“Just Great Value”

Ranked #44 of 88 Bordeaux B&B and Inns
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
“Just Great Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

A typical town house in Bordeaux. Rooms at the front are noisy due to street traffic even in the small hours but this is unspoilt by the charm of the property. Breakfast is more than adequate with lots of choice and good quality produce. Pretty rear garden with a pool. All kept up to scratch by Miriam a polite and helpful host providing all the information you need. Recommended restaurants were consistently good. If you want to take tours Miriam will direct you to a good deal. Its a bit like being a teenager in the morning with Mum checking you have all you need and sending you on your way........charming and genuine hospitality.

Room Tip: Towards the garden for quietness or towards the road for quaint French experience
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Teaneck, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

My best friend and I booked the "Gourmet Week in Bordeaux" to celebrate our joint 30th birthdays. The accommodations were lovely - the room was spacious and clean (especially the bathroom) and the beds were comfortable. Our room faced the street, so if you plan on sleeping in late, there will be some street noise to contend with; we, however, did not find this to be a problem. The garden is wonderful and quite peaceful after a long day. Myriam, her mother and her two cats were excellent hosts.

I highly recommend, if you are going for a holiday, to speak with Myriam in advance. The activities - wine tastings, walking tours, food classes, etc. - were all excellent. Myriam, as well as the other guides and hosts she worked with were all pleasant and happy to share their knowledge. While the gourmet week is not inexpensive, both my friend and I got much more than we were expecting (and we thought prior to the trip that it was a good deal based on the description) and thought that the trip provided true value. I have recommended this already to friends and colleagues and cannot wait to return!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CDoyle11
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Myriam and her mother are gracious hosts in Bordeaux. 22 Bordeaux is a short walk from the city center and many good restaurants are nearby. Her home is decorated nicely and the bedrooms are spacious. The house is over 200 years old and as such you may hear some movement of other guests at times. If you have a chance, sign up for one of Myriam's cooking classes. She is a fantastic chef and good teacher. We had two classes, one of which included a visit to the Capucins Market. We will definitely be making some of her recipes at home. Myriam also arranged tours of the wine regions and Arcachon. She and the driver were very insightful about the wine and history of the region.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dat72
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

I visited Bordeaux on a business trip and Myriam's hotel was just what I needed after a long day travelling and having meetings. The hotel is beautifully decorated and the whole house is very peaceful. My room was a lovely size and it had a separate bathroom which overlooked the stunning local architecture. Myriam made me a lovely breakfast in the morning and was very accommodating - she even kept a look out for my taxi when it was raining outside to save me from getting wet! A fantastic hostess, I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Edegem
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I did make my reservation on the 23th of may because of an advertising made by Myriam on the internet offering her rooms at 100 euro a night in stead of 120 euro. I made my reservation for the room Cailhau for 2 nights for the19th and 20th of august. I received confirmation for the room Cailhau and a I had to pay 100 euro in advance. Arriving at 20:15 on the 19th she showed us our room. It was a room under construction and half the size of the one we reserved with no proper curtains ( they were still making them) and with the bed against the wall so you had to climb over the bed. (See photo) A corded floor that hurt your feet.
I told her this was not the room I booked. She answerd that there were people paying 120 euro
a night so she gave our room to them. On top of this she said that if we were not pleased with it she would return us the 100 euro we payed in advance and that she would look for another room available in Bordeaux. It was already 20:30 in the evening so my husband didn't want to spoil the evening running around Bordeaux to find another room and we decided to stay. We did sleep bad because of a persistent buzz of the boiler.
I can make a list of all the rude answers she gave during our stay but it is too stupid to mention.
We had too much luagage, we wanted our breakfast to early etc..
The second day we received the room we booked and that room and bathroom were lovely. The breakfast was great to in that lovely garden.
The day we left I asked her how much I had to pay her and she did answer in a very arrogant way : you know how much you have to pay me. So I gave her the 100 euro not willing to go in any discussion, but the first room we received was even not worth 50.
So if you decide to stay here you better check if the room you booked is still available for you because maybe someone else offered more and than you end in the attic.
I never met a host more rude and dishonest than her. If she had inform us that we couldn't have the room because she received a better offer for the room, than we could have booked another B&B in advance because really you could not compare this room with room Calhau . Regrettable because if you would receive what you payed and booked for and if she wouldn't be so patronizing all the time it would be a place to recommend.
The score I gave below is to give a HONEST evaluation so it is a mix of the 2 rooms we had.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank GerdaEdegem
PARIGOURMAND, Propriétaire at 22Bordeaux, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
You say dishonest, I wonder who are dishonest, first of all because when you booked the room in March during a week all the rooms where at 100 Euros, just for the mentionned period, (7 DAYS) and not in August, but I wrote to you to tell you that I would be pleased to accord this price.
When you arrived I explained clearly to you that Room Cailhau was booked with people who arrived 3 days before and it was for me difficult to ask them to move because you arrive. But I told you that you will move the day after and I tried to explain that because I have only 4 rooms it is difficult for me to reserve a room in advance it depends when people arrive and leave the rooms, I decorate myself all the rooms I hope with taste, and I am very surprised you forgot to show the bathroom and all the room but just your bed and I suppose you did not receive the room wth the bed not made. I could understand you did not like the decoration, but do not disgust other guests who really appreciate this room. You said that the room is half dimension comparing with room CAILHAU, but I am sorry to tell you that you are wrong, because this room is larger, and it is easy to proof, because in this room you have the same size of bed 160 X 200 as room cailhau and you have a larger antique table 1, 10 x 2,20 and it is impossible to place it in the room cailhau + a magnificent antique armchait (you could like or not it is another problem) and like before you could not place it in room cailhau !
The bathroom is double size as the one in room Cailhau.
for the curtain I am really sorry for that and I agree it was not the right you could expect but now is the good one.
I was not arrogant when I answer to you for the price but perhaps you have to understand I am French talking in English and sometimes the way I talk with my accent could make me arrogant but I was not and I try all the time to make my guests happy and they keep the best memories of their stay at home. 98 % it is a real success and sometimes like you it was not and I feel really sorry for that.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Reading all the reviews, I believe this place would be perfect maybe for more mature people that are happy to get advices and the owner opinion on everything. However if are a young couple or group of friends that wants to move freely in and out your room you might be a bit annoyed by the omnipresence of the owner like we where. We felt more like guests in a someone else's house than customers who have paid quite a bit of money for a room. Only the toilet paper was replaced during out 3 nights stay, but not the tea/coffee, the towels, shampoos etc.
I would not go back to this hotel, but I would recommend it for the confortable and spacious rooms, and the great location. In our case it was also very quiet at night, even though the walls were paper thin.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Capucine_LG
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

A beautifully discreet and charming hotel in a great location for visiting the city. The rooms and decor were subtle and elegant giving the feeling that you were staying in home which featured in a stylish magazine. On a hot August day the pool was perfect for cooling off and relaxing. We would definitely recommend this.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple