“It's like being on a movie set!!”

Le Chateau du Clair de Lune
Ranked #22 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
ACT. Australia
“It's like being on a movie set!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Picture this....turning into a wide gravelled drive way....tyres crunching the pebbles as you slowly drive down the long drive surrounded by lush green manicured lawns....massive old tree's.....to then find yourself in front of a real life 19th century French chateau! It's the stuff of movies and novels!

We don't have such grandeur or architecture of this type in Australia and needless to say we were feeling very privileged.

The story doesn't end there. We are then greeted by a lovely lady who was warm and welcoming. We were shown the Chateau and to our lovely room.

The lounge area looked out to a delightful terrace and onto the gardens and a lovely water feature. It is impeccably furnished with tasteful furniture which perfectly suited the atmosphere and Chateau. The breakfast room is beautiful and all I could think of was how it would be perfect for holding perfect dinner parties and how it would have seen some amazing occasions throughout the years.

The rooms (we stayed in 2 types as we liked it so much we extended but as the first room we stayed in was already booked we moved), were both wonderful. They suited what I had envisaged that they would look like, ie; French provincial and somewhat period French countryside "Chateau" like.

The bathrooms are all of a good size as are the bedrooms. They are all immaculate, with spotless bathrooms. The first room we were in looked like it had a newly renovated bathroom. Bed linen is crisp and white, and beds are comfortable.

We had the continental breakfast as we just had to eat in that room!! It was basic, but more than fine! Fresh pastries, fresh crunchy baguettes, fruit salad, cereal, juice, tea or coffee, and yoghurt. For me the yoghurt was the highlight. It was very good!

Le Chateau du Clair du Lune, in my opinion, delivers on accommodation, service, and the whole young girl dream of Chateau's in the French countryside, knights on white stallions, etc etc

Don't get me wrong though, while I may sound like I am seeing all this through the bedazzled eyes of a dreamer, I am also fussy and a clean freak, who doesn't necessarily like antiques. And of course, there are also grander places to stay in. There will always be bigger and better.

However, this place is fantastic on so many levels. Its not perfect, but those imperfections are minor compared to the experience. And this is the type of place you come to for an experience. Nothing and no one is perfect, and those who want perfection in a hotel will never find it....not unless they are paying a whole lot more. Speaking of which, the cost of Chateau Clair de Lune is amazing! I'm still amazed at how well priced it is for the excellent quality.

So to end my story of French whimsical day dreams of Chateau's, rolling estates, beautiful gowns, nobility, and all that jazz, I say, if you are looking for a Chateau that will help you step back into a moment of time (with the convenience of a flushing toilet)(as there are some things we don't miss of days gone by), then this is the place to do it!

Thanks for a great couple of days in your lovely home!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indi-Indianna
Jean D, Directeur général at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 28 November 2015
Dear guest, this is the kind of feedback every hotel would dream to receive. We trully agree with you that everything is not perfect but as you wrote it, we are working on having a good ratio quality/price so that most of hotel guest can afford to stay with us. I am very glad you had a great experience while staying with us. I can assure you that all our efforts are made into our guest having the best experience ever. We are always trying to make the guest feel like if they were home: here is our main goal. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back to Biarritz and that you will choose our hotel to enjoy your time in our beautifull area. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Warm regards, Jean D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
london
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

A wedding is planned well ahead in order to avoid last minutes issues and I must say ours was flawless.
Jean and his team did a fabulous job in accompanying us in this process. We had all the rooms booked for 2 days and the main, the whole castle was ours and all of our 180 guest came back saying it's the best wedding they have ever been to. They helped us select the local caterers or suppliers we needed and I would also recommend every single one of them. I must say management was very accomodating as we had an amazing celebration, some of us did not sleep and stayed around the pool area until the guest started to arrive again for what was the best pool party ever.. All ages guest kept saying how beautiful the park and pool area are and how amazing the setting was.
The accommodation overlooking the park and mountain are of great quality. It's within very easy car reach of Biarritz and at jean de Luz.
Wedding planner, book in advance as he only does 10 wedding a year to ensure best quality..
You can also go his pool lounge area one of the classiest around
Charles and Dominika

Stayed August 2013
Jean D, Owner at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Charles and Veronika,

What a great time i had when I read your comment.

I and my team are glad you all enjoyed your stay in our hotel as well as the ceremony which we all had a pleasure to participate.

We hope you will have time to pass by for a coffee with your wife this coming summer.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jean Dabadie
dublin
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were travelling with our Labrador dog and unfortunately very few hotels on the Spanish side of the frontier, the otherwise excellent Hotel Jaizquibel included, do not accept animals so we decided to try this grandly named establishment. Good decision.

The Chateau was built in about 1902 and the rooms are decorated accordingly and are lovely. The grounds cover several hectares -perfect for a fit dog to let off a bit of steam after a day's travelling in the car.

After a five hour drive we had hoped to have supper in the gourmet restaurant that is independent of the hotel, but nonetheless situated on the grounds of the Chateau, but we were advised that it was closed for a couple of months during the winter. However at Reception we were provided with a detailed list of over thirty restaurants with descriptions of the ambience, food style, price range and contact details - in itself almost worth the price of staying at the Chateau.

We selected a restaurant from the list and our friendly hostess booked our table and we had a great meal that matched the description. Perfect!
In fact so pleased were we with this service that we booked into the hotel for our return trip to Spain and this time we picked out our choice from the list, as it was Sunday night and a lot of the restaurants were closed, and another great meal. Our dog was over the moon with her run around the parkland, so we'll be back next time we´re travelling to France from Spain with her.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanls a lot for this detailed and postive comment.

Indeed we are updating an internal listing of restaurant as most of the team working in the hotel enjoy going out for diner in Biarritz and around. Therefore everyone from the team gives his feedback according to the restaurant they taste and we try to update it as often as we can.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we cannot wait the time to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,
Barcelona
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had to cancel my reservation almost 10 hours before my expected arrival, due to an urgent matter which prevented me to travel, and sent a message to the hotel advise them. I also asked them to confirm if any cancellation fee was applied. I received no answer. I sent a reminder, and what I received one hour later was a message from by bank advising that the hotel had just charged the full amount to my credit card. When I reverted to them asking if this was their implied and the facto reply to my previous unaswered queries, they start to give various excuses for their delay in replying to me, and asked me to contact the booking webpage that I has used for doing my booking. When I contacted the webpage booking I read that the cancellation policy is imposed by each hotel and not by the booking website. I contacted the hotel again and then, and only then, they told me by the first time that according to their hotel cancellation policy a three days cancellation notice was needed. Considering this experience I would warn anyone of what they may expect if they sufer an unforeseeable change of plans. They were very nice when I had contacted them before advising that we would arrive late. i could never imagine their "reaction" when I advised that I had to cancel. If they had directly and expressly replied since the first message, I would have accepted it. What it is unacceptable is that you ask and that their reply is to charge your credit card, and only after various reminders, they commence to reply.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BarcelonaTourist
Jean D, Directeur général at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks for your feedback.

The answer is going to be as simple as possible.

You made your reservation through a travel agent on internet. Like any other hotel in the world, you have a cancellation policy which can vary from 24h to 2 weeks in advance. By asking a 72 hours cancellation notice, i can assure you that we are in the average of a cancellation time.

What basically is happening when we receive a cancellation which imply a cancellation fee, we always trie to re sell the room to other client to avoid charging the credit card guest, therefore we wait a bit by hoping to find a new client to book the same room, so that in this case we inform the client that there is no cancellation fee..

