“Terrible price/quality”

and 1 more site!
Une Chambre en Ville
Ranked #39 of 94 Bordeaux B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Some people may consider this B&B quirky (actually it is a small hotel with at least seven rooms), but I think it presents poor quality for the 130 euros/night per single room. Frankly, one cannot charge these prices in Paris, London, or New York for such quality. So I find it difficult to understand how they get away with it in Bordeaux.

The general state of the building needs renovation. Rooms need to be painted and bathrooms refurbished. It is also worth pointing out that the hotel does not have an elevator. Walking up three flights of stairs presents a nuisance even without luggage. The rooms have been done on the cheap as evidenced by the presence of IKEA glasses et al.

Breakfast is included in the price. Unfortunately, it was very average. Only the baguette was fresh. The viennoiserie came out of their oven/microwave. Juice and fruit-salad were neither fresh. Since this was it, at least they should have tried to get these things right.

Finally, the hotel does not have a permanent reception desk. They send the code of the door via email and you have to find your own room, which they do not lock. So it was a wonderful surprise when I arrived at 22pm in the evening to find my room door locked. I called them and it took them 30 minutes to arrive. They put me in a different room and insisted that I changed back a few days later. While I cannot blame them that someone else apparently took my room, it does show that their system is flawed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank b12346

Reviewed 28 August 2013

A very convenient and central location. Huge rooms with very good amenities. Good standard of furnishings and lovely decor. A really good breakfast. The staff were really friendly and welcoming.
We would definitely recommend this for a Bed & Breakfast experience with a difference.

Room Tip: It's a bit difficult to get a really heavy suitcase right the way up to the top floor unless yo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We recently stayed here with a group of friends and this was last minute due to cancellation of our train, this hotel made our stay in Bordeaux. It is perfectly placed for eating out and shopping in a lovely french street. The staff were very lovely and nothing was a problem. Breakfast was served in a delightful room and all was very pleasant. We would love to go back with our family.

Room Tip: We had the apartment at the very top of the building which was fine for us, but would be difficult f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We visited Bordeaux middle of July, where temperatures were above 30 degrees C, so we looked for a hotel with Airconditioning in the rooms. Chambre En Ville advertises that the rooms are with a/c. so this was an easy pick. However, when we came to the hotel and checked in we found out that there was no a/c, despite the promises. In a city that often has very high temperatures, it is simply not acceptable to promise a/c and then not have it. The staff just smiled and said they were sorry!
Moreover, in the morning we found out that we should have ordered the breakfast already when making the room reservation, - so no breakfast at the hotel that morning.
Conclusion: Do not choose this hotel during the summertime.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel during the summertime, - only winther time where a/c is not needed.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jorn M
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I booked a room in this hotel because it was in a convenient location. When I got there, I had to lug my suitcase up 3 flights of stairs. The person who was in reception didn't offer any help.
On the first day, the cleaning wasn't done and on the second day it was partially done! They also didn't change the towels and blamed us for not having asked for it! There was no sign anywhere which said we had to beg for clean linen! The owner was condescending when we raised the subject! There aren't any duvets on the beds, just a topsheet and a bedspread and you have to take out old blankets from the cupboard if you're cold.The breakfast croissants and baguette weren't always the freshest! I paid 393€ for 3 nights and I think our stay wasn't worth half of that!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I stayed in the Grand Suite with my girlfriend and 2 of her friends. It is a lovely and really nicely decorated hotel. It's not styled like a chain hotel but it fits perfectly with the image of the city. Parking was free in a secure car park around the corner and breakfast was really nice. The staff were really helpful with recommendations of things to see around the neighborhood. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I went to a lot of trouble to book this B and B, we would normally stay in a Hotel but this looked like it would have some character and it did. It is in an old building close to the centre of town so perfect for sightseeing , shopping etc. Probably best described as shabby chic, we were in the Grand Suite, a lovely large room, paneled walls and high ceilings, wooden floors and shutters, and fireplace,this room had large windows overlooking the street and a balcony, there was also a separate double bedroom overlooking a lightwell. The furnishings were disappointing for the price of the room, plenty of well worn ikea purchases.The young staff who served you at breakfast were very friendly and the food was adequate. The biggest down side is the noise at night from the street below, it is very narrow and so it sounds like the voices are in the room with you, especially the Friday and Saturday early hours revellers! this had been noted by previous trip advisers,reference the earplugs provided! please do not underestimate this as I did.The rear bedroom was fine but very dark and no view. Overall this place could be superb with some care and attention, and as long as you expect the shabby, and do not need a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family