“Awesome hostel and Great Value”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Biarritz
Surf Hostel Bed & Breakfast
Linköping, Östergötlands Län, Sweden
“Awesome hostel and Great Value”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

We decided to stay here rather than renting a flat. It was a great choice! it was a awesome hostel with heaps of room. really cool surfer theme and amazing hosts. we where here for 4 days and if it wasnt for Jono's local knowledge we would have only seen a fraction of what we did. He pointed us in the right direction of some local hot spots and really nice surf beaches. Being the first guests of the season we had the entire Hostel to our self for the first 3 nights!. The aromas of Jonos awesome breakfast was great motivation to get up grind some good eats and get the day started right. what more can you ask for. Local knowledge, bikes, breaky,wifi and surfboards. They even had some wetsuits for the cooler spring waters. Great job we will be back and will recommend to fellow travelers. keep up the good work.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This was truly one of the greatest travel experiences of my life and it is all because of the guys that operate Surf Hostel Biarritz. Jono and Andrey are two of the nicest, most down to earth and sincere guys I have ever met in my life. At first I was worried that I might have booked myself into a house full of surfer 'brahs' but it ended up being very down to earth and friendly and by the end of the trip I did not want to leave. If I ever go back to Biarritz it will only be to stay here!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank A T
Cork
Reviewed 21 September 2012

My friend and I had a fantastic 5 nights in Surf Hostel Biarritz. Lovely staff, comfy beds in our own private room and a different cooked breakfast every morning. Also free use of bikes, boards and wetsuits. Bit of a walk from the centre of Biarritz (20mins) but as long as you're prepared for that it's great. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2012

One of the worst stays I've had in a while. On arrival we were put in the wrong room. After someone tried to get into our room a number of times- we went downstairs to check whether something was wrong. Initially we were told no, until someone tried again to get into our room. We went downstairs again and were moved into a different room. Not the best start! We stayed in the yellow room which had an uncomfortable bed which was bent right down the middle. The room wasn't well cleaned. Nor were either of the bathrooms- the one downstairs in particular was very dirty. The hostel is a good 20 to 25 minute walk away from the beach and restaurants and is not in a particularly nice area of Biarritz. The "full English breakfast" turned out to be an omelette. In all- this is not value for money. There are cheaper, cleaner places to stay closer to the beach.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Toast27
Jono-Surf-Hostel-64, Manager at Surf Hostel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Hello Toast 27

I would like to thank you for your sincere review, which I have taken into serious consideration.

First of all, I would like to apologize getting off to the wrong foot with you by offering the wrong room.

I have also considered the rest of your review, thank you for bringing these issues to my attention.

I have not had any complaints so far about comfort of beds, however I will look into replacing the bed you mentioned should need be.

I also apologize if cleanliness was not up to your standards, the hostel is cleaned daily and thoroughly around midday. However, I am now aware that with guests coming in after a day's outing in the afternoon and evening can create a less comfortable and clean environment. I will now include an evening clean in the day to day running of the hostel.

As you said, the hostel is situated 20 minutes by foot to both beaches, Grand Plage & Cote de Basques. We are also located exactly half way between beach and airport.
We do offer free bikes included with your stay and we provide information for a free public transport system throughout the town centre. I personally think its a reasonable distant however I consider your view more important and we will now offer a free daily shuttle service to the beach.

I am especially sorry if you were disappointed with breakfast! As a experienced chef de cuisine I take great pride in my kitchen however I would like to mention that I do not and have never advertised a "full english breakfast"!!! The reason being I know the availability of "english" products such as bacon, baked beans, hash browns, hp sauce etc. are virtually non-existant in france and it would be sacrilege to recreate the "best of the british" with euro-ingredients. This is what I offer instead everyday:

- tea/coffee/hot choco/fruit juice
- toast/cereal/croissants/pastries/jams/nutella etc.
- selection of a least 4+ fruit
- a cooked breakfast (for example - cheese/ham/mushroom/tomato omlettes, stuffed mushrooms, eggs benedict, breakfast samosas, stuffed tortillas etc) all of which is home made and cooked fresh.

I apologize if there was any mis-communication on our part.

I would also like to break down our price in case of any misunderstanding. We offered you in 2012:

Bed + Breakfast + Bike Hire + Surf Board Hire for 35€ p/p all inclusive

Cheapest alternative: Hostel International Biarritz 27.50€ (45 mins to beach by foot)
Cheapest Breakfast: Supermarché 5€
Cheapest Bike Hire: 10€+ per day
Cheapest Surf Board Hire: 15€+ per day

Total 57.50€ (Cheapest alternative)

For poor value for money, unfortunately I think we have to agree to disagree!

However, my point is not to discredit your poor review of us, less your unsatisfying experience.

I would simply like to apologize, thank you for pointing out room for improvement as we try our hardest to see to it that every guest is more than happy with us and ask if there's anything I can do to help rectify our problem.

Please feel free to contact me at surfhostelbiarritz@gmail.com

Many thanks

Jono
Host & Manger
Surf Hostel Biarritz
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Stayed in the owners additional apartment in bidart ( 1st ones to use it) this is a fantastic addition when it fully opens in April 2012

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Philsurfboy
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

took a trip to Biarritz September 2011 with 2 friends not really knowing what to expect..... turned out to be an fantastic find. The staff are 100% top class! This is the only hostel i know of that cooks you up a mighty breakfast. in the morning! Biarritz is now my top destination in France the the coast is fantastic, the chilled out French cafe lifestyle and surfing make Biarritz the best surfing location in Europe. Plus it gets pretty consistent swell! to top that all off is Biarritz surf hostel is there Bed breakfast and surfboard all for around 30euro a night. what more could you ask for sun surf and class accommodation cant wait to head back next year.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Euan A
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I arrived in Biarritz by myself, with no real idea of how long I was going to stay. Never having traveled solo, I wasn't really sure what to expect. However, when I walked in the doors I was welcomed just like one of the family. Everyone (staff and other travelers) were so friendly that it was almost like living in a really fun group house. I ended up staying 6 days! The rooms were nice, everything was really clean, and the staff (especially Shosh, Gareth, Jono, and Audrey) were so friendly and accommodating! Plus, with a tasty breakfast, free boards, wetsuits, and bikes all included... what more could you want?! This is a no brainer- if you're in Biarritz, stay here!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo