“Very deceptive bar service”
Review of Le Royalty

Le Royalty
Ranked #263 of 348 Restaurants in Biarritz
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Very deceptive bar service”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I visited this outlet on 25th August 2013 with my wife and two friends for a drink after we had eaten dinner elsewhere. We were attracted by the live music that we heard. I ordered an Armagnac and when the bill arrived I was astonished to see that the cost for my drink alone was €20 . One of our friends speaks French fluently and approached the waiter; I was even more astonished to find out that it is "management policy" to charge for expensive options if a client is not "specific" when ordering. Given that I was not offered a drinks menu from which to choose, I was not happy with this response. My friend then approached the manager; his response was even more annoying - he did not understand why I was unhappy as "the waiter could have offered an even more expensive Armagnac" than the one served. Unbelievable arrogance - give this place a miss !!!!!

1 Thank Andrew O

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
“Overpriced, they will try to trick you!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We had dinner with colleagues, and I order duck confit. I was asked by the waiter whether I wanted mushroom sauce or onion sauce with my duck. At the bill I was charged an extra 5 dollars for the sauce, not mentioned in the menu off course. We asked for separate receipts, as these expenses were covered by our employers and we had to fill separate claims, the waiter looked annoyed. Bottled water was charged 5.10 per 50cl. Keep off! I hope next time I will be around they are under new management. At least it's nice to see people walking by and food in terms of taste was acceptable, but not worth the money.

2 Thank KNG2013
Beachwood, Ohio
“Poor choice for dinner”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I am an overseas tourist but speak French and ordered a sole menieure requesting that the waiter remove the bones from the fish. He said this would be no problem. When the food was served the bones had not been removed. It was served by another waiter or bus boy who said he would tell the waiter the bones needed to be removed. The waiter walked passed my table several times and kept saying 'right away' --- but right away turned into ten minutes. The owner or manager walked by several times and was totally oblivious to my calls. He seemed to have a certain following of regular guests and focused his attention on them . By the time the waiter finally returned and removed the bones my food was stone cold. The boiled potates were hard as a rock inside. When I complained another plate of potatoes was brought out. Equally unappetizing. The service was slow in all respects which didn't trouble me too much since it was raining and I was in no hurry to leave. The attitude of the waiter and owner was one of total disconcern and disregard. I was extremely disapointed with the taste of the food and the service. The outside ambiance is all this restaurant has to offer, but that is offset by the poor service. They have some musical entertainment which is mediocre at best. It was a singer singing along with pre-recorded music. With competition abounding in Biarritz, I'll go elsewhere the next time. There are many other choices.

Bordeaux, France
“Worst service in Biarritz and possibly in the entire region”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

On a trip to Biarritz we went for a quick lunch on what seemed a nice terrace. The staff here combine an unique blend of lack of interest and rudeness. It took them 15 minutes and several times asking after ordering, to bring some drinks. We had to ask another five times before we could get some water, helas without glasses. We had ordered their menu of the day wich was supposed to start with some cold cuts of meat. Some 45 minutes later we managed to get a waiter to approach our table after him successfully ducking our earlier attempts to get his attention. What was our problem? Well we were not planning on spending Christmas here so we would like some food. When after an hour on the terrace we managed to get another waiters attention.He asked us if we would like to order something. That was our call to leave and never come back here again. From the uninterested and uninspired reaction of the waiter we concluded that he was more than used to this.
After our experience in the Royalty we understood better why France decapitated their King. We indeed were treated like Royalty but in a very revolutionary way. Never again we will set foot in this place again!

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank Latresne-Bordeaux
Sydney Australia
“Happy with our meal”
Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

We just ate here tonight and we were quite happy with our meal. Sometimes it's better not to read reviews before you go. We only went in as we could not get into le Pim'pi. We had no reservation and we were promptly told no. It was raining so we popped in to le royalty.The waiter was really efficient and made sure everything was fine. He spoke perfect English. I ordered fillet of beef medium to well done. Hubby had the rack of lamb. We actually swapped the meat as my beef was too raw and his lamb was just the way I like my meat. The clever waiter spotted this when he picked up our plates and was quite concerned that I had not eaten my beef. I didn't want to send mine back so we swapped. He remembered what I had ordered. I was impressed. Buns were nice and warm. Dessert was yummy and a bit expensive. The place was packed when we left. Maybe we got there on a good night judging by all the negative reviews.