“Surprisingly modern”
Review of Cote Basque Hotel

Cote Basque Hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Bayonne
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I was merely supposed to pass through Bayonne, transferring from the TGV to a local train to St.-Jean. However, I was stuck because of travel delays. I chose Hotel Cote Basque because of its proximity to the train station. The night desk agent found me a room and was very kind.

The room surprised me. I expected it to be old and shabby, but there has clearly been a recent renovation. The furnishings, though, are of average quality, as if someone bought everything from an Ikea or Target. I was more than pleased with the modern bathroom, though.

The one real negative was the location of the room overlooking the street. There were plenty of people gathered on a nearby square until late and the noise transmitted up. The next morning traffic, and especially buses, which stopped across the street, were intrusive. It was a good thing I was up early anyway.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Cote Basque Hotel

Reviewed 11 August 2012

4 of us stayed here in June and for a 4 person room, it was 85Euros (around $110 dollars), which is not bad in France I guess, but I expected the room to be better. When we walked in, it was really small. There was a small room with 2 twin beds, and a door to a connecting room with 1 double bed and a small bathroom in the 2nd room. It was clean and looked overall okay. We went out and walked around Bayonne, and by the time we returned, there was a sewage-ish smell throughout the room. So we closed the windows thinking it came outside, and it did help a little, but not completely, the smell lingered. All night, you could hear cars and honking- it was really loud. This place reminded me of a hotel called Nan-King we used to stay at all the time in Honduras...except the Nan was $20 bucks a night. This was my first and only night in France, so maybe this is just how France is, who knows, but I was not impressed. The one good thing, though, is that it is right across the street from the train station, which is very convenient. And had a kinda cool old-fashioned looking elevator.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This hotel is adjacent to the station at is very handy for train travellers. It is only a ten minute walk to the main city centre and next to a main bus stop stop. It is a old hotel with an tiny lift and uncarpeted stairs, however the rooms are comfortable and clean, although without air conditioning. Breakfast is fine, with plenty of coffee available. It is next to a main road junction and some noisy bars, so don't expect to get to sleep early. in the end you get what you pay for, which is a reasonably priced handy hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mzee-Iron-Bird
Reviewed 27 September 2011

This hotel is very close to the railway station and at the end of the bus line from Biarritz airport.
I stayed one night on the way to St Jean pied de Port. Unfortunately the hotel was having a problem with hot water but the very pleasant receptionist gave me a €10 discount on account of this.
The room was basic but it had everything needed.
Breakfast at €7 was quite good.

Room Tip: If you don't like noise ask for a room at the back. However, the road noise quietens down at nig...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank JimDublin_Ireland
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We found ourselves in Bayonne and stopped at the first hotel we ran into after leaving the train station. It's an old hotel that has recently been renovated. The rooms were small, clean, comfortable with new furnishings. No a/c, but the nights were cool and we were comfortable. It was a good value for what we paid, the staff was polite and we liked it enough to book a second night. Oh, and free wifi.

Bayonne was a pleasant surprise. It was small and attractive with many good restaurants and bars. The main part of town is across the river from this hotel (it's not a long walk). Closer to the hotel, we had a nice 3 course meal at Bistro St. Gluque (about 2 blocks away, near the Spanish style church).
If I'm in Basque country again, I'm visiting Bayonne. If I need a clean, reasonably priced room I'll stay here.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bortdozer
Reviewed 2 August 2011

There was no other choice as we were staying around 14th July so we had to grin and bear it but we didn't feel like grinning. Small twin room looking onto side alley, no air con so we had to have the window open as it was hot. The first night there was live music just outside until 2am, followed by the continual talking, shouting and swearing of the 'street people' which went on every night until 6 or 7am. Parking is available on street but you have to park quite a distance from hotel unless you are very lucky. It is also 50cts per hour. Hotel was clean, staff were friendly.
Nearby restaurants were reasonable but the ones over the river were much better. Bayonne was a lovely city and we would return to it but we felt we had been released from a prison cell and would not return to hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Lots of street noise, especially from the bin men, which can obviously be a nuisance if you need the windows open. Room was fairly comfortable but quite small for a twin. A big plus is that it's just over the road from the station and this is probably the major reason you would choose to stay there.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends