“Basic, kind staff. Convenient location.”
Review of Hotel Choiseul

Hotel Choiseul
Hotel Choiseul
Ranked #143 of 175 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed at the Choiseul Hotel for 2 nights in a 1 person room with a twin bed. The hotel was in a convenient location, walking distance to the botanic garden and quinconces, about a 10 minute walk to the cathedral and bourse. The room was very basic - window overlooking the street, a desk, television and a washbasin in a little cupboard in the corner of the room. The shower was upstairs and toilet down the hall. Have to admit that neither were 'sparkling' clean feeling and I decided not to shower at that hotel but hold off until the next stop. I was travelling as a backpacker on this trip so I was looking for nothing more than a clean bed to sleep in, which I definitely got. Hotel staff was friendly though the front desk is not open 24-7 so double check that they'll be there at your arrival time when you make your reservation. Wifi is available only in the reception area so access is also limited. I left the hotel before breakfast started each morning but it is available.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Margs003

Reviewed 6 May 2011

We booked with a deal on booking.com and couldn't be happier with our experience. The hotel was very centrally located and was close to both shopping and the train station. The staff was very considerate and willing to help us with our trip and we really enjoyed our stay. Although we've been travelling for awhile, this hotel was the first one that made us feel like we were on vacation! The rooms were small, but with great views and a very comfortable bed! The toilet was a bit snug to the wall, and this might be a problem if you are a larger person, but it's very typical for Europe. Loved it! We only wish they had Wifi!

Room Tip: Book online!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bedwardes
Reviewed 4 December 2010

So pleased to find this hotel- perfect location, close to trams, allee de tourny (brilliant christmas market), restaurants, grand maison (carrefour supermaret) & the tourism office.
Yes the rooms are small and basic.
No facilities in my single room but communal ones on floors above and below
The price says it all.
Erick was VERY helpful on check & offered to look after by bags (without me asking) before catching the train later in the day. Make sure you check their website for checking in. The office is usually closed in the afternoon but an email assured me of the code and location of my key.
Very clean & very helpful service.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2009

We made our reservations over email and I had told the staff we were expecting to arrive around 2. Well, thanks to train problems, we arrived after 3, only to discover that the front door was locked and there was no sign of anyone inside. We knocked on the door, rang the doorbell/intercom, no luck. Finally I wrote down the number pasted on the door - the one that says to call in case of emergency - and made my way through the shops, hoping to find a kind shopkeeper who would let me borrow a phone. No one answered the emergency line, and no response on the hotel's main line either. I left the shop, went back to my fiance, and then went to a different shop to try from a different phone. Finally we got through to a man who must have been the owner/manager, who said we needed the code to get in. Well, of course, but we just arrived an hour ago and didn't have the codes yet. The manager gave us the code and told us to leave our bags in one of the rooms in the back - the key was on the table. At least then we were able to go out and see Bordeaux for a couple hours while we waited for the manager to arrive and actually check us in.

At check-in, the manager claimed he'd thought we were going to arrive at 1, which was not the case at all. But we got checked into our actual rooms, which were clean and spacious even if the furnishings were a little dated. We didn't see the manager again until I went to return the internet cable I'd checked out, and he claimed I hadn't paid for it yet. We did see his wife a couple times - she did the cleaning and checked us out the night before we left because no one would be working the next morning - but other than that, we saw no trace of staff.

The location was good, the rooms were pretty and quiet, and Bordeaux overall is a great city, but you can do better than this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BookGirl9
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Very nice hotel in Bordeaux ! Owner was very helpful with us. Our room was very clean (no need to use our liner in the bed!), air dryer in room, a lot of air in the room, big window ! Beautiful room ! Location very good, about 10-15 min by foot to main attractions on Bordeaux. I'll definitely go back to this hotel when I'll be back to Bordeaux !

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2009

This place is a budet hotel. Private rooms, but communal washrooms. Very clean and spacious. French language is a necessity here. Location not so great.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2008

I am sure that this hotel would have been great if we had been able to stay there.

After booking online about 4 months before we arrived, we confirmed our reservation via email about 2 days before we were due to arrive. The hotel had stuffed up on reservation (despite the confirmation we had received showing they had confirmed three nights) however they only booked us for 2 nights.

We emailed back asking if they could fix the reservation for the extra night and that we would be arriving at 6.30pm the next day.

No response was received to our emails, and subsequent phone calls.

After arriving via train at 6.30 and finally arriving to the hotel at 7pm, no one was there. We rang the phone number on the door, only to be told by "Erich" that we had not confirmed our reservation, and he had given our room away to someone else.

Always pleasant when that happens, especially when you have made all attempts to do the right thing and the hotel decides to give your room away, when you have indeed already confirmed your reservation.

Three hourse later after walking the streets of central Bordeaux, we finally found an available room at Hotel de France, which was nice and small and quiet...with best of all....good service.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple