“It was delicious and homely”
Review of POSITANO

Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Rue Sainte-Catherine
England
“It was delicious and homely”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I don't like pizza that much but as my partner and his mum chose pizza I followed suit and I was not disappointed it was delicious.
Even though I was full i could not resist the beautiful tiramisu.
Do call in and enjoy!

• Visited October 2013

Tocane Saint-Apre, France
“I blame the hyperbole of my TripAdvisor colleagues, which led us to expect something exceptional”
Reviewed 8 February 2013

Enthused by the comments on TripAdvisor, we booked for 12.30 yesterday and found the restaurant easily. It is just a minute’s walk round the corner from the “Ste Catherine” tram stop. We knew the aspect would be homely. It was. Very. Like a set from the 60s. There was an unpleasant smell of cleaning fluid as we entered, but it didn’t bother us for long. There were just 2 or 3 other small tables occupied by 1-3 diners each. Outside, it was a brilliant February day. It is a shame that in the narrow street, flanked by tall houses, little light or sun penetrates the interior gloom, but we were not cold for long, either. The menu was printed (not planning to change much, then?) – and there were some spelling mistakes. Prices were about 16 euros for a main, and average 10-12 for an antipasto, pasta or pizza. All à la carte, lunch no cheaper than dinner. This is not unusual in Italy, but it is unusual in France. Wishing to sample the wonderful home cooking, we planned a different starter & main each. R chose the saltimbocca, I ordered the bocconcini of veal in a mozzarella sauce. I wanted to try the hot aubergine & tomato penne and R planned to have another pasta dish, but the charming waitress advised us against this. We would be getting plain penne with our mains, and it would be too much. She advised that we share an antipasto instead. This was very kind and helpful but we didn’t make a good choice. We thought the 9 euro porchetta would be substantial slices of young roast pork. It turned out to be nearly wafer-thin slices of herby ham. Maybe it didn’t come from a packet, but it looked as if it had, and just came with a very small helping of little gherkins & white onions straight out of a jar, and perfectly ordinary French bread. R enjoyed his saltimbocca, I thought my dish was all right but not that interesting. The penne were past the al dente stage and could have been hotter on arrival. R got a tiny dish of bog-standard grated parmesan – shavings off a block would have been more impressive.
Wishing to give another chance to what now seemed to us like a very average meal at above-average prices in below-average surroundings, we decided to have a pudding – not part of our original plan. I ordered a café gourmand which came with a generous portion of very good Tiramisu and two other small tastings. R had a praline tart with his espresso, which I found delicious. We also had a half litre carafe of house red, which was OK. Maybe we should just have had a pizza. These were being prepared by a young man who may have been Italian; the waitress seemed entirely French to us. The bill came to around 68 euros. It’s as difficult to get an entirely excellent meal in Italy as it is in France for that amount these days, but not impossible. We’ll try somewhere else next time we’re in Bordeaux. I blame the hyperbole of my TripAdvisor colleagues, which led us to expect something exceptional.

• Visited February 2013
Victoria, BC
“Best food in Bordeaux”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

In the last week of our visit to Bordeaux we found this Italian resteraunt. The food was AMAZING!!!
We went twice in one week and everything we ordered was simply fantastic. This is a small family run resteraunt and the owners take much pride in what they do. All 4 of us consider ourselves as foodies, we are cultured in gastronomy and this was the best resteraunt we ate at in Bordeaux.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank jillserf
Bordeaux, France
“generous, homely italian food”
Reviewed 9 January 2012

really delicious food and lovely selection. friendly waitress but slow service.

• Visited December 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Great little Italian restaurant”
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My wife and I found this to be a very nice experience. Food was fantastic. We had a pizza and pasta, both very generous serves, with a nice sangiovese. Excellent value and very friendly service.

Would happily recommend to anyone looking for Italian in Bordeaux.

• Visited October 2011