“What a find”
Review of Hotel Rohan

Hotel Rohan
Ranked #33 of 130 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Nestling in the narrow streets in the centre of Strasbourg metres away from the Cathederal is this excellently appointed Hotel , tastfully decorated and very welcoming. Restaurant was very good and very handy for exploring this ancient city. Being in a pedestrian area meant very little noise and a good nights sleep. One to keep in the book for another visit.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a beautiful little boutique hotel steps from the cathedral. The interior is modern and artsy, the personnel friendly and helpful and the location couldnt be better. Having traveled in France a lot, I put this hotel as one of the very best experiences I have had in the country! Would definitaly go back when visiting Strasbourg again!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Hotel Rohan at Strasbourg is a very nice hotel. Confortable and close to the Strasbourg Cathedral. Hotel people is nice and interested in making you happy and informed about the city.
The rate is good and the breakfast too.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the Cathedral
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zeduardo2013
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I was disappointed with this hotel, which I do not think is 4-star level as far as the service is concerned.

I live in nearby Luxembourg and decided at the last minute (well, a few days in advance) to go to Strasbourg for the weekend (with just one overnight stay at a hotel). But I am glad I did not spend more than one night at this hotel, for the following reasons:

1) We were told that there were no parking spaces left in the hotel’s private garage, so we had to park at some distance, in a normal multi-storey car park, for which we had to queue, as it was full. Fortunately we only had small cases, but if we had to stay longer, this would have been a problem. We arrived at 11 a.m., to make the most of our weekend, but were told that the room would not be ready until 2 p.m. (as per contract). Fine, no problem. We therefore left our luggage in a special luggage room in the reception. The receptionist put labels on all our bags (three of them), bearing the room number. So far so good. We then went for a walk around Strasbourg’s beautiful city centre and had our lunch. Three and a half hours later (at around 14.40) we returned to the hotel to check in to our room, only to find that our luggage had disappeared from the place we had left it! The luggage room was empty! At that moment, panic struck, as it was a really busy Saturday afternoon, with people coming and going and lots of tourists and beggars on the street outside and anyone could have come in off the street to steal our bags (there was only one receptionist, who was always busy with customers, so it wouldn't have been impossible to do). To make matters worse, the receptionist, too, did not seem to know where our luggage was. So, naturally, I became very anxious, thinking that our bags had been stolen. After a few minutes of high anxiety, we were finally told (with NO apologies) that they had located our bags, which had now been taken to our room.

So we went upstairs to our third-floor room, only to find that one of our trolley suitcases was missing! Because the lift was very small and slow, we raced back down the stairs to reception to inform the receptionist. She again looked a little uncertain as to what had happened, while we started to panic again. Without saying anything to put us at our ease, she seemed to be pressing a few buttons, or making a call, and after a few minutes again told us our missing bag had been found and was being taken to our room. We went back upstairs, only to find it was the wrong bag!! Another race down to reception, this time in a very bad mood to say the least. I was very upset with the receptionist’s attitude (whose name I know, but won’t mention here), as she appeared to be rather cold and indifferent to our plight, and to our natural concern at not being able to find our property. Maybe this kind of disorganisation is an everyday occurrence for her?

Anyway, after a total of 20 minutes or so of waiting for our case to be located, it was finally found. Where? Who knows - nobody bothered to tell us. The receptionist never once apologised, which is quite simply unprofessional. Even it is was not her fault directly, she should have apologised on behalf of the hotel, which had got it wrong! What is the point of putting tickets with numbers on suitcases if the staff can’t even read them properly and put them in the wrong rooms? This caused us a lot of unnecessary stress at the start of our short weekend break.

2) When we eventually got to our room, we were hot and tired, and just wanted to lie down and relax for a while, before venturing out again. It was a warm weekend, so we tried to switch on the air conditioning. However, it didn’t seem to be working properly, and I noticed that it seemed to be on 'Chaud' (hot air). We fiddled about with the A/C programming panel on the wall (there was no remote control) for a while, but could not programme the temperature we wanted (cool). So we called reception (again) and asked them to send somebody. A different receptionist came upstairs (a very polite and friendly girl). She tried her best, but in the end only managed to switch the fan on, not the cool air that I wanted. But we only discovered that after I had been lying on the bed for half an hour, still feeling hot, and waiting in vain for the room to get cooler. So, while I managed to relax a little at last, I couldn’t cool down! (In the end, we managed to get the A/C to work properly ourselves, before the evening - thank God!). But what a struggle!

