City Residence Bordeaux Centre
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Didn't have high expectations as the price was so cheap but even so this place is not a good place to stay. The room was basic, dark, with dirty blankets, torn bedding and stained floors. The sofa is broken and very uncomfortable. Moreover, the staff are rude - in particular the girl who when I asked her a question (in french) about check out for the morning as we were setting off at 6am simply told me that she had officially finished work for the day and had too much to do to respond to me! This in person at reception, with no other staff working. Quite incredible. I'm sure there is much nicer accommodation available in Bordeaux. We hated the room so much that we spent all of our time out in cafes and bars so would have been more economical spending a little more on a nicer room somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed 25 February 2013

The flat is well located but not so clean
some hairs in the bathroom
some dust on the funiture

but the small jitchen was very useful in order to take the breakfast, or cook dinner.

the decoration is quite basic but enough for an hotel !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We were a family of 4 - travelling with our 2 kids. Overall I would say that this place is great if all you are looking for is somewhere cheap to crash. Do not expect the apartment to function as a self catering unit since the kitchen is terribly equipped eg no tablespoons, only 2 teaspoons were provided, no cooking utensils except a whisk! When we asked for a corkscrew we were told to take our bottle to Italian restaurant across the street to open the bottle. Apart from Nancy who greeted us on arrival, all other staff were very unhelpful. Overall a 2 out of 5 and that rating is only because the rom cost worked out at 70 quid a night for the 4 of us. Otherwise worth giving this one a skip.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2012 via mobile

My mum and I recently booked this hotel online for one night in Bordeaux. I emailed hotel in the morning whilst on the train to see when check in was and if we could check in around midday. I was responded to with a definitive 'no' and was told that reception is shut at 12 till 3pm. While we were in the taxi I asked the driver to call ahead as we were going to be a few minutes after 12. The rude woman from the hotel insisted the the taxi driver several times that they shut at 12 and no later. He couldn't believe it! So he pleaded and she gave in eventually. When we arrived we dropped our bags off and left quickly because of the unwelcoming atmosphere and also she was counting her precious minutes.
The room itself was more basic than we expected. It seemed like it was built or teenagers and it was advertised to sleep four but one bed was a fold out sofa and the bedroom upstairs had no door so there would be no privacy if two couples were using this room.
There was no kettle and hardly any kitchen facilities which is not what you would expect in a self contained apartment.
The next day we had the breakfast which was terrible. None of the food was fresh, no fruit just pastry, cereal and some packaged snacks. The coffee was awful and there was no English breakfast tea only herbal.
As I was hiring a car that day I wanted to pick it up at 9 and bring it back to hotel parking until 11 when we checked out. I asked the man at reception (hoping he was nicer than the girl) and he looked at me like I was dumb and suggested street parking as they did not allow parking for only a few hours. It would have really helped as it was my first time driving in France and I wanted some reassurance that I had somewhere easy to park for my first drive. I could have begged and grovelled ( I think that's what they expect you to do in France) but I couldn't be bothered so we quickly packed up and left.
All in all a very unwelcoming place with no idea about customer service! News spreads so hopefully this will deter others.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I have travelled from Australia to France 6 times, 3 of which were to the beautiful city of Bordeaux! This review is a true and honest description of my unfortunate experience in this Hotel.
If you are not adverse to the stench of cigarette smoke throughout your room...Then this is the place for you.
If you expect to purchase basic appliances ie: Kettle & Toaster (Albeit you have paid for an apartment) Then this is the place for you!
If you expect polite, helpful, and friendly staff...Then this is DEFINITELY not the place for you!
The only public phone did not work, and even after reporting this, 3 days later still not working, no P.C for internet access, so I felt totally isolated from the outside world, as the hotel was a long walk through dark narrow streets, to access these facilities and as a solo traveller I was not game to venture out at night. After 4 nights I had had enough of this very unfriendly environment, so decided to check out. On checkout, I was refused my refund in cash 562.00 euro (I had paid in full upon arrival in cash) and a credit card was snatched out of my hand from a VERY rude female staff member, who gave me the credit slip, with much huffing and puffing! After 1 week the funds were still not in my account,and I was leaving France 2 days later, so I returned to the hotel to explain this and yes, I got the same extremely rude member of staff, who argued and verbally abused me, in front of a hotel guest. Well today at home in Australia, after many emails, and expensive international phone calls I finally have my refund 6 and a half weeks later. I am an aged pensioner, well travelled, and I have to say, this is the worst experience I have ever had on my travels, if this was the only Hotel available in Bordeaux I would move on to the next city! No apology was ever offered to me.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel! Do not stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

began badly,no decent directions to get there.On arrival reception closed and number given to get access did not answer,and then answered with a recorded message in french. thankfully another resident accessed the safe with our and another groups keys. On finally dragging ouselves to our room at 11,30pm we discover a filthy room, bed linen and towels not changed,bottles condoms etc. Could not get hold of city residence staff so rang booking .com and they arranged anther room which reeked of cig smoke. Aconditioning did not work.lobby phone did not work,and dispite all this not an apology offered.Just arude and offhand receptionist named pauline who just said it has nothing to do with me!!! did not even offer a breakfast as a way of apology. Just felt they had already debited my credit card so they didnt feel the need to provide service at all

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012

Very difficult to find in a backyard, the room was ok but nothing more. The could have taken look in the room once a day to see if we needed new towels and toalet paper.
Ok for younger people that need a cheap stay

Erik