“Still dreaming of the Regent......”

InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 177 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed 15 May 2010

We stayed in the Regent for five nights in a de Luxe room. Though it looked down into the ground floor bar area through a glass roof, there was plenty of light and no noise. The room was really spacious and attended twice a day - bathroom items, coffee etc topped up pronto. The bed was amazingly comfortable, with beautiful white linen which was completely changed daily [including duvet cover]. The bathroom was spacious, with fluffy towels, dressing gowns and slippers provided. The service throughout the hotel was wonderful - the staff friendly and efficient without exception. The hotel itself is stunning, with spacious public rooms, and always a seat to watch the world go by from!

The hotel is situated right opposite the Opera House and in the very heart of old [but renovated] Bordeaux. Coming from the airport by Jet bus, they let you off at Place Quinconces, which is only a few yards from the hotel. There are many good restaurants in the area, including Place du Parlement and Place C Julian - also all along the nearby side roads. We particularly enjoyed the Brasserie Bordeaux in Rue Remi - traditional French cooking, and Le Petit Commerce, 22 Rue du Parlement - mainly fish, and so fresh! The restaurant inside the Opera House is very pleasant, too - worth going in for an aperitif if nothing else! There are some 'tourist traps' restaurants, too, so look around!

If you like Opera and/or Classical Music do check out the Bordeaux Opera website. Worth booking tickets ahead! We saw Jenufa, which was a superb production. There was also free concerts during the day, as a competition for quartets was underway. Again, worth checking out. Several of the churches provide venues for evening concerts, as well.

Bordeuax does seem to be fairly run-down once you move from the centre, so it is worth staying in the heart of the town, even if the hotels might be more expensive. However, we booked Regent Grand earlier in the year when there was a 20% discount offer on. We feel we received excellent value in every way at a reasonable cost.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,586)

Reviewed 6 May 2010

Clean, beautiful hotel, nice location. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The breakfast was pricey but so delicious!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2010

My husband and I recently went to France to visit our daughter who is living in Bordeaux. We had checked into a hotel around the corner from The Regent, and it was absolutely horrible!! After one night, we walked over to the Regent where we were greeted by a warm and welcoming staff. We inquired about a room, which they happily showed us and checked in immediately. We have stayed in a lot of hotels all over the world, and this one rates at the top of our list. The chief concierge, Bastien Lalanne, was top drawer! He was friendly, kind, knowledgeable, and accommodating. He saw to our every need personally. Every member the staff, from the door man to the housekeeping staff, was equally friendly, helpful and accommodating. We stayed in a deluxe room, and it was beautiful, spacious, clean and well appointed. They had a Nespresso machine for delicious espresso, plus tea and chocolates. The room was so quiet and comfortable. The petit dejeuner, which was served in the restaurant off the lobby, was spectacular. We highly recommend The Regent Grand Hotel. It's worth every penny/euro!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kashes
Reviewed 14 February 2010

clean, beautiful hotel, nice location. Service was friendly and accommodating. great concierge.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2010

We had the pleasure of staying for 3 nights in the Regent Bordeaux at the end of August last year. I am a member of the Goldpoints plus, the loyalty card scheme for the Carlson Hotels group which the Regent is a member. The company I work for also has a corporate rate with Carlson but unfortunately I was not able to get a corporate rate at the time of booking. I contacted the hotel and they agreed to include breakfast in the rate I was quoted on line which I was pleased about.

I highly recommend this hotel. We had no problems checking in, everything was very efficient and we found all staff to be welcoming, friendly and very helpful. The valet parking was very welcome on arrival having navigated Bordeaux streets and one way systems. Anything we ask for arrived promptly with a smile.

We were given a room upgrade and it was a beautiful room, decorated in classic French style with a large marble bathroom. We found complementary canapés in our room on arrival and we were given a complementary bottle of water each day and Valrhona chocolates on our pillow each night.

Breakfast was excellent with an amazing choice on the buffet. My husband had the made to order waffles one morning and was content for the day!! We had dinner on the terrace two nights, the food was excellent - I still remember the gazpacho soup I had for a starter - it was definitely the best I have ever tasted!

The location is the best in town and Bordeaux is a very beautiful town. It was our second visit, the last time we were there the hotel was being renovated and they were in the process of installing the tram system. The hotel is also a great base to visit all the wonderful wine regions and vineyards and taste all the amazing wines.

We had dinner in the La Brassiere Bordelaise on the Saturday night which is a short walk from the hotel. I would also highly recommend this restaurant, the food is excellent as is the service and wine list and it has a great atmosphere, full of locals and tourists.

The only drawback about the hotel is the cost of drinks in the bar. I cannot remember exactly how much but I know it was very expensive as a result the bar was empty all the time which is a real shame.

Apart from that, we had a wonderful stay and I cannot wait to return.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Regent in October 2009 and wasn't disappointed. I run a cycling tour company and used to avoid Bordeaux (and its dreary hotels) like the plague. The Regent was a wonderful surprise and brings an almost NY Plaza-like quality to the city. The hotel isn't just in the city center, it IS the city center located right across from the opera house. I've read some negative comments about the rooms and service and couldn't disagree more. My room was large, bright, and very comfortable. The bathroom was quite a surprise - large, with a shower, and well-appointed. French service can be a little snotty, especially in expensive hotels, but I was pleasantly surprised that the staff were young, bilingual, and friendly. I was thrilled with my stay and quickly booked 45 rooms for our July 2010 Tour de France trips. But don't stay here if you're traveling on a budget. One drawback: a ridiculously expensive 30 euro breakfast. When will the French learn to include breakfast with your room rate? Otherwise, I highly recommend the Regent.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Spyns
Reviewed 3 January 2010

This hotel is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for;
Fabulous Central Location - Grandeur - Attention To Detail - Cleanliness -(rooms are attended to twice a day)! - Excellent Food - Friendly Staff!
This may be a bit more than most people would want to pay, but it is everything you need, and want in a hotel if you want to make your stay a little bit special!!
After having stayed in many other hotels over the years, this one is definetly in my top two!
There is a luxury pool and spa due to be completed in 2010, on the 4th and 5th floors which will be the icing on the cake - I would happily go back!!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple