“good find on short notice”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bordeaux
Auberge de Jeunesse
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“good find on short notice”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Got a room for a reasonable price on short notice (on the day). Very average and basic all round. Had to make the bed etc yourself with sheets provided. Beds were not very comfortable. Breakfast was very basic also (bread, preserves, tea and coffee). Had the feeling of a block of flats. Also the hostel was not just for youths, I encountered an older man in fhe hallway that seemed rather shady (seemed drunk). Also the breakfast room was full of peopoe banging tables and being loud til around 3am which may be a problem if you are a light sleeper or need a good nights sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
bordeaux
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I absolutely loved this hostel. The staff were incredibly helpful. The website said that they only do a maximum of three day bookings. My computer was broken and it took a week to fix. The hostel staff allowed my to extend my booking as I needed without any hassle, at the last minute.
The breakfast is served until 10:30 which suited my sleeping habits perfectly and is included in the price. I love baguettes so had no problems with the bread. To the bread critic who reviewed the hostel, you're in France. Go buy yourself some nice bread if it isn't good enough.
The atmosphere of the hostel was perfect. I have made many good friends and am now travelling with a tent that one girl gave me. The kitchen area has 2 stoves and a huge fridge and plenty of left over pasta and things that people have left behind.
I stayed almost a week in total and by the end of it the Auberge de Jeunesse felt like home. I miss it dearly now!! (and will no doubt return soon).
So if you find yourself in Bordeaux, go meet some new friends and enjoy breakfast at the Auberge de Jeunesse!

Room Tip: if you read this bit you probably shouldn't stay in hostels
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank hannah f
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The Hostel is easy to find from the station and not far from a lot of the main sightseeing, touristy areas of Bordeaux. I The area is alright, nothing too spectacular, however the staff are friendly and speak a good standard of English ,during my stay, there was also a native English speaker at reception. The rooms at the hostel are clean, quite sparse but what you would expect. However the rooms were too hot during my stay, no air-con.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Location: relatively easy to find from public transit. Because of its closeness to the tram, it's easy to get to other parts of Bordeaux quickly, especially the central touristy areas like the mirror pond, various churches, and museums. The area within a couple blocks of the hostel is not terribly interesting, but there are cheap food places and grocery stores nearby. I always felt safe walking at night. We stayed out until about 1:30am, the doors are closed from 2-5am. Especially in the summer and on weekends, you see families with children up at 1am, especially in the cafes and green spaces.

Checkin: Was very easy. Every front desk worker I talked with could speak a high level of English. They were friendly and willing to help with questions. There were maps and tourist brochures available, but no free tours or additional services that I could see.

Rooms: Before I begin: we stayed three nights in a private, 2-bed room. It cost us 23 euros per person per night in almost peak season. It was a wheelchair room with a toilet and shower. Our room, the hallways, and every room I could peek in looked clean. The hostel also looked recently renovated--paint looked fresh, furniture new, and minimal signs of wear. They clean the rooms daily, between 11am and 3pm? We found this out as a cleaning lady entered the room and explained (in English) that we are supposed to leave the room between these times. This was not explained at the front desk, but the woman was polite and agreed to come back tomorrow instead.

Sleep quality: The mattresses are decent, average standard foam hostel mattresses on bunkbeds. Two sheets and a blanket. Our room came with an oscillating fan. According to other hostelgoers, the larger rooms (4 person) did not have fans. It was hot. Bordeaux was having record heat, and I had trouble sleeping in my undergarments even with the fan. Other hostelgoers mentioned getting up to take multiple cold showers in the middle of the night in order to sleep. The area was quiet, no noises or bright lights to keep us up. Each room also comes with a light-blocking automated shade over the windows that open, so you can sleep even if there is light. I imagine that travelling during non-summer times would be much more comfortable.

Security: The front desk has a safe in which they store valuable items. We stored our laptops there while we were out. The hostel also offers luggage storage. You get a key from the front desk (not sure about cost involved) and that key gives you access to the luggage closet. If your things are not valuable, they are probably safe. However, a person could easily swipe smaller items without being noticed. Each room has cabinets, but they do not lock. Adding a locking mechanism seems like it would be an easier solution to improving security.

Breakfast: Was free. Is served until 10:30am. Cereal (1-3 types per day), baguettes, butter, nutella, jam, milk, tea, coffee, orange juice. Unlimited trips through the buffet. Not terribly exciting, but no additional charge. It never ran out, so I was happy. They leave any leftover baguettes pieces out for people to eat during the day.

