“It was a real pleasure to stay at The Regent!”

InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel
Ranked #8 of 175 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My husband and I recently went to France to visit our daughter who is living in Bordeaux. We had checked into a hotel around the corner from The Regent, and it was absolutely horrible!! After one night, we walked over to the Regent where we were greeted by a warm and welcoming staff. We inquired about a room, which they happily showed us and checked in immediately. We have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world, and this one rates at the top of our list. The chief concierge, Bastien Lalanne, was top drawer! He was friendly, kind, knowledgeable, and accommodating. He saw to our every need personally. Every member the staff, from the door man to the housekeeping staff, was equally friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed in a deluxe room, and it was beautiful, spacious, clean and well appointed. They had a Nespresso machine for delicious espresso, plus tea and chocolates. The room was so quiet and comfortable. The petit dejeuner, which was served in the restaurant off the lobby, was spectacular. We highly recommend The Regent Grand Hotel. It's worth every penny/euro!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kashes

Reviewed 14 February 2010

clean, beautiful hotel, nice location. Service was friendly and accommodating. great concierge.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We had the pleasure of staying for 3 nights in the Regent Bordeaux at the end of August last year. I am a member of the Goldpoints plus, the loyalty card scheme for the Carlson Hotels group which the Regent is a member. The company I work for also has a corporate rate with Carlson but unfortunately I was not able to get a corporate rate at the time of booking. I contacted the hotel and they agreed to include breakfast in the rate I was quoted on line which I was pleased about.

I highly recommend this hotel. We had no problems checking in, everything was very efficient and we found all staff to be welcoming, friendly and very helpful. The valet parking was very welcome on arrival having navigated Bordeaux streets and one way systems. Anything we ask for arrived promptly with a smile.

We were given a room upgrade and it was a beautiful room, decorated in classic French style with a large marble bathroom. We found complementary canapés in our room on arrival and we were given a complementary bottle of water each day and Valrhona chocolates on our pillow each night.

Breakfast was excellent with an amazing choice on the buffet. My husband had the made to order waffles one morning and was content for the day!! We had dinner on the terrace two nights, the food was excellent - I still remember the gazpacho soup I had for a starter - it was definitely the best I have ever tasted!

The location is the best in town and Bordeaux is a very beautiful town. It was our second visit, the last time we were there the hotel was being renovated and they were in the process of installing the tram system. The hotel is also a great base to visit all the wonderful wine regions and vineyards and taste all the amazing wines.

We had dinner in the La Brassiere Bordelaise on the Saturday night which is a short walk from the hotel. I would also highly recommend this restaurant, the food is excellent as is the service and wine list and it has a great atmosphere, full of locals and tourists.

The only drawback about the hotel is the cost of drinks in the bar. I cannot remember exactly how much but I know it was very expensive as a result the bar was empty all the time which is a real shame.

Apart from that, we had a wonderful stay and I cannot wait to return.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Regent in October 2009 and wasn't disappointed. I run a cycling tour company and used to avoid Bordeaux (and its dreary hotels) like the plague. The Regent was a wonderful surprise and brings an almost NY Plaza-like quality to the city. The hotel isn't just in the city center, it IS the city center located right across from the opera house. I've read some negative comments about the rooms and service and couldn't disagree more. My room was large, bright, and very comfortable. The bathroom was quite a surprise - large, with a shower, and well-appointed. French service can be a little snotty, especially in expensive hotels, but I was pleasantly surprised that the staff were young, bilingual, and friendly. I was thrilled with my stay and quickly booked 45 rooms for our July 2010 Tour de France trips. But don't stay here if you're traveling on a budget. One drawback: a ridiculously expensive 30 euro breakfast. When will the French learn to include breakfast with your room rate? Otherwise, I highly recommend the Regent.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Spyns
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This hotel is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for;
Fabulous Central Location - Grandeur - Attention To Detail - Cleanliness -(rooms are attended to twice a day)! - Excellent Food - Friendly Staff!
This may be a bit more than most people would want to pay, but it is everything you need, and want in a hotel if you want to make your stay a little bit special!!
After having stayed in many other hotels over the years, this one is definetly in my top two!
There is a luxury pool and spa due to be completed in 2010, on the 4th and 5th floors which will be the icing on the cake - I would happily go back!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debby0102
Reviewed 31 December 2009

