“French French French”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I won't repeat the very accurate descriptions of the food other reviewers have described. All I can say is "C'est magnifique!"

My wife and I so enjoyed our leisurely lunch at Le Bouchon Bordelais surrounded by a number of French locals having a wonderful time. The conversations were so lively, but not loud, and not always verbal. A taste of wine. An eyebrow raised, a whisper of satisfaction, a light touch connoting agreement. Watching all these friends interact with each other, and so close by was one of the best experiences of our trip to France.

Get a map. or put the address into your GPS. This charming and authentic restaurant is out of the way but well worth finding.

1  Thank Roy51

Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

What a little gem of a place?! So glad I got this recommendation through trip advisor. You definitely need to book this one as it is only a small place~ you can do this online. If you're looking for good French cuisine, with vibrant artwork on the walls and lounge music to boot, then this is the place for you. The service was efficient and friendly and the food was really nice too. The wine was also great and I got to try it before ordering it by the glass. I ordered the snails, then the pave (fish) and lastly the delicate homemade cheesecake. What a fabulous dinner out!

2  Thank Melissa B
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Recommended by friends, we booked (essential) at this tiny restaurant. Out of the way, but a short very walk from the main square of Bordeaux. A cosy, lovely room. As other reviewers have noted, the floor staff were happy to explain, in English since it was easier for us, that we could order the menu - three courses for 38 euros, with four or five choices in each course - or a degustation for 50 euros. The degustation would have been more food than we wanted, so we opted for the menu - great to have the choice of how to structure the meal. A terrific amuse bouche of pungent rocket soup; our first courses were asparagus soup and foie gras; then we each had a different fish dish; dessert was rhubarb creme brulee for one and chocolate for the chocaholic. A lovely bottle of red wine, and a stroll to the (very necessary) taxi stand. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Balisand
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have come back from Bordeaux, France just last Sunday. This was my first visit to the city. I was in France 10 years ago, in Paris and Grenoble but...in business, not on a holiday. This year I have decided to go there on a short city-break. I've chosen Bordeaux...quite randomly to be honest. Once the choice has been made, I started to look for a nice place to dine. As usual, I was counting on some good advice from the Trip Advisor community. My attention was drawn to..."Le Bouchon Bordelais" restaurant. Great reviews, nice pictures of the restaurant itself. I thought it would be good to check this place out. Upon arrival in Bordeaux, I started to search for this place. It was quite easy to find actually. The restaurant is located very close to the Bordeaux Opera, just in the heart of the Old Town but...still it is nicely hidden in an old medieval street. I was there in the afternoon and thought it would be good to ask if booking a table is necessary. I was so glad I had decided to make a reservation because believe me, this little place (they have 17 tables, each for 2 people only if I counted right!) is extremely popular between the locals and people like us who read the Trip Advisor! That evening I had seen many clients just bouncing back the door as all the tables were booked!
Right, now about the food itself! I would describe it in just 4 words: HEAVEN IN YOUR MOUTH! They know what they are good at! The menu is quite short: 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 desserts to choose from, and of course a massive range of wines! But please believe me, dining there is a pure pleasure! Whatever you have decided to go for, you are getting a free "amuse-bouche", a kind of appetiser to start from! I will not say what it is, but you will be over the moon! Well...a spicy avocado mousse is only one of them! Beautiful in taste and beautifully presented! For starters you can choose between the duck foie-gras, asaparagus with a poached egg and caviar and 2 more...but this is a secret. You need to go there and try. For main, a beautiful steak with the soya sauce glaze or lamb...and 2 others, and desserts...my favourite must be a platter of cheese served with a caprifig preserve. Amazing! The whole presentation of every single dish is a Michelin star!!! Every single penny spent there is really worth it!
Now, a few words about the staff. They are so friendly and welcoming!!! And they all speak English, so don't worry if your French is not perfect. Mine was not either! I was dining in the restaurant throughout my entire stay in Bordeaux and...I think I made some good friends there.
I mean the guys from the restaurant! Amazing girl, Clemence is in charge of the floor. Damien, a very sweet guy is supporting her. They will make sure you feel very comfortable and relaxed, and that this will be a kind of your once in a lifetime experience! A very good French dining experience, I shall add. I know that what I am writing now is only my opinion but I was really over the moon with the food and the service. Actually, I can honestly say that I have never tasted better food in my life! It's not cheap as me and my partner spent easily 100 euros every night (this included a beautiful bottle of red), but as I said earlier it is worth every single penny! I also met the chef of restaurant, a very talented Frederic and his sous-chef, Etienne. The girl that helps them is Katia. It's unbelievable how just 5 people can make all the guests in the restaurant that happy! The food served there is an example of the finest French cuisine, and the service you are getting is second to none! I do highly recommend "Le Bouchon Bordelais" as your next "dining stop" while in Bordeaux! I would also like to take this opportunity to say "Merci" to Clemence, Damien, Frederic, Etienne et Katia! I will be back to Bordeaux soon and I hope I will see you all! Gros bisous a tous! Thank you again for wonderful dinners and your honest welcome! I miss you already! Arthur from Glasgow, Scotland :)

1  Thank Arthur_Glasgow
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I have a dining in this restaurant every week. I saw many times how English speaking guests were surprised because they were ready that waiters don't speak English. This situation is tipical for the restaurants in France where we have menu only in French and nobody can talk to tourists in English.
This restaraunt is exceptional!
I preffer to book a table outside. I tasted all the menu during my many dinners there and can recommend a meat accompained red Bordeaux wines. There is a big range of wines and any waiter can suggest you the best composition to your dinner.

1  Thank Didier M