“A Christmas Market visit”
Review of Le Grand Hotel

Le Grand Hotel
Ranked #55 of 127 Hotels in Strasbourg
France
“A Christmas Market visit”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

A very central hotel which is just over the square from the main railway station & very well located for an easy wander into the city centre. Parking was in a secure public carpark & few minutes walk from the hotel. A very comfortable room which provided all that we required. The hotel staff were helpful & efficient.

Room Tip: Fitness centre button was inadvertently pushed! I am unaware of whether there is one or not ...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived in Strasbourg by train at the end of long but splendid day in Colmar and Selestat. This hotel is directly across the square from the gorgeous railroad station and caters to the traveler on business. I had one of the best rooms with a double bathroom and little living room on the fifth floor. The staff was all young and helpful especially when disaster struck. On the afternoon of my second day I slipped on a much too wet floor in the second oldest wine cellars in the world, ironically attached to one of the city's two public hospitals. At first it seemed as if it was only a bad sprain and once back at the hotel a young receptionist brought ice packs to my room. The next morning another staff member accompanied me to a doctor. I will always remember their kindness and concern.

• Stayed September 2013
An Cheathru Rua
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Centrally located across from La Gare Centrale, the hotel is perfect for business travellers. Free wi-fi, though the process of getting a password is laborious.

Good continental breakfast but the lack of an in-house restaurant is a major drawback. I failed to find the recommended restaurant in the maze of roadworks.

Tiny reception run bar in lobby had no chilled white wine! En France.

Perfectly comfortable but I often like to eat/ have a drink in my room when travelling alone on business. Room great, fabulous shower and my requet for a bed near lifts was accepted.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed here in January 2011 and will not be staying here again. I spent the weekend in Strasbourg and thought this hotel would be ideal as it looked really good and was ideally located across the road from the train station. Upon entering the hotel I was very impressed with the interior and the cleanliness.

I was also initially pleased with my room, but the longer I spent in there, the colder I got. I used some of the towels out of the bathroom and rolled them up to stop the draft coming from the window. This was however to no avail, it wasn't until the day I was checking out that I discovered a rather nice hole in the wooden frame of the window.

Had I discovered the hole earlier I would have asked to move rooms, but what baffles me is how, if they have been cleaning the rooms properly had they not noticed this?!? And if they had, why did they allow someone to stay in that room in the freezing cold in the middle of January? Particularly as the window was right at the side of the bed, meaning you had to sleep in the draft all night!! Needless to say at 115€ a night I felt well and truly, utterly ripped off and I won't be staying here again and nor would I recommend it to anyone! Gets 2 out of five because of its location, had the hotel been situated elsewhere it would have got a 1!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have hole in the window frame!
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank deffers90
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Very conveniently located, especially if arriving by train as it is directly opposite the station. City centre is no more than a 10 minute walk. My room was spacious, comfortable and clean. Nice breakfast. I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank jeremy p
Most, Czech Republic
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Good location close to the train station but we came by a car. Their car parking system was OK but a little bit far from the hotel. Young ladies at the reception were not much helpful and communicative. Our double-room was dirty and poor. Breakfast in the morning was the bright spot of our one night stay. I would never come again to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The location is great if you are travelling to Strasbourg by train. We had a car and their parking service was good. We were in a family room and our booking had stated that we had 2 adults and 2 children. However we were only provided with 1 queen bed and a day bed. We had assumed that we would have a roll away bed aswell however figured that our 9 year old daughter was meant to sleep with us. I guess we could have complained but didn't bother as we only had two nights there. Our minibar was locked which was fine with the kids, but would have been good to have been able to put our drinks in to keep them cold in the heat. Breakfast was quite nice. All in all, for a short stay it was ok.

Room Tip: They are currently doing renovations so ask for a room that has been renovated not one that hasn'...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family