Kitchen: Was cleaned well every day (probably 2x a day). 2 ovens, 8 burners, 1 fridge, 2 microwaves (out in the dining area). Decent selection of pans and utensils, needs hotpads for taking things in/out of the oven. The space is a little small, but it was easy to use. With 20+ people using it every meal, the area can get a little messy, but people were generally respectful and the kitchen was always returned to a decent state by the cleaning staff later. No insects or dried-on stuff. There was a free pile of leftovers, and hostelgoers are often willing to give leftovers to each other. The fridge was pretty packed, so we mostly cooked fresh food.

Public spaces and Internet: We spent a lot of time in the public spaces. The dining area is open most of the day, and people sit there with laptops. There are a few outlets, but they never felt packed while we were there. The internet was solid and consistent--and no additional charge. Many of the private and public internet connections in France have sucked. My husband was able to play LOL anytime he wanted. You have to login about once an hour--sometihng about the system resets, so you just log back in. They have lots of seats in the dining area, a couple couches elsewhere, a foosball table, some magazines, and a TV.

People are social here, but it doesn't feel like a party hostel. I like it that way.

Room Tip: Spend a couple extra Euros for the private room if you have 2 people. Plus you might get a fan...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NearlyNomadsR
Dun-le-Palestel, France
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I've just returned home after two nights at this Hostel. On the positive side, the staff are very pleasant and friendly and they permitted me to put my motorbike inside the doorway after it had been interfered with outside during the first night of my stay.
The area is dreadful - and I've travelled to some dangerous parts of the world. On the first night my phone was stolen from the pocket of my jacket. However, the second night (this morning) was even worse.
At approx 6am I heard a movement in the room. I thought it was just one of the other guys in the room getting up to use the loo down the corridor..Shortly afterwards i was suddenly aware of someone close to my bed and of a smell of bad breath. When i opened my eyes there was a guy kneeling beside my bed stealing my laptop (charging overnight). I shouted "What the hell do you think you're doing". When I looked round the room, I realised that the other residents of the room were in their beds. I shouted "Get out!" several times. He said something in French that I didn't understand. My fellow room-mates were awake by now and the French guy also shouted at him and the intruder fled.
The reception staff later showed me a photo of the intruder; apparently he is a regular thief who checks-in as a guest. Please do not stay at this property until they have better security. It is only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured.
I hope that my dreadful experience can do something towards improving this Hostel. Or maybe Bordeaux (a magnificent city) needs to invest in new hostel somewhere else in the city.

Room Tip: Pay only a little bit more and choose different accommodation if you value your safety.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
15 Thank WildeOscar
AJBordeaux, Gérant at Auberge de Jeunesse, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Hello and thank you for your comment.
We deeply regret what happened on the last night of your stay. The guest who entered your room walked-in at 10 PM and paid for our last available bed. It was his first and last time in our hostel. He actually tried to stay again the night after but as all the staff were informed of his conduct, we of course refused him. The picture we showed you to identify the culprit was just the photo of his passport, as we ask for identification from all our guests when they check-in. Fortunately, he couldn't steal anything that night and he won't be able to do so in the future, as we won't accommodate him again.
We are truly sorry but we couldn't predict that someone who checked-in as a normal guest would try to rob other guests during their sleep. It is not a question of security, this type of situation can happen in any hostel. The security in our hostel meets all the standards. We ask our guests to leave the room key at the reception when they go out and we always verify the identity of all our guests. We also have a safe at the reception where everyone can store valuables, at night and at any time of the day.
As for your comment regarding the area, it is true that it is not the coolest in Bordeaux with the best bars and restaurants and that you have to walk 15 minutes to find the nightlife and cultural spots, but it is a residential neighborhood, which is quiet and well located between the train station and the city centre. Certainly not a dreadful place as you mention it.
We apologize for the experience that led you to rate our hostel so unfavorably. Once again, we are sorry your stay with us did not fulfil your expectations and hope to welcome you again in the future in order to prove to you that this experience was an exception and absolutely not a reflection on the reality of our hostel and Bordeaux.
Sincerely yours,
L'auberge de Jeunesse de Bordeaux

Travellers are raving about these Bordeaux hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Whilst this hostel is easy to find from the station and quite close to the city centre it is certainly not a destination in and of itself: the area is rather sketchy and I was not completely comfortable wandering around after dark.

The rooms are rather spartan but generally comfortable enough; breakfast was basic and being included is a nice touch. Unfortunately there is absolutely no atmosphere in the place: it is a place to sleep; even if loud music for nearby did disturb me a little at night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Hereward M
Toulouse, France
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I found the staff of this hostel very friendly, the rooms comfortable and very clean, the kitchen simple as you'd expect and yet it fit the bill perfectly, I met some really cracking people there and the staff were really helpful with helping you get around Bordeaux and if you had any questions in french or English they could answer them. All in all I had a great time at this hostel and it made the next hostel I went to look awful in comparison to this fantastic place. I'm a big fan!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo