“Frederic Borliachon's Magical Tour of the Chateaus of Bordeaux”

Rendez-vous au Chateau
Ranked #8 of 77 Food & Drink in Bordeaux
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy your time in Bordeaux with an ex winemaker (20 years of winemaking) who will introduce you to some nice chateaux, good winemakers, sites,,.. off the beaten tracks. Please ask him to see the different faces of Bordeaux area combining pleasant moments and "real" meetings, famous chateaux visits and friendly moments with the winemakers..He will try to meet your expectations !
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Frederic's love of the Bordeaux growing areas and Chateaus, its heritage, and his personal experience as a vintner with associated friendships with the owners made this tour magical. Even in the cold, wet weather of February, he made each stop a special event and his lovely van was spacious, spotless and comfortable. The Chateau d'Issan, in the Margaux region was awarded Grand Cru Classes in 1855 and remains a grand dam of wineries. Clarisse was amazing with her explanation of the wine making process and Frederic assisted with excellent explanations from his personal experiences. The Chateau Cadet Bon in St. Emlion was also Grand Cru Class and Antoine provided a great experience.

Frederic chose St. Emilion for our lunch stop. The city is prehistoric in its history and is a World Heritage site. Our lunch was typical local fair, our choice, at Chai Pascal, and one of the best of our trip. Frederic shared a wealth of knowledge about wines, grapes, regions,Grand Cru Classes and the AOC Wine Regulation System over lunch. He topped off our trip with a tour of St. Emilion. We only regret that we did not have more time to spend with him. Thank you, Frederic, for our lovely day with you.

1  Thank Mary G
"great guide"
in 6 reviews
"cruise ship"

Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

Frederic was an excellent tour guide. Great communication! Frederic arrived with a car seat and nice van and showed us around St Emilion. He took us to some very special wineries that were not touristy. Very authentic and Frederic had excellent knowledge of the area and is well connected. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife and I toured the wine growing areas of Pessac-Leognan, Graves, and Sauternes one lovely day in mid October. We visited a winery at each appellation and had a wonderful lunch. Our guide, Frederic, couldn't have been better. A former vintner, he knew his beans (or grapes!), to be sure, as well as the owners of the wineries we visited.He was punctual in meeting us at the hotel, full of Gallic grace and humor, and a most affable luncheon companion. In addition, the new van he drove us around in was spotless and comfortable.

I would recommend his services to anyone who wishes to experience more than a generic tour of Bordeaux's wine country. It's a costly service to be sure, but to each, his own!

2  Thank peterportez
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a five week trip traveling through Western Europe. Without a doubt one of the highlights was our two days spent touring Bordeaux with Frederic. I doubt you will be able to find anyone more knowledgeable about wine than him. He was truly amazing, walking us through the vineyards, explaining everything from how to properly roll a full barrel of wine to explaining the differences between merlot and cabernet grapes.

Our first day was spent touring the Medoc region, visiting three different beautiful wineries with a wonderful lunch mixed in at a tiny French village. The second day, a truly spectacular experience was spent touring smaller family owned wineries in Saint Emilion followed by a walk through the old town itself. If you only have one day in Bordeaux I would recommend this. We were able to tour the centuries old cellars of these family owned estates as well as personal barrel tastings, something I never thought I would experience.

Frederic made everything so easy and accommodating for us, next time I am back in Bordeaux he will be the first person I call!

1  Thank Ryan W