“Very pleasant stay”

Ranked #42 of 173 Hotels in Bordeaux
London, United Kingdom
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed in Mercure just one night. The staff is very friendly and helfull. Bed very comfortable. Nice and clean rooms.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Very well located just on the fringe of all that is Bordeaux. Short walk from the main mall and square. Very close to a shopping centre so you can access supermarket, bakery and a few shops. Really friendly helpful staff. Very efficient hotel that fulfills all your needs. Rooms are very spacious and clean with all the required facilities. Good place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Transient-friend
Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

With a small gift pack waiting in the room after a warm welcome at the reception desk, the weekend was off to a great start. The hotel is newly renovated, opposite a commercial center and a short walk from the sites. The breakfast is adequate, but the dinner menu is limited. Downside was that the streets around the hotel were a bit deserted at night.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank jacqand
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

Loved this hotel and would definitely be back!! We had one of the superior privilege rooms (by accident) and it was BEAUTIFUL. Free wifi, coffee machine, beautiful comfortable beds, gorgeous bathroom, you name it. Free Internet and printing in reception area. Staff were very friendly and helpful, will definitely stay again!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Puppiespaws
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

I'm not often moved to write a review, but my experience at this hotel was so awful I felt the need to start. During my trip, I stayed at 3 hotels in 3 cities, all of which were supposed to be 4 star hotels. This particular hotel was the most expensive and by far the worst.

The front desk staff was routinely rude and unhelpful. Both checking in and out were unpleasant experiences. When I asked for a restaurant recommendation I was told there are plenty of restaurants around and to just pick one. I found some, but they were all closed. I got put on a smoking floor and when I asked to be removed from that floor I was told they were full and to try again tomorrow. When I went to check out the front desk person sat there on her computer and said she couldn't help me, making me wait for the other worker to finish with her customers. During my visit I avoided the front desk, as my experiences were that bad!

The room was dingy and outdated and I didn't even have a bar of soap in the bathroom to wash my hands with the first day. The one upside I found is that there is a grocery store across the street so you can get a reasonably priced meal and bottle of wine.

I wouldn't stay here again. The location was fine, but everything else was miserable, especially considering the cost.

Room Tip: The top floor is a smoking floor
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank cpgecko

Travellers are raving about these Bordeaux hotels

Cork
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

Location is in commercial area close to old city centre.
Parking(paid) is convenient and secure.
The hotel is large and caters for tours and conferences
The first room we were given was unacceptable- chemical odour, small with tiny window.
The second was a bit dated, W.C bowl cracked and bend stained. Net curtains missing.
Nice welcome pack. Really good breakfast selection and service. Restaurant staff very helpful and pleasant. Busy reception area and experience with staff varied from efficient to indifferent

Room Tip: Ask if any rooms have been recently refurbished
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Noel021
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I am giving this hotel three stars because we had two diametrically different experiences there - one good, and one terrible. We had booked a room with two single beds: but it took twenty minutes to "sort that out" - when we arrived, the man at reception gave us a double bed. I said "sort out" - because when we went to the room assigned (on the 7th floor), it was beautiful - obviously newly renovated - but had a double bed and a pull out chair. Once again we marched back to reception - and this time, they put us on the 4th floor, where we had twin beds. BUT - the room was TERRIBLE - old, broken-down, musty, cracked countertop in the bathroom - the brown, orange and beige carpet and baby blue toilet were dead giveaways, that it obviously hadn't been renovated since the 70's. When we complained (a second time, around 3 p.m.), we were told they couldn't fix the situation until the following morning - which meant we spent the night on the 4th floor, with two tour groups opening and closing doors and yelling amongst themselves in the hallway all night. In the morning, we finally stopped dealing with the man at the front desk - a younger woman got us moved to a room with twin beds, on the 6th floor. It was renovated, but cheaply so - for example, the handrail in the tub was pulling out of the wall, and there were gaps between the tub and tiling. The man at reception continued to be a problem - when my father tried calling me from Canada , he was told by him, twice, that I wan't registered (we stayed there three nights!), even after we complained (and the male receptionist insisted I was in their computer system).
The hotel is a good 17 minute walk from the water, and 12 minutes from the town centre (opera house): and the side streets around it are horribly grubby, though safe enough at night (it is right behind a huge 70's -era closed shopping mall - and the facade is not well-lit at all, as depicted in the photo on this website).
The best thing about it was the breakfast - one of the better ones I've had in Europe. with a gracious and attentive hostess.
I wouldn't say "don't stay here" - just, be really careful to ensure you get a renovated room, the bed(s) you ask for - and don't deal with the older man at the front desk!

Room Tip: 7th floor great - 4th floor HORRIBLE - 6th floor decent. Ask for a RENOVATED room!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends