“Hamish is everything you could want from a guide”
Review of Bella Wine Tours

Bella Wine Tours
Ranked #25 of 71 Food & Drink in Bordeaux
More attraction details
Owner description: Quality wine tours run by Hamish Wakes-Miller, an experienced wine trader and knowledgeable guide to the best Chateaux in Bordeaux and the most interesting hidden gems in the south of France. Fun, enjoyable and educational.
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Hamish is a true gent and everything you could want from a guide. His career experience in wine and his local experience in Bordeaux made our first visit one I will always remember. My wife and I are enthusiastic wine lovers, but we have unsophisticated palates. Hamish arranged three amazing stops for us along the Medoc, two second growth and a first growth vineyard. We aren't the best at planning in advance, and so we left him with only a little over 24 hours to lock in our stops. He came through as if he had planned for months, but I am sure it was difficult. I would advise you contact him a few weeks or a month ahead if you can, to ensure he can get you into all of the places you want. As we are novices, we were happy to go anywhere. I realize how lucky we are now to have seen and tasted what we did.

At each vineyard the staff were happy to see him and treated us both extremely well as a result. He complements the information from each vineyard nicely and ties the tour together with as much information as you want about the region, its history, the trade and the people involved. I feel like I had a month course in the wines of Bordeaux in just under 9 hours. We had a lovely breakfast on the road and a delicious lunch in one of his small haunts in the village of St. Julien. I am not sure we would have been able to find as quaint and lovely a spot on our own. I can't begin to go into everything I learned, but I am sure I was only the scraping the surface of what Hamish has to offer. We are now in St. Emilion, where Hamish also arranged some stops for us to visit on our own in our rental car.

I have had private tour guides in lots of places, but I have heretofore only learned of them by word-of-mouth. Frankly, I am surprised that we found this quality of guide on Tripadvisor. If you are interested in the best quality tour you can get and you don't mind paying a little more for a private guide, then go with Hamish. It's like like having a good friend in the Bordeaux wine trade to show you around. I cannot recommend him enough.

1  Thank SitcomSerf

Reviewed 23 June 2014

This was our first trip to Bordeaux and we had an amazing time. Hamish at Bella Wine Tours was fantastic. He is a walking wikipedia of Bordeaux and a real pleasure to be with. In two days we visited eight Chateaux (all very different), had lunch with him at some wonderful spots, and dinner at some fun places too! Hamish made the trip. We spent our time in St Emilion and the Medoc region and learned so much. He went out of his way to make our trip special...we will remember it for a long time. Hamish is an excellent choice if you are thinking about a short or long trip to the region. Just amazing!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

If you are looking for someone to be your guide, from wine drinker to wine critic for the region of Bordeaux, look no further than Hamish at Bella Wine Tours. Excellent experience!

Spending time with Hamish is a delight. My wife and I like to think of ourselves as knowledgeable about wine but feel we got our French Wine Master's degree from Hamish in several days of private tours with him. He has forgotten more wine knowledge than I'll ever know, especially about the region of Bordeaux and all French wines. He presents information in a fun, interesting way that keeps your attention and keeps you asking questions.

For our visits he had to fit into our crazy travel schedule around the region and did so without missing a beat. When we come again to Bordeaux and meet up with Hamish (which we most certainly will), we will base out of downtown Bordeaux as it seems to be the best compromise for being central to the different regions and spending less time in the car. Plus, being downtown gives you a great, diverse selection of amazing restaurant selections, which I'm sure he will recommend a few. Bravo!

1  Thank gliderking
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I first want to thank Hamish for our outstanding wine tour! He was wonderful, informative, and any other superlative you can think of. Our family had a private tour. We had two small children with us and Hamish worked hard to make them comfortable and to work around a child's schedule. The Bordeaux countryside was amazing. It was the reason we came to Bordeaux and we were not disappointed! Thank you for an amazing day!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sent the kids on a school trip, then we escaped to Bordeaux for the week! Spent 4 days visiting vineyards across the region. Covered the left and right bank, with amazing access everywhere. From the power of Pauillac, to the grace of St Emilion and the elegance of Sauternes, we had a wonderful time and learned so much! Bella Wines is highly recommended. Our guide clearly knew this area and wines - but his strong relationships across the region are remarkable. What a memorable visit - trip of a lifetime! Great choices, great pace, and great wines!

1  Thank Winelovers63