lovely cafes in the town offering similar for less and you get a little slice of holiday street cafe feeling. However I did see the breakfast buffet and it looked very good. The main frustration was regarding the parking, there are only a handful of spaces for the hotel and these were taken so we parked at a long stay place down the road. This wasn't extortionate but it was an additional cost. Then when we walked out of the hotel in the evening we saw many cars parked up on the kerb bypassing the parking charges - we weren't informed that this was permissable.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

I was in Strasbourg on business and checking out hotels for future clients. I had just left a hotel that was charming but the service was almost non existent. I walked through the little courtyard in to the lobby and was greeted with a smile and hello right away from the front desk. I ask to see some rooms and a tour of the hotel. The general manager, Mr Zimmer, came out from the back and personally took me on a tour- I did see at least 7 rooms- all very clean, the top floor rooms are my favorite with the wood beams and hidden alcoves.They have a family room as well. The hotel has a nice breakfast area and a separate area for groups to dine with lovely local art displayed on the walls.
If you are looking for personal service, a great value in a good location (they have parking too)
I would recommend this property

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Stayed in this very pleasant hotel back in April 2010 but I am sure nothing much has changed since then. It is a little place in good location, a few minutes from the centre of the town. I was on business in Strasbourg for a few days and I had to take a taxi to reach the Council of Europe building which lies in the outskirts, but if I were a tourist I wouldn't want anything else location wise. The room was on the small and simple side, but not in a depressing way and perfectly adequate for my stay. Breakfast was served in a nice and bright room and was particularly to my liking. Most of all, I can't comment enough on the staff's attitude. It was during the time of the Iceland volcano explosion and I had trouble rearranging my itinerary. They were very helpful despite my rusty French. let me use their computer to change my tickets and tried to acommodate me any way they could. Many thanks, somewhat belated.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business