“Fine for overnight”

Grand Tonic Hotel Biarritz
Ranked #43 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way through to Spain. It claims to be a four star but I would say it is more like a three star. The rooms were very clean and the beds very comfortable. We had a room overlooking the street which I expected to be very noisy but they have very good windows so was not a problem. We didnt stay for breakfast so I cant comment on that. We had dinner at La Pizzeria - La Trattoria which is literally three minute walk from the hotel and I would highly recommend this restaurant.

There are newer reviews for Grand Tonic Hotel Biarritz

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Everything else was booked up so we took a small, overpriced and uninspired small room at this mediocre hotel. Service was uneven--sometimes the front desk was helpful, sometimes not so much, and sometimes downright grumpy. Didn't try the breakfast--better options nearby (especially near the market). The hotel is one block back from the main beach--very short walk--but not on the beach and no ocean view. Surfing is about the only reason I can think of to visit Biarritz. Don't go here to shop or to see great 1940's resort architecture (we did, oops). The retail is mostly awful by French standards--tacky and overpriced. And the city is visually unremarkable. There is good food to be had--but that is true just about everywhere in France.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank onthebusagain
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Just returned from the Grand Tonic hotel in Biarittz. The hotel has a four star rating but I think it's more like a three star. It's okay and served the purpose for our short trip. The bed was comfortable, the pillars were okay. The bathroom and room were clean. The location was good with a short walk to the beach and town centre. The buses were close by with an excellent service from and to the train station and only costs €1. There's not much else I can say other than it was adequate for a couple of nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Debrahis
Reviewed 22 July 2013

It was superb for American standards. We are travelers from New York and used to steep prices for not much substance. On a low note, rooms were warm because the AC was slightly inefficient. On a High note very cleanly, friendly Staff, large room. We did not eat at the restaurant, but it looked yummy.
Highly recommended to any traveler!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013 via mobile

I love this little hotel right in the heart of Biarritz. I stay here regularly on business travel. My second time this year. The rooms are nice, not extravagant, and the beds are comfortable. 1 block from the beach, and many nice restaurants close. Staff is friendly. Restaurant is very good.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank M R
Reviewed 21 June 2013

4+ ? Extractor fan still not working four days after we complained. No internet connection and no refund. Staff really unhelpful and aloof AND mini bar not replenished. Reception just not interested. BAD VALUE and no tea making facilities

1  Thank cainem
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We had a lovely stay in The Grand Tonic Hotel in Biarritz. After a dull day where we walked all of Biarritz - along the prom to the old fishing port and back through town - with a stop for a real hot chocolate in Miremont (founded in 1872 - the real thing) delicious! Back at our hotel we met Gaeton the Maitre d' who showed us the menu and prepared a perfect Piña Colada for me and a Gin and Tonic for my husband while we made our decisions for dinner. Decisions made and drinks drunk we retired to our room for a spa bath to refresh us further for the food ahead. We were not disappointed. To start my husband had the charcuterie plate and I had a salad of tomatoes (which the chef had gone to the bother of peeling!) with asparagus and smoked anchovies and tiny squares of goats cheese totally delicious - especially if you share! For mains my husband had the Saltimbocca de Lapin (rabbit ) and I had the Poisson Jour (scallops on a bed of leeks) Perfectly cooked. Cheese to follow with a plum conserve and to finish a chocolate plate - just gorgeous.

All iof that washed down with Bordeaux Chateau Seguin. I did have a glass of Seguin Sauvignon blanc with my scallops and it was perfect.
Great hotel to stay in, very central, and a great restaurant. We did meet the chef after the dinner and congratulated him on his food.

1  Thank tslips