“Stay Here”
Review of Hotel Cap Europe

Hotel Cap Europe
Ranked #125 of 130 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This hotel was recommended by a stranger, and now I can't thank him enough for sending me there. Aurelie and Stephanie from the reception were just incredibly helpful , friendly and accommodating.
I had the chance to stay in two different rooms. The first one had 3 beds, and great windows. I could live there forever. The second room was larger, with balcony and a kitchenette. Both rooms were extremely clean and quiet.
The hotel has good parking, luggage storage, breakfast, and it is not far from main city centre, and bus stops.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 October 2009

We stayed 4 nights, booked with Eurostar, in a 3 bed, 4 person suite on the 5th floor. It had an entrance hall with coat cupboard - the only place to store clothes - leading into a good size bedsit with 2 single beds, table and 4 chairs, TV, 2 ring stove with pans (no kettle), fridge, bowls and cutlery. There was a small double bedroom with bedside lights, but no curtains, only shutter blinds on the outside. The bathroom was sizeable and immaculate; no toiletries except soap, and the towels were scratchy. Everything worked fine. Breakfast was available for 8 euros, but we had ours at the Cafe de la Paix two blocks away near the synagogue where the trams stop. It seemed a nice, quiet residential area, walking distance to the centre. We paid 10 euros extra per night for our son to join us. He has stayed in other hotels there and said it compared well.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frances R
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We stayed at this hotel/apartment for nearly a week. We stayed in the largest apartment they have which consists of 2 beds in the main room, one cell like room with a full bed, a bathroom, a hot plate, a few dishes and a table with 4 chairs. The apartment would be great for 1-3 people for a week stay, but any longer the lack of space would be a huge issue. There is one small closet large enough for 3-4 winter coats and a few things stacked on the shelves. There are no drawers for other items. The hotel/apartment is very clean, but the only provide a few towels and no soap or dish towels for the kitchen area. Also since they have hard floors every noise bounces off the floor and walls and makes it very noisy. Also the hotel does offer internet for a charge. Because our room was on the top floor along the road we were too far from it and never received a signal in our room. The hotel is less than a 5 minute walk to the tram station and a very nice park. There are a few restaurants in the area, but not a huge selection. There are also a few corner markets within a block or two of the hotel/apartment. I'm not sure that I would stay here again if we return to the city. While it is clean, the distance from the city center is a bit too much.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2009

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I booked two nights for my boyfriend and I at Cap Europe. At 75 euros a night mid-week, I expected better. Our room was small and smelled like stale cigarettes. There were no dishes or anything in the little kitchenette. The bathroom is smaller than the ones you get in a budget room on an aging cruise ship but similar in layout and style. Our shower drain clogged and overflowed. The cleaning service is agressive - yelling at us in French to get out of the room so they could clean after knocking several different times starting at 8:30 in the morning. At one point they were barging into the room while I was in the shower. Check in and out was easy and prompt. Talking to the locals in the Starsbourg, they seem surprised by how expensive our hotel was saying there were plenty of good places more in the 50 euro range. I don't know where or what they are, but I would highly recommend looking for them and skipping a stay at Cap Europe. My dingy freshman dorm was much nicer than this.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2008

A grim little apartment, with 6 single beds and only 4 coffee cups and half were cracked. Kitchen had no dishwash liquid or teatowels even though linen was supplied.
As one person got into bed the leg fell off and they fell to the floor. Extremely poor internet access in rooms. Bathroom was tiny similar to an airline bathroom with no ventilation. Shower curtain fitted poorly and water streamed over floor. Unable to wash feet in shower without accidently turning off shower. Avoid if possible.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank littlelamb_7
Reviewed 19 June 2008

This is a "residence" rather than a hotel. I stayed there as a last minute decision, on the way to somewhere else. Even so, I had rather hoped for slightly better facilities.

The room was clean and adequate but very spartan. The toilet and shower were in a self contained capsule - a little like in an aircraft. There were basic cooking facilities and the "crockery " was locked in a cupboard, to which I was given the key. I had to laugh when I saw what was there - two of everything, admittedly - but odd, mismatched cast-offs that was taking cost-cutting to the extreme.

There was internet, as advertised, but at 4,5 euros per hour, quite outrageous. I didn't try the breakfast at 8 Euros, but relied on patisseries.

There are no real problems with this place - and the price was reasonable. I think if I had been able to plan ahead, I would have been able to get better value elsewhere. Don't expect comfort or daily room service beyond a change of towels.

Strasbourg is a great place for a few days visit. I enjoyed my stay in the city immensely and the accommodation served its purpose. It is a pleasant walk away from the centre of town, and close to a bus that goes straight to the station.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank ParisPossum
Reviewed 13 May 2008

This is a little gem. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the city center. I felt very safe walking to/from the hostel. The rooms were HUGE, the bathroom was very nice, and the entire place was very clean. I was worried at first that they don't change the sheets/duvet cover between guests, but after seeing the cleaning staff every day, I realized it was like every other hotel. The breakfast offered was a bit weak, but overall a great and inexpensive place to stay. There were a few school groups there, but it didn't bother my friends and I. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends