“Wretched little hotel......”

Hotel Mercure Bordeaux Centre Gare Saint Jean
Ranked #39 of 174 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed 18 June 2014

One of my travel buddies and I researched hotels in Bordeaux before going to France and figured it had to be good based on the reviews...This place was worse than the pits.
We chose this hotel because it was close to the railway station, we were spending limited time in four major cities.
The room was cramped (I've been to Europe, you can expect this), the air conditioning did not work, and when I complained to the front desk, all of a sudden, no one spoke English. I ended up with mosquito bites all over because the room was so stuffy the only thing we could do is open the windows.
The worst issue we had with this hotel (Yes, there's more...) was the area that it was located...It was rundown, seedy, and scary around sundown. There were a few decent places around the hotel to have meals, but if you wanted to sit outside,you ran the risk of being approached by one of Bordeaux's several homeless/mentally ill patrons.
We were more than happy to leave after three days...Never again...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nancylouwho
There are newer reviews for Hotel Mercure Bordeaux Centre Gare Saint Jean

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked this hotel via booking.com. It was a bargain at €140 for two nights. And for what I paid it was decent enough. A friendly welcome on arrival, the room was ready for us even though we arrived before the official check-in time.

The hotel is situated about 25-30 minutes walk outside of Bordeaux centre but the tram stops right outside and is frequent. The hotel has car parking and is very close (5 minutes walk) from Gare St Jean.

The room is quite satisfactory, the beds very comfortable and the bathroom clean. The hotel appears clean throughout. It is quiet, so a good nights sleep was had. however, the air conditioning is not effective, if indeed it was working at all!

The decor is very dated in the corridors, they are painted dark brown and quite gloomy. It has a 1970's feel about it. The rooms are brighter and had had some modernising .

At the weekends the place seems to close down- the restaurant is not open, there is no room service. This did not bother me- this is France and there are plenty of good restaurants to eat in, but I felt this rated this hotel as three not four stars.

Overall a decent enough hotel for the price I paid. If I had paid more I would be less impressed and if I was expecting four star amenities I would be even less enamoured.

The room did not have a safe which for a city hotel I felt was a major omission.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I think I would also look around at what else was available before booking.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mr-Cinnamon-UK
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We have just returned from a three night stay in Bordeaux and booked our hotel via hotel.com which meant we paid around £55 per night on a room only basis. I have to say that I found the location was pretty perfect. Firstly the locale is not rough, seedy or any other descriptors as some have said. It is what it is. On a high street near the railway station. This means it is perfect for those coming by train which is just a 10 minute walk away (just follow the tram line and you cannot hope to miss the hotel). It is also perfect for those like us who flew into Bordeaux because the excellent Navette Shuttle bus drops you at the railway station. Our rooms were excellent I thought. Would it have been good to have a fridge (yes, hence a 4 not a 5 star) but reception will give you fresh milk in a jug for tea and coffee (how many French hotels have tea and coffee facilities like this one? Not many). The bed was fantastic as were the pillows and all in our party of four in two rooms said they enjoyed excellent sleeps. No-one admits it, but everyone does it, but we enjoyed a glass of wine and some snacks in our room, very much helped by the hotel being just a three minute walk from a Carrefore supermarket with a really excellent pharmacy attached. The supermarket has an outstanding selection of local food, beers and wines. You are then just a ten minute tram ride to the glorious city centre of Bordeaux because, you guessed it, there is a tram stop (Tauzia) almost bang outside the hotel. What would have helped? A fridge perhaps. But the location, matched by the really, really helpful staff and the relatively important issue of getting a good nights sleep more than made up for it. Finally, we went room only (as usual because we think hotels by and large overcharge for breakfast). As anyone who travels regularly to France or Spain will know, a central railway station will usually be accompanied by somewhere quite decent to eat, whether on a budget or not. We found an excellent place to eat right by the railway station with a breakfast of coffee, juice and either croissant/pain du chocolat for less than 4 Euros. The same place did a quite fantastic lunch as we awaited our bus back to the airport. Summing up, If and when I return to Bordeaux I will book this hotel. Because for me 4/5 is good enough.

Room Tip: We stayed in 115 and 116.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Darron1970
Reviewed 4 June 2014

It is nearby the train station and was selected for this purpose but it is old and tired. The rooms and corridors are very dark with brown walls and red carpet and it needs some refurbishment. The room was average size but lacked a refrigerator and safe; essentials today in a hotel. If near the station is required it is OK but there will be better accommodation in Bordeaux

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel was clean and quiet. The room was reasonably sized, albeit with a huge bed. As is usual with some hotel chains, the WC was separate from the bathroom which I always find a bit strange. The hotel is handy for the main station and is right on the tram line to the centre. It is about a twenty minute walk to the centre.

On the negative side the air-conditioning wasn't great and the restaurant was closed. Even getting a drink in the bar took some effort.

If this was a 3* hotel I might have given a higher rating, but its supposed to be 4* and so needs to be of a higher standard.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul G
Reviewed 15 May 2014

My partner and I had an excellent time in Bordeaux and stay at this hotel. The hotel was clean and well located to travel into the tourist areas of Bordeaux. The best part however was speaking with Natalie at the hotel, ask for her the next time you visit the hotel. She has a wealth of knowlege about the area, passionate about her job and always willing to help. A very classy lady that can point you to the right locations to see and dine at. Our excellent stay and experience was largely due to her recommendations and friendly persona. There should be more hotel staff like this at hotels - my parter and I have travelled to many many places and we always are greatful to meetg staff like this. Many thanks Natalie.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cdcruz1977
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The room was spacious, the staff very helpful and friendly - but the breakfast could have been more interesting. The hotel appeared clean and well kept. I had a shower and toilet separated. I've never seen it at other hotels. If you order a taxi, ask the staff to order a driver who take credit cards. None of the three drivers I used had it and they all asked for cash. And it was VERY
expensive. I guess I was fooled.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business