“Good and convenient”
Review of Maison Rouge Hotel

Maison Rouge Hotel
Ranked #16 of 129 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Very central location. This is good - easy walking, but may be some trouble with the car as the shopping area may be closed for cars. Actually, parking Kleber is VERY close, you may do it with even heavy luggage. For the exploration of the city it is best. You are at the middle of just everything. Room was clean. The exterior and interior have even something (but not lot) special, making it to stand out of the chain hotels. The staff was excellent - nothing from this typical Paris' hotels attitude of treating non- French speaking folk as second type citizen. Just little things prevent it from getting a Five: bad quality wifi, no tearmarking facilities in the room. The price,was,very good, so.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ilya1967
There are newer reviews for Maison Rouge Hotel

Reviewed 14 May 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent, in a very city central area of lovely Strasbourg. It is easy to access by tram from the train station - or if you are traveling light, it is only about a 10 minute walk from train station. If you are visiting Strasbourg for the wonderful Christmas markets, this hotel is ideal, in walking distance to everything. Free WiFi is provided and it is reliable.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank bcity_girl2003
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My client booked a room for me at the Maison Rouge hotel. Initially, I wanted to stay at the Sofitel but he told me that the Maison Rouge would suffice for just one night.

First impressions of the signage outside the hotel were a bit drab. It had the room prices posted adjacent to the sliding glass entry doors in huge bold print text which didn't make the hotel seem like a regular 4 star hotel.

I was greeted by a young man behind the check in desk who seemed so bored that he just passed me the key to my room. No registration, no "how was your trip", just a quick hello and here is your key.

The elevator of the hotel had a huge sign stating that the hotel was a 3 star establishment. Ok, interesting- the website says that it is a 4 star.

Most of the furniture in the hotel seems classic and perhaps a bit overdone however no major complaints. My room was well appointed in simple furnishings yet it was satisfactory. A flat screen tv, wifi Internet, a mini bar, and it also had an automated window blind-shutter.
The bathroom on the other hand was ugly with pink tiles but not cramped.

One thing I should warn every guest wishing to stay here in the future is that road noise is clearly apparent. I heard every tram pass, pedestrians on the streets, etc... And I was at least 4 floors up. I could also hear every word of a conversation my neighbor next door was having at 7 a.m.

By no means is this a bad hotel but if it could just improve on some aspects of the hotel it would be a lot better.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank Travel_Critic999
emmanuel_delepine, Manager at Maison Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2013

Dear SIr

Thanks for your comments.
All the 3th floor windows on the tram side are changed.
We're actualy changing the 4th and 5th floor windows
By the end of the year the 1st and 2nd floor will be changed as well

As you said it yourself it will be a lot better.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed one night on business. The hotel is easy to get to by tram from the train station and located near Place Kleber, only a few short minutes from the stunning Cathedral. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are decent, nothing spectacular. My "double bed" was really two single beds pushed together. Free wifi now a must for business travel but I had trouble with reception in my room. I simply moved close to the doorway or to the well-apportioned landing near the lifts. It was not a problem but had the stay been longer could have been troublesome. Breakfast was okay, again nothing spectacular. The buffet included a nice selection of yogurts, fruit and bread with a few hot items. Staff were slow to replace dwindling items (still wondering if they ever replaced the long depleted scrambled eggs). The plentiful bakeries nearby looked much more inciting, so much so I regretted eating at the hotel (don't get me wrong, it was fine).

I did not see a bill so cannot comment on price or value for money (although I suspect it was reasonable). It's a decent hotel and if you don't need luxury but need a place close to the city centre, it could be a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bryan M

Dear Sir

The wifi will be verified on 22th of may. May be we can arrange a better connection regarding some rooms.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

When we were trying to choose from a number of hotels we'd viewed online, we were tossing up whether to stay within the dead-centre of the city at "Maison Rouge", or select one on the edge of town near the TGV Station. Fortunately we chose this great hotel.
I booked online somewhat hesitantly the night before arriving, as I thought there must be a problem with the hotel as the room rate was lower than the further-out hotels, but it just turned out to be that they were offering a really attractive promotional rate as there were NO drawbacks with this hotel apart from the parking - more about that later.
Our room had a unique double-door arrangement to the bathroom/entry foyer, such that the bathroom door could fold back to create an "air-lock" style of arrangement with the entry door so there was no noise transmission through that area (not that there was ever any noise in the area outside the room anyway). There was a sliding double-glazed door opening to a petite balcony, plenty of space for our bags while still leaving ample space in the room, a pleasant bathroom and a small document safe. We even had free WiFi and a truly terrific buffet breakfast included in the economical room rate.
The hotel is ideally positioned near restaurants and within an easy five-minute walk to the magnificent Strasbourg Catherdal (wow, what a breathtakingly beautiful, must-see landmark) and even is next door to a great Galleries Lafayette store.
Maison Rouge's front-of-house staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful too.
The only downside was the difficulty in parking and challenging car access to drop off our bags. While my GPS unit did guide me right to the front door, this cobbled street really didn't appear to be one that you should drive upon, highlighted by people looking in amazement at our rental car as we drove to the very front door (although the lady at reception assured me it was fine). Unfortunately there were no basement parking spots available, so I had to retrace my way through restricted one-way streets to a public car park in Place Kleber. So my tip is don't even try to drive to the hotel, just go straight to the public car park and walk the very short distance to Maison Rouge.
We'd definitely book there again anytime we visited Strasbourg and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Zvirb
emmanuel_delepine, Manager at Maison Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Dear Sir

What else to say but, thanks a lot for your really friendly opinion and recommendation.

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Of the 8 hotels we stayed at on this trip this was one of the best. It was walkable from the station, although it took around 15 minutes, and conveniently located near Place Kleber, with interesting walks in every direction. The room was pleasant, the bed comfortable, and Wi-Fi and breakfast were included. Reception staff not overly friendly at first, but very helpful when asked for directions and information.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thanks for your comments.
We've been “One of our favorites on your trip” so we're satisfied even if we probably can be better next time regarding your front desk opinion.

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed at the Maison Rouge for two nights, April 6th and 7th, 2013, before heading back Paris on our extened three week stay in France. Actually, we had planned to stay at another hotel in Strasbourg for four nights, but after two nights with considerable noise from an adjacent disco, we decided to move to the Maison Rouge. What a great decision. Thx to Benoit, Natalie, and Thibault for fitting us in for two rooms on short notice. The rooms were extra large by European standards, very clean and comfortable with double windows so no noise was present even though we were adjacent to the electric trams which ran outside the hotel. The bed is a little low to the ground by US standards, but not an issue. There is a lobby bar and the complimentary breakfasts were great and plentiful. Parking is even provided out back at a modest charge and the hotel is central to all local transportation servies and sights in Strasbourg. Of interest to us was that at the end of each hallway there was a sitting area and there is also a sitting area in front of each elevator on each floor to accomodate guests wishing to chat before retiring to their rooms. What a great use of extra space. But an even more unique feature is that on each elevator door there is a painting...like a mural, never seem before by any of our group. How clever. The staff was very helpul and interested in making our stay as comfortable as possible. Thank you , Benoit! Many, many good restaurants in the area within a short walk. If you don't care for the hotel breakfast, check out the Bagel shop just across the street. You can't go wrong at this hotel...we are so glad we moved to it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carboguy
emmanuel_delepine, Manager at Maison Rouge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

Dear Guest,

It's always a real pleasure for us to read such comment's.

I'll inform the front desk they've done all what you were waiting for them.

Thanks a lot one more time. We hope to see you again in Strasbourg