“Excellent cost/quality ratio - lots of charm”

La Ferme de Biarritz
Ranked #3 of 16 Biarritz B&B and Inns
sydney
“Excellent cost/quality ratio - lots of charm”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Charming location, nice garden, lovely rooms and relatively quiet.
Excellent breakfasts
Not too far from city center - a good walk though.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank marie59sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I booked this hotel on the basis of the great reviews on this and other websites. Boy, did I make a mistake. My wife and I just spent 2 nights at La Ferme de Biarritz and could not wait to leave. When we arrived there was noone on the premises. We did not actually see the proprietor until the next day at breakfast. She did leave us a note telling us how to access our room. We walked up a flight of stone stairs and opened the door to a narrow hallway, with 3 doors on 1 side and 2 on the other. It looked like a rundown dormitory hall.
The room itself was dismal - with an extremely low ceiling on 1 side, so that anyone occupying that side of the room had to constantly either bend down or be aware so as not to bump his head.
The bathroom, around the size of an airplane bathroom, was also depressing, with the toilet within a few feet of the bed.
It was the worst room of our whole 3-week trip and the only one not living up to reviews.
Fast asleep at 1 AM we were awakened by drunken revelers in the next room who carried on for another hour and a half.
At breakfast, which was fine, we met the owner, a charming woman who apparently lives elsewhere. We told her of our intention to move elsewhere, even though we had booked for 3 nights. She offered us a separate guesthouse for a lot more money, which was very nice, aside from the bathroom which had a very strange shower and sink which were almost unusable. The owner had initially told us we could stay for 2 nights but the next day said it was actually booked for the second night.
We could not wait to leave this place and are now at the Oceania in Biarritz at a much lower rate for a much nicer room.
I suggest that anyone considering the Ferme de Biarritz think twice and go elsewhere. For 65 Euros a nights in middle-season plus 8.50 Euros each for breakfast it is no bargain,unless you like depressing places.
Also, a written sheet in the room informed us that they did not accept any credit cards, even though there was no apparent reference to this on their website.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank steveSantaFe_NM
neskailuna, Propriétaire at La Ferme de Biarritz, responded to this review, 23 November 2011
I an sincerely sorry and sad for this guest who wrote such a terrible comments concerning his stay at "Biarritz farm". Between that man and the Biarritz Farm, there is more than an ocean : An ocean of incomprehension as his culture and ours is dramatically opposite...
As a fact the top floor of the house has beedrooms with mansard, but it is full of charm and quaintness which appeal to all with enought sensitiveness.
The hallway is not crumling ! the house as been restored respecting the tradition of the XVIII century : the walls are coated with lime wash and ancient natural pigments (such a skilfulness cost much more in time ans money than ordinary modern paint). In the bathroom, the design basin cut a whole block of polished black marble is qualified as strange and unusuable ! How could I explain... There is no accounting for taste ?
My room for rent are amongst the cheapest in Biaritz during school holidays (65 €).
Yet to please this guests, I gave him a discount for ONE night in my pretty cottage: 100 € Instead of 125€ as he wasn't happy with his current room. I did add that the cottage was only available for only one night.
My husband (an Architect) and I, live on the ground floor of the house. When I must leave the house to run an errand , it is open to my guests as I give them my trust. But while I am absent, nobody is left on his own : a whole personal booklet is waiting for my new guests with my personal phone, the keys and the directions to their room, a map of the town ans others informations about restaurants... By trusting my customers and leaving the rooms open, I allow them more flexibility in their time table, the majority is delighted for that freedom (only 5 persons felt offended in 9 years).
So, Dear Sir, I deeply regret than your stay in my house was such a suffering, which lead to such awful sanction and critic of the Biarritz Farm from your part.
Evelyne
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Excellent breakfast and very very good tips from the lady owner Evelynne
Thank you!

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank Pshopshii
Treviso Italy
Reviewed 11 September 2010

My wife, my 15 years daughter and I reserved for 3 nights at the end August.
First negative surprise at the arrival (4 PM): nobody welcomed us (strange for this kind of accomodation), just written instructions.
The garden is quite small; my definition is: nothing special.
The room was quite nice, located on two different levels, with two (small) queen-size beds. The bathtub was not perfectly clean.
The worst surprise was at night: the house is very closed (see photos taken from my room) to a road where car traffic is intense 24 hours a day and windows are absolutely not soundproof.
So, after a bad night , we decided to go away and comunicated our decision to Mrs Evelyne, the owner (she eventually appeared for breakfast - that was good).
She reacted rudely and wanted the payment of the second night.
When I tried to protest, she said to her helper "ILS SONT ITALIENS", and the tone was disparaging.
So the moral is: don't go if you like to sleep ... or if you are Italian.
PS: then we moved to to Itsas Mendia Hotel in Bidart (10 minutes from Biarritz): very good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank FFuso
Worcestershire
Reviewed 8 November 2009

We spent almost a week here in October, walking on nearby beaches and into Biarritz, travelling on buses (5 mins. walk) and trains (20 mins. walk), visiting places from Bayonne to Bilbao and up into the Pyrenees. Great to have a holiday without needing to drive, though most other guests seemed to arrive by car.
The house is about a mile from the nearest thermal spa (though we didn't try that - another time perhaps?).
The whole place is beautifully restored, and Evelyne is a lovely host; nothing was too much trouble. We particularly enjoyed the breakfasts: fresh bread and croissants, fruit, yogurt, etc. in front of a log fire.
Our room was very restful, with a comfortable bed under a sloping ceiling, simply decorated in white and perfectly quiet.
Altogether a wonderful week. Thank you!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
PARIS
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I have discovered it a few years ago and each time I go to Biarritz I love staying there. It is quiet and cheerful, the rooms are elegant, Evelyne, the owner, is a witty and charismatic person, she makes you wonderful breakfasts in a cosy dining room.
The beach is a short distance nearby, there is the possibility of many walks around, and horse riding is possible also. Spain is within a short driving distance, as well as the rest of the Cote Basque.
This is definitely the best place where to stay in Biarritz, and I recommand it warmly whether you are a family, want a good time with friends, or travel by yourself.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 26 August 2005

Very pleasant stay. nice tidy rooms. good french breakfast. owners didn't speak a great deal of english, but made their best efforts to ensure all is fine. would highly recommend for anyone travelling around Biarritz by car.

• Stayed October 2003