“Horrible experience!”
Review of Le Tire-bouchon

Le Tire-bouchon
Reserve with
Save up to 50% when you reserve online *
Le Tire-bouchon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 1,436 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Cuisines: French, Delicatessen
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Mairie Sud
Description: A deux pas de la cathedrale de Strasbourg, et de son marche de Noel, le restaurant le Tire-Bouchon maitre restaurateur depuis 2011 est une winstub ou l'on retrouve l'authenticite d'autrefois. Dans un cadre chaleureux et soigne , qui fait la part belle aux poutres apparentes, aux tables delicieusement nappees et aux lumieres tamisees, venez vous rechauffer autour de succulentes specialites alsaciennes accompagnees de nos vins soigneusement selectionnes. Pensez a reserver l'un de nos salons privatifs pour vos evenements familiaux jusqu'a 30 personnes. Cuisine Chaude tous les soirs jusqu'a MINUIT !!
“Horrible experience!”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

From the moment we walked in I should have known to have walked out. Despite the fact that they had a booking for us, they knew nothing about us. We were shown to a table and handed a menu in French. My French is not what it used to be :). We were then offered a menu in English. My starter arrived and was not what I had ordered. My friend ordered snails which were the worst they had ever tasted and the bread (which we had to ask for) was stale! I ordered the beef stew with seasonal vegetables for my main course. Unfortunately, this turned out to be beef with salad! It seemed that all the French patrons around us were attended to perfectly well, but the English patrons, us, were just about tolerated! To be avoided!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank DarrenE2

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai
“Typical Alsacian food in a lovely atmosphere”
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Great local food in large portions, so make sure you're hungry! We shared a delicious salad starter of Gruyere cheese with local sausage, followed by Pave au Salmon and Baeckeoffe (3 meat stew), unfortunately we had no room for desert. The restaurant is much larger than appears from the outside, although the tables are well packed in, which makes for good table to table chats! It is within a pedestrian area and as it's a busy restaurant, booking is necessary.

Visited February 2014
Gif-sur-Yvette, France
“Enjoy a nice diner in a good atmosphere”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We had a vey good lunch starting with a warm welcome
Food are excellent and people charming
You will enjoy a typical place but you have to make reservation to make sure to get a place
Elisa & Jean-Jacques

• Visited December 2013
Glasgow
“Worth seeking out but be ready to fight your corner”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

From the outside it looks quite small but it's a warren with tables all over the place so don't think 'oh, it's full' when you peer in the windows.

Great food but they don't suffer non-French (or non-German) speakers - they are just too busy to waste time with you! We got the impression that they have a strong enough local following to not be overly upset if a tourist didn't enjoy it.That probably explains some of the comments here. Ask for the 'English' menu if you want a laugh as some of the translations are hilarious. Better to prepare yourself to fight your corner in French and you can have a great meal at a decent price.

An example of the brusqueness: after asking for a jug of water we were supplied with a small one which disappeared quickly. We chased a couple of times for more and the second time the waitress brought us a huge jug, as in, 'right, now let me get on with my work'. I also enjoyed the look of surprise on her face when I sought her out as we left to give her a tip!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mearnsman
Montreal, Canada
“Good food, as for the service...”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Definitly the best saurkraut we had out of our travel through Germany, Switzerland, and France. I love saurkraut and tried 5 different ones during that trip; this one was way above all the others. Nonetheless, I never like hearing the staff complain about other tables showing up with more people than expected or not ordering "something that made sence". I guess its one of the down sides of speaking the native language. I always expect Parisian waiters to have an attitude but I had never expected that to happen in Strasbourg. So good job chef, try to find new people to represent you in the dining room.

• Visited October 2013