“Aristocratic hideaway”

Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Long Beach, California
“Aristocratic hideaway”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is a special place. Just outside of Biarritz (it's an easy 5-minute drive to get into town), it feels like you are out on a country estate. The 19th century castle itself is beautiful and charming, and while it shows its age a bit here and there (part of its charm), it is very well appointed. The rooms are large and comfortable with extremely high ceilings. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. That said, the staff is limited, so expect that you may have to carry your bags up the gorgeous spiral staircase to your room.

Even though the place was 3/4 full when we stayed there, it felt like we had the hotel to ourselves. Be sure to spend some time at the pool, with its gorgeous views out to the Pyrenees. The restaurant adjacent to the hotel, Arosta, is quite good, so plan on at least one dinner there.

We stayed here on a trip celebrating our tenth anniversary, and this was the most romantic and idyllic spot on our trip.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the castle itself. I'm sure the rooms in the hunter's lodge are very nice (t...
1 Thank DNE44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 21 May 2014

This place is a gem. The house and grounds are amazing. The rooms are very sumptuous. I was afraid we would be in the middle of no where, but we weren't. It is very very short drive to Biarritz or Bidart, both places with beaches and restaurants and activities. But at the Chateau you feel like you are light years away, giving you true relaxation and enjoyment. The staff is very helpful. We were greeted by a vivacious and helpful staff person, who explained in just the right amount of detail where to eat, and which villages in the region are best to visit. And she was right! This stay turned Biarritz region into one of my favorite! I would defiantly go back. Highly recommend.

Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel was easy to find but hard to leave. The gardens are fantastic and the whole atmosphere is very relaxing. The Castle has excellent furnishings and the staff are so helpful. Breakfast on the terrace was a treat. The fact that the chateau does not have a restaurant for evening meals was not a drawback as there is a good restaurant very close by.
We will go back.

Room Tip: If you are lucky to get a first floor room in the chateau overlooking the garden you will love it, a...
1 Thank John M
ACT. Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Picture this....turning into a wide gravelled drive way....tyres crunching the pebbles as you slowly drive down the long drive surrounded by lush green manicured lawns....massive old tree's.....to then find yourself in front of a real life 19th century French chateau! It's the stuff of movies and novels!

We don't have such grandeur or architecture of this type in Australia and needless to say we were feeling very privileged.

The story doesn't end there. We are then greeted by a lovely lady who was warm and welcoming. We were shown the Chateau and to our lovely room.

The lounge area looked out to a delightful terrace and onto the gardens and a lovely water feature. It is impeccably furnished with tasteful furniture which perfectly suited the atmosphere and Chateau. The breakfast room is beautiful and all I could think of was how it would be perfect for holding perfect dinner parties and how it would have seen some amazing occasions throughout the years.

The rooms (we stayed in 2 types as we liked it so much we extended but as the first room we stayed in was already booked we moved), were both wonderful. They suited what I had envisaged that they would look like, ie; French provincial and somewhat period French countryside "Chateau" like.

The bathrooms are all of a good size as are the bedrooms. They are all immaculate, with spotless bathrooms. The first room we were in looked like it had a newly renovated bathroom. Bed linen is crisp and white, and beds are comfortable.

We had the continental breakfast as we just had to eat in that room!! It was basic, but more than fine! Fresh pastries, fresh crunchy baguettes, fruit salad, cereal, juice, tea or coffee, and yoghurt. For me the yoghurt was the highlight. It was very good!

Le Chateau du Clair du Lune, in my opinion, delivers on accommodation, service, and the whole young girl dream of Chateau's in the French countryside, knights on white stallions, etc etc

Don't get me wrong though, while I may sound like I am seeing all this through the bedazzled eyes of a dreamer, I am also fussy and a clean freak, who doesn't necessarily like antiques. And of course, there are also grander places to stay in. There will always be bigger and better.

However, this place is fantastic on so many levels. Its not perfect, but those imperfections are minor compared to the experience. And this is the type of place you come to for an experience. Nothing and no one is perfect, and those who want perfection in a hotel will never find it....not unless they are paying a whole lot more. Speaking of which, the cost of Chateau Clair de Lune is amazing! I'm still amazed at how well priced it is for the excellent quality.

So to end my story of French whimsical day dreams of Chateau's, rolling estates, beautiful gowns, nobility, and all that jazz, I say, if you are looking for a Chateau that will help you step back into a moment of time (with the convenience of a flushing toilet)(as there are some things we don't miss of days gone by), then this is the place to do it!

Thanks for a great couple of days in your lovely home!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Indi-Indianna
Jean D, Directeur général at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 28 November 2015
Dear guest, this is the kind of feedback every hotel would dream to receive. We trully agree with you that everything is not perfect but as you wrote it, we are working on having a good ratio quality/price so that most of hotel guest can afford to stay with us. I am very glad you had a great experience while staying with us. I can assure you that all our efforts are made into our guest having the best experience ever. We are always trying to make the guest feel like if they were home: here is our main goal. We hope you will have the opportunity to come back to Biarritz and that you will choose our hotel to enjoy your time in our beautifull area. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Warm regards, Jean D
london
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

A wedding is planned well ahead in order to avoid last minutes issues and I must say ours was flawless.
Jean and his team did a fabulous job in accompanying us in this process. We had all the rooms booked for 2 days and the main, the whole castle was ours and all of our 180 guest came back saying it's the best wedding they have ever been to. They helped us select the local caterers or suppliers we needed and I would also recommend every single one of them. I must say management was very accomodating as we had an amazing celebration, some of us did not sleep and stayed around the pool area until the guest started to arrive again for what was the best pool party ever.. All ages guest kept saying how beautiful the park and pool area are and how amazing the setting was.
The accommodation overlooking the park and mountain are of great quality. It's within very easy car reach of Biarritz and at jean de Luz.
Wedding planner, book in advance as he only does 10 wedding a year to ensure best quality..
You can also go his pool lounge area one of the classiest around
Charles and Dominika

Stayed August 2013
Jean D, Owner at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Charles and Veronika,

What a great time i had when I read your comment.

I and my team are glad you all enjoyed your stay in our hotel as well as the ceremony which we all had a pleasure to participate.

We hope you will have time to pass by for a coffee with your wife this coming summer.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

Jean Dabadie
dublin
Reviewed 1 January 2014

We were travelling with our Labrador dog and unfortunately very few hotels on the Spanish side of the frontier, the otherwise excellent Hotel Jaizquibel included, do not accept animals so we decided to try this grandly named establishment. Good decision.

The Chateau was built in about 1902 and the rooms are decorated accordingly and are lovely. The grounds cover several hectares -perfect for a fit dog to let off a bit of steam after a day's travelling in the car.

After a five hour drive we had hoped to have supper in the gourmet restaurant that is independent of the hotel, but nonetheless situated on the grounds of the Chateau, but we were advised that it was closed for a couple of months during the winter. However at Reception we were provided with a detailed list of over thirty restaurants with descriptions of the ambience, food style, price range and contact details - in itself almost worth the price of staying at the Chateau.

We selected a restaurant from the list and our friendly hostess booked our table and we had a great meal that matched the description. Perfect!
In fact so pleased were we with this service that we booked into the hotel for our return trip to Spain and this time we picked out our choice from the list, as it was Sunday night and a lot of the restaurants were closed, and another great meal. Our dog was over the moon with her run around the parkland, so we'll be back next time we´re travelling to France from Spain with her.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanls a lot for this detailed and postive comment.

Indeed we are updating an internal listing of restaurant as most of the team working in the hotel enjoy going out for diner in Biarritz and around. Therefore everyone from the team gives his feedback according to the restaurant they taste and we try to update it as often as we can.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we cannot wait the time to welcoming you again in our hotel.

Best Regards,
Barcelona
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I had to cancel my reservation almost 10 hours before my expected arrival, due to an urgent matter which prevented me to travel, and sent a message to the hotel advise them. I also asked them to confirm if any cancellation fee was applied. I received no answer. I sent a reminder, and what I received one hour later was a message from by bank advising that the hotel had just charged the full amount to my credit card. When I reverted to them asking if this was their implied and the facto reply to my previous unaswered queries, they start to give various excuses for their delay in replying to me, and asked me to contact the booking webpage that I has used for doing my booking. When I contacted the webpage booking I read that the cancellation policy is imposed by each hotel and not by the booking website. I contacted the hotel again and then, and only then, they told me by the first time that according to their hotel cancellation policy a three days cancellation notice was needed. Considering this experience I would warn anyone of what they may expect if they sufer an unforeseeable change of plans. They were very nice when I had contacted them before advising that we would arrive late. i could never imagine their "reaction" when I advised that I had to cancel. If they had directly and expressly replied since the first message, I would have accepted it. What it is unacceptable is that you ask and that their reply is to charge your credit card, and only after various reminders, they commence to reply.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BarcelonaTourist
Jean D, Directeur général at Le Chateau du Clair de Lune, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thanks for your feedback.

The answer is going to be as simple as possible.

You made your reservation through a travel agent on internet. Like any other hotel in the world, you have a cancellation policy which can vary from 24h to 2 weeks in advance. By asking a 72 hours cancellation notice, i can assure you that we are in the average of a cancellation time.

What basically is happening when we receive a cancellation which imply a cancellation fee, we always trie to re sell the room to other client to avoid charging the credit card guest, therefore we wait a bit by hoping to find a new client to book the same room, so that in this case we inform the client that there is no cancellation fee..

By experience and i can assure you that all hotels apply the same policy, when a room is cancelled by client and that the cancellation fee apply due to policy, credit card is automatically debited if we dont manage to re sell the room. Why? First of all client is aware of cancellation policy when making a hotel reservation (worldwide practise) so it should not be a surprise to be debited. Finally and by experience, if the hotel inform the client that he is going to debit his credit card, what s happening? Client calls his bank to either block or cancel his credit card so that hotel can not debit it. I am not saying here that it is something you will have done but I can assure you that it is unfortunately what is often happening.

Thanks for your understanding.