3) I had booked, through Booking.com, a so-called ‘Prestige’ room, which was supposed to be bigger than the standard rooms, but I still found it very small. The bathroom (or rather, shower room), while white, modern and beautiful to look at, was tiny and felt like being in an aircraft toilet when you were standing by the washbasin. There was also nowhere to put your stuff.
However, the positive points were that the room and bathroom were modern, well-decorated, the lights were all working and the beds were very comfortable (though the curtains were unhooked in one corner, letting in the early morning light).
Another advantage of the ‘Prestige’ room was supposed to be a kettle with tea and coffee. But even that was disappointing, as there was no milk (not even the UHT packet stuff) to go with the tea or coffee (I like to drink both tea and coffee with milk). After asking reception a couple of times, we did manage to get a little jug of fresh milk, only to discover that the little fridge in our room was either broken or not switched on. After already having called reception several times for the various luggage and A/C problems we were not willing to have to call them again just to switch on the fridge - we just wanted to relax! A room should be in perfect working order when a customer arrives. Plus, in a 4-star room which is supposed to offer tea and coffee, milk should always be provided and a little accompanying chocolate or individually-packaged biscuit would be a plus and would keep customers happy.

4) The large flat-screen wall-mounted TV was lovely, but I could not believe that the hotel had Russian, Chinese and US TV channels, but no UK or Italian ones! We are in the heart of the EU, after all! Very disappointing, as I like to watch Sky News and the BBC and my husband likes to watch Italian TV. No British newspapers available at breakfast time either. I can read French, but quand même....

5) Breakfast was quite nice, with plenty of choice of fresh breads, cheeses, salmon, ham, different kinds of local jams, etc., but, while I appreciated the local speciality Kougelhopf, there were no croissants/pains au chocolat - we are in France, after all! If you can't get a nice 'croissant au beurre' in France, then where can you get one?
Otherwise, no problems with breakfast. The girl on duty that day was efficient and friendly and the coffee was good.

To conclude: I managed to get a good, last-minute price with Booking.com. If I had not, I would not consider this hotel value for money. The rooms, while updated and attractive, are too small (I found mine a little claustrophobic) and the luggage fiasco should simply not happen in a 4-star hotel. Staff should be taught to apologise if mistakes are made and if a customer is clearly unhappy. You simply do not need all that stress (faraway car parks, lost luggage, A/C problems and no milk with your coffee) when you arrive for what is supposed to be a relaxing and pleasant holiday - especially if it's just for a short weekend trip!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2014

If you are looking for a very nice hotel within step of the cathedral and the main action in Strasbourg, then this is the place for you! This is a nice hotel with a super staff. You literally walk out the front of the hotel, turn left and walk 50 steps and you are are looking at the beautiful Notre Dame cathedral. Spectacular! Not to worry about the noise that it might make in your room. There are 2 sets of windows which can (if you like) keep the noise from waking you during the night. Our room was a typical room that you find in most hotels in Europe. Not spectacular but clean and nice. Breakfasts were buffy style and had anything that you might want. This is a very good value given the location. I would certainly recommend it to anyone who is planning a stay in Strasbourg.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor looking out to the back of the bulding. There was really not noise to...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Fabulous location, steps from the cathedral. My room (a single room) was small but really cleverly designed. Funky and functional. Bed was extremely comfortable and linens were excellent. I had a gorgeous courtyard view, and I could hear the carillon from the cathedral from my room (and it was gorgeous).

Breakfast was included and was very good.

I would certainly stay here again if I'm in Strasbourg again, and I hope I will be. Gorgeous city, wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Brilliant location, rooms And value.
The best asset though is the staff, who are amongst the most helpful, polite and kind that we have encountered on our travels.
Nothing was too much trouble.
Hearing the bells from the cathedral is very special and lots of options to dine around the square.

• Stayed: April 2014