Finally getting around to writing reviews from my September trip to France and Italy. The Regent needs some help. As others have mentioned, the location is terrific. Very centrally located. It is a block from the tourist office (which has many excellent tours of the vineyards - I did the Sauternes tour and LOVED it), across from the opera house, and within a very easy walk of the waterfront (which is a great place to go running).

The rooms themselves - as others have mentioned - are dark and I don't really care for the decor of the hotel at all. I don't doubt that a lot of money was spent on it, but it is just so ugly. I never call anything ugly, but the decor of this hotel is pretty ugly. They also had these diffusers in the lobby which gave off this awful scent, but maybe I am just sensitive because I have allergies. On the upside, it is very clean and modern. Everything works and the bathrooms are quite nice.

The true failing of this hotel is the service. I am not even really sure where to begin. The front desk needs to be staffed with more than one person in the evening. I am not even kidding when I say that it took us an hour and half to check out. My companion and I constantly had long waits whenever we needed to speak to someone at the front desk, and so we decided to check out the night before. The man at the front desk did not know how to split the bill evenly between two credit cards. First he told us the hotel did not allow this and then in the middle of checking us out he kept stopping to help other guests. That plus there was a mistake on the bill - my companion had ordered a fruit salad one day from room service. They brought her two apples and charged her $6USD for each. Needless to say she was not happy and the front desk was unwilling to help with this issue. She paid the 12 for the two apples just to get away from the front desk.

The concierge also seemed to be extremely unhelpful, but maybe it is just because they are not particularly well connected or just too lazy. They repeatedly told us that it is not possible to visit the grand cru, but alas our concierge at the Le Meurice in Paris got us in to Margaux. I had also asked them to make a reservation for us at La Tupina (not worth it) and the request went without a response, so I made my own reservation.

At the end of the day the Regent is kind of the only game in town, and at $270 USD per night it is probably worth it, but for anything more than that it probably isn't. We had the privilege to have dinner one evening with a top wine distributor in Bordeaux and he tells all of his higher end clients to stay at the Caudalie place in a neighboring town. He told us that service at the Regent has continually been a problem. If I were to go back to Bordaux I might look for another place to stay, but if you go there just don't expect a five star property and you will be fine. Overall Bordeaux is an amazing city and don't let these reviews scare you from going.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2009

We booked our stay @ the Regent solely because it was listed in Traveler Magazine's "Hot" list. and was really the only legitimate "luxury" hotel option in Bordeaux, and is a very special place, indeed. You simply cannot beat the location: smack-dab in the center of the city, across the square from the Grand Theatre.

We booked ourselves into a Standard room, and while it -was- on the smaller side, it seemed more "intitmate" than "claustrophobic." The Jacques Garcia-designed interiors are simply stunning, Our room was designed to evoke a dressing room in the Grand Theatre, with walls draped in fabric. The room's floors were hardwood, rather than carpeted, but because the walls are actually padded, this does not make the room 'cold'.

While the athrooms were well-designed, the tubs are fairly deep - so getting in and out of the shower was a bit awkward. Thankfully, the Regent has installed actual shower heads, rather than those hand-held contraptions, so there was minimal risk of getting water all over the marble floors.

The hotel's staff was very friendly and helpful, taking the time to guide us through the common areas before showing us to our rooms. We didn't dine in the hotel restaurants, instead opting for local favorites - which the staff was more than willing to direct us to.

If you want to stay in a hotel which is truly "grand" in the most theatrical of terms, you can't do better than the Regent.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple