“Tiny restaurant with excellent French comfort food”
Review of Bistrot L' Exploit - CLOSED

Bistrot L' Exploit
Price range: US$21 - US$49
Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I always am suspicious when everyone likes a restaurant, but this place is really that good. I suspect they only book each table one time per night as they really do turn away people with no reservations. The owners are very friendly and are not afraid to make suggestions. Although my French is limited, I had fun interacting with our hostess. She told me that I could not have the bone marrow and the oxtail as that would be too heavy. She was right, the seared scallops served on an eggplant puree with a touch of mint and a drizzle of honey and white balsamic. The star was the oxtail cooked for 12 hours, boned and served with foie gras and a rich brown sauce. The wine list short but pairs well with the food. We finished with a classic Grand Marinier soufflé.
Worth the trouble making the reservation to experience such classic simply prepared food!

3  Thank Carl J

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We stopped by on Saturday after reading the reviews, but they were booked. They are closed Sunday, so we booked for Monday. The menu is very interesting, with oxtail and pig feet being two of the highlights. My husband chose monk fish cheeks, and i tried the oxtail. Both dishes were very creative. The waitress suggested a nice wine to go with both dishes. Then came the desert - it was to die for. All this time we were looking at various musical instruments decorating the first floor. this place has character and very unusual food, so I would recommend it to anyone who likes to try new dishes.

1  Thank Tatyana F
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The previous reviews on this place are correct. This is a lovely restaurant with a very relaxed ambiance, good and attentive service and very tasty, well presented and good quality food. You do need to reserve however. Although not full on the evening I visited people turning up without a reservation were largely turned away so be warned.

3  Thank seasonedtavellor
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We discovered this restaurant by chance - how lucky can one get ? The most amazing meal, great wine, great ambience and a fantastic host. The prices were very reasonable given the quality of the food and the setting near the old church is beautiful. The owner was a musician - guitarist, song writer who admitted that in his youth he was a rock and roller, a lovely man who looked after us really well.
Can't wait for my next visit to Bordeaux.

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

We came into this place with our local guide, of course that helped a bit.

Even he told that reservation is mandatory due to popularity of this restaurant. After the meal I can say ,... No wonder.

We had a full courses from the beginning to the end. To be honest not a bad deal at all.

Food was Excellent and portions were big enough to fill even big guys stomacke.

We had some excotic food and all courses were delicious. Even the kids tasted something new,... Both of them.

Son ordered his beef as raw, bloody, blue,... And it came like that,... You normally don't get this for children But in this place they did as the young customer wanted it.

Service was Excellent and it was nice to see how the waiters were communicating with all of their customers.

At the end of the day,... When I saw the bill,... Quality price ratio could not be better.

Message to restaurant owners. Keep it this way and your business will continue as it is now - blooming and growing.

I can highly recommend this place to other visitors, food lovers and epicurians.

1  Thank Jouni V