“Good wines, excelent cheese”
Review of Le Wine Bar

Le Wine Bar
Ranked #36 of 2,532 Restaurants in Bordeaux
Price range: US$13 - US$52
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Situated in the heart of the historical district of « Saint Pierre », the WINE BAR is a unique place in Bordeaux.In a warm bistro atmosphere, this authentic wine bar is an essential port of call for wine lovers, with its original selection of wines from all over the wold – a remarkable range of origins from the prestigious to the more modest, presented by Giancarlo. To enhance the selection of tastes and aromas, Emmanuel proposes a choice of italian cheeses and delicatessen, and regional products as foie gras, grattons de Bordeaux, Magret de canard
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Very frendly staff.
One of the best wine bars in Bordeaux.
Great wine list.
Excelent cheese and good stuffed food.
Reservation needed, Always full.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Went here with friends back in 2013. Only getting around to writing review - very memorable. Great wine. The owner is lovely, very friendly as well as helpful. Will definitely be coming back.

Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

...by the ratings some places have.
The nice part is that I called to make a reservation and left my phone number and got a call back within 30 minutes. Thank you!
We arrived on time for a late dinner. I mentioned that I had a reservation and gave my name. I was welcomed and told we could either sit on the bar or on one of the two free tables. Wait, table? No, actually wine barrels - the tables were taken. So accepting my reservation and not honoring my request - and not even acknowledging it, is the 1st reason not getting 5 stars.
Anyway, we sat down , and let me tell you, in case you haven't tried, it is quiet uncomfortable to sit on a barrel; avoid it if you can.
We promptly got the menu and wine list, the later had a nice selection , but mostly bottles. We typically drink a bottle dining out, but the reason I come to a wine bar is to try different wines, by the glass, and then possibly settling for a bottle if we like a particular one. Choice of reds by the glass was surprisingly limited , and the quality of what we tried , okay, but nothing to rise an eyebrow. Also to my surprise surprise, when ordering the first glasses - the owner asked "okay for the wine but what about the food?"! You call yourself a wine bar " Le Wine Bar" but you worry more and immediately about food? Weird. Not that we didn't plan to eat, but what's the rush? Okay so trying to get some wine we ordered the food. A large charcuterie plate with Finocchiona, some kind of prosciutto crudo, Culatello? ... A plate of Bresaola , Buratta with tomatoes and arugula, and a little later a plate with prosciutto crudo di Parma.
We love salumi and prosciutto, but none of what we had at Le Wine Bar was more than just okay , the Parma and Bresaola rather below what I would describe as average.
Preparation, sliced- to think for some.
Leaves the service - here again nothing to rave about. Thanks , but not "au revoir"

lewinebar, Gérant at Le Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Customer,
thanks for your advice.
We apologize for having just 60 wines by yhe glass on our wine list ( biggest choice in Bordeaux ), maybe you did'nt read all the pages, as you did'nt read the notice board on the door:
"Because of our licence, we can’t serve alcoholic drinks without foods".
Concernig the stools at the barrel,they are comfortable enough for normal people.....
Best regards
Giancarlo

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Came here with two girlfriends for a glass of wine. Upon reaching the bar, we were told we had to order food and could not get a drink. Meanwhile, it was 11:30 pm and the place closes at midnight. Not to mention the group of three that entered the place seconds before us and were not approached at all. Was it because we are American? Awful service.

lewinebar, Gérant at Le Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Customer,
On the door of our wine bar there is a notice bord with the following indications:

"Notre licence nous impose que :

LA CONSOMMATION DE BOISSONS ALCOOLISEES DOIT S’ACCOMPAGNER D’UNE CONSOMMATION DE NOURRITURE

Because of our licence, we can’t serve alcoholic drinks without foods "

That's the low , the same for all wine bars in Bordeaux, to abide by everybody ( American, Spanish, Italian, French, German, Chinese etc etc )
I've just informed you ( and the group of three too ) about it, we regret your frustration, we hope you will have time for diner next time, I' ll take care of you personally.
God save America!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've just returned from a 2 night trip to Bordeaux - in which we visited here once at lunch, and another time at dinner.

The first time we had the 'set lunch menu' which was mozzarella/tomato salad or charcuterie platter (we had one of each and shared them), then a bruschetta which came with fried leeks and cured ham. Absolutely delicious. Alongside a couple of glasses of wine each, we spent 40 Euros for 2

Then for dinner we shared the mixed meat/cheese platter - came with ham with truffles which was a star of the show, alongside fennel salami and cured ham. Cheese - 3 Italian cheeses - don't remember the names of all of them, but one was tallegio. The Italian owner, alongside all the bar staff, spoke perfect English and were happy to advise on different wines - all of them were top quality. 6 glasses later and a slice gateaux de Basque we were feeling very merry and a perfect end to the holiday. It was pricier at 90 Euros for 2 but when in Bordeaux....

P.S. We were very lucky to get a seat for dinner on a Friday evening without a reservation, because we got there at 7.15pm, but I would advise to book if you want to go later. Lots of people were turned away because it was full.

lewinebar, Gérant at Le Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for taking time to let this advice, it is the perfect gasoline for our F1 engine!
Giancarlo