By experience and i can assure you that all hotels apply the same policy, when a room is cancelled by client and that the cancellation fee apply due to policy, credit card is automatically debited if we dont manage to re sell the room. Why? First of all client is aware of cancellation policy when making a hotel reservation (worldwide practise) so it should not be a surprise to be debited. Finally and by experience, if the hotel inform the client that he is going to debit his credit card, what s happening? Client calls his bank to either block or cancel his credit card so that hotel can not debit it. I am not saying here that it is something you will have done but I can assure you that it is unfortunately what is often happening.

Thanks for your understanding.
Madrid
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is really nice, and old Chateu. The room is quite big with and old style but with modern facilities, if you are lucky even with wifi in the room.
The hotel is outside the city surronded by a gardens, and Its quite close to the beach of biarritz, 10 minutes by car.
The reception desk girl was really nice but as someone says, sometimes its not at her place.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks a lor for your feedback;

Unfortunately I did not undestand the end of your comment. Could you please be more explicit? This will help to make decisions. You can write directly on jean.dabadie@hotelclairlune.com

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

I made a last minute reservation of three rooms for my parents and our family with two kids. Three days before our arrival my father had a serious accident and could not travel. I immediately informed the hotel and cancelled only one room, although I would have liked to cancel all because we specifically chose this outdated place for my parents so they could bring their dog. The hotel charged the full amount to my credit card without my authorization stating that a week cancellation notice was required (which I did not know when making the reservation). There was hardly any personell around; there was nobody when we arrived and we had to look for at least 15 minutes on the desolated property before we encountered the first human being. The black pool looked modern with a great view, but the water was too warm to swim in and the rooms were outdated, furniture in the bathrooms broken. No airconditioning either. Maybe the unpleasant welcome overshadowed our stay, but I think that there are many better options available in Biarritz.

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for giving us this unexpected feedback.

I am always surprised in 2013 that people are not aware that hotels have cancellation policy. It is very strange to see that clients are aware of airline company policy for example but that they dont understand how hotel cancellation policy works.

As you will see in the email of confirmation you receive, you will notice that the cancellation policy is 1 week prior arrival. Indeed you will understand that by taking 3 rooms out of 17 makes almost 20% of our hotel occupancy.

We are sorry to hear you have been waiting for 15 minutes in our desolated property, but I guess again you were unable to read in the email of confirmation you receive, that check in time is 3pm, the day of arrival.

Regarding our swiming pool that reached 28°c, I am really sorry to inform you that we do not have yet an air conditioning system to cool the water but I can recommend you to flight to Dubai where all the pools are cooled so that they can reach an ideal temperature water of 28°c.

I really hope as well not to welcome you again in our property and I wish you to find a better option in Biarritz where you will find a 8 acres park property, with 28°c pool, a room for 130 euros in which you can check in in the morning..... maybe try the 5 stars "Hotel du Palais" in Biarritz!!!
Condom, France
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We visited this hotel for my birthday a few days ago and stayed two nights. The grounds and the buildings are impressive, really pretty and so is the view to the Pyrenées. There were a few things less positive though. I think that the hotel was refurbished quite a few years ago and for my feeling it is looking a bit tired, at least our bedroom because downstairs is rather beautiful. We would have loved to have had breakfast there at least once and enjoy the view to the lovely garden but the price is quite prohibitive, especially for someone like me who eats very little at breakfast so we decided to go to a restaurant by the beach and have an early lunch. Then we always ask for a quiet room but ours was at the front of the building and cars arriving and leaving make quite a bit of noise due to the gravel, so do people chatting. As the room had no airco and it was very hot we also had to sleep with the windows open. Somewhere in the grounds there seem to be one of those things that make noise with the wind. Some people like that but if it is windy all night it also gets on your nerves. The pool area has a lovely view but the pool is very narrow and has a black liner so not really very agreeable especially because due to the heat the water was very hot and not cooling at all! With such a lot of ground they could easily have built a larger pool? We have one at home and we don't have all that ground! Still..... there are nice sides to this hotel and I wouldn't want to discourage people from staying there!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet maybe a room to the back would be a better choice. We asked for one afte...