“Average”

La Brasserie Bordelaise
Reserve with
La Brasserie Bordelaise is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #198 of 2,446 Restaurants in Bordeaux
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
“Average”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had to wait a while to get a table and when we did the service was slow. I ordered the steak and fries and my steak was undercooked and fatty. My boyfriend enjoyed his meal and the atmosphere was nice. I would be willing to give it another try...

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Poor!!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I (French) came with my boyfriend's family (English, wine and food lovers) to la Brasserie Bordelaise on the advice of a local friend. We were very disappointed by our experience and would not recommend a visit.
First, the service was bad. We made an online booking but we waited for 45 minutes in the middle of the busy restaurant having to move constantly out of the way of staff and customers. Once seated, it took a long time to get the menu as the waitress kept on being interrupted. My boyfriend's father ordered a steak blue as he likes it like this. The waitress answered very inappropriatly that he should reconsider his choice because foreigners usually dislike the meat very rare (blue). We ordered a bottle of wine (a Margot 2010 at EUR45) and asked for advice between 2 similar bottles and the waitress' answer was just that there were 350 different wines served here and that she did not know. She did not try to ask anyone.
The starters were fine but simple: we got tomato salad (9EUR!) and foie gras (in bloc - very good). The mains arrived and the steak was not blue! So we had to send it back to the kitchen. I had the lamb shoulder which was tasteless and greasy, my boyfriend's mother had boeuf bourguignon which was dry and not seasoned and my boyfriend had the duck with was okay but a bit chewy. To apologise for the confusion and delays we were given some fresh foie gras toasts - a nice gesture but a bit late after we had ordered a whole pot of foie gras! The steak was good once correctly cooked:
We finally ordered dessert and after some time, the waitress came back saying she was sorry but the restaurant had ran out of the sorbet we ordered. This is the moment we gave up and decided to skip dessert.
The restaurant is well decorated and the simplest dishes were served well. More complicated dishes were bad or tasteless and the service was really lacking (inappropriate advice, absence of knowledge and little willingness to help).

3 Thank LM_LDN888
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Forgotten the basics...”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The food here is good but the service is very poor. It is not cheap and therefore the overall experience provides poor value for money. Issues:
Huge gaps between courses
Food just slapped down
Having to ask several times for water
Having to ask several times for the bill

As a stereotypical Brit even an apology for the poor service would have gone a long way but I think I might have been waiting as long for that as we did the bill...

It is all a bit over extended; the menu is some bizarre mix between simple menu and some kind of holiday brochure. It has lost it's way and I would not recommend.

Any meal for two where you end up debating whether it is the waiter's face or the overall service that is engendering thoughts of violence cannot be a success...

If you do go the beef is very good, the carpaccio of duck is tasteless/stringy and the chocolate mousse is very nice - I think though the lack of polite and prompt service may affect your tastebuds as it did ours... Overall summary; upmarket over-priced Cafe Rouge that is a little too pleased with itself and brought out the UKIPs in Sam C and myself.

1 Thank David C
“A lot of rushing about”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We picked the restaurant from a top 10 list. Initial impressions of hustle and bustle and lively ambiance were soon overtaken by seeing waiters rushing around even bumping in to and arguing with each other. Over worked waiter then forgot our food which was cold so had to be sent back.

Visited August 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Good Food, Shame About the Service”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I felt like I was trying to catch the waiter's eye the whole time, which does not make for an enjoyable experience. It was half an hour before we had any wine in front of us, then another 15 minutes before they took our food order. The food, when it came, was excellent. Ordered two extra glasses of red wine when it arrived. Nothing happened. Tried again. Finally caught the eye of the same waitress who said speak to my colleague. Spoke to colleague, who described some lovely wines then did not bring them. Caught his eye again and he disappeared again, finally reappearing with the wine, but we had finished our food. Told him to bring the bill as I was not prepared to put up with such appalling service. Ridiculous.

I have a suspicion that this has more to do with whoever is managing the restaurant expecting the staff to do too much as they were running all over the place. A real pity as it could be a genuine stand out.

My recommendation is to avoid this place if there is any chance it is going to be busy.

1 Thank ns247