“Disappointing experience”

Baleak
Ranked #110 of 344 Restaurants in Biarritz
Price range: US$30 - US$37
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Heswall, United Kingdom
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

Had eaten in this restaurant a number of years ago and it was very good but the experience this time was very different. Service was very slow and the food when it came was poor. The restaurant was busy with locals and visitors so the problems may have been a one off but could not recommend it on based on this visit

London
“Great food and friendly service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were slightly wary of this restaurant with previous reviews blowing hot and cold but, frankly, it was raining and our hotel was about 20 yards away so we went for it.
I'm very glad we did!
The food was delicious from start to finish- nothing too fancy but good quality ingredients cooked well and served in some interesting combinations. The highlight for both my wife and I was probably the "nems" pudding with white chocolate soup- just delicious!

• Visited September 2013
“Good restaurant in Biarritz”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Something different in Biarritz. Good meal, good service, just a little bit expensive, but the result is very very good

1 Thank Sassoconcambiasso
London, England, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average food but excellent service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Ate by myself (friends tied up with kids). Great service and very warm staff but this meal was over priced and uninteresting. My starter came with a squirt of cream from a can (or that's what it looked and tasted like) and my duck burger was - well - average. Nice to sit out in the street and the decor inside is great - a good ambience but not a massively tasty experience.

Washington, DC
“An overworked staff leads to a mixed culinary experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

My wife and I were looking forward to dinner here after reading several positive reviews at TripAdvisor and elsewhere. While the decor is quite inviting -- with what looks like exposed stone walls and very effective use of recessed lighting -- we found the overall experience mixed at best. In part, this was due to what seemed like a staff deep in the weeds.

During our meal on a Sunday just after they opened for the evening, we counted only two servers working the entire restaurant. A person who looked like the manager, as well as a woman who may have been his wife, pitched in as well when things got particularly busy, but we still found it difficult to get our waiter's attention, and the delivery of our main courses seemed to suffer as a result. For instance, the pureed carrots and pureed potatoes that came with my tandoori tuna were lukewarm at best, while the tuna itself was overcooked.

Otherwise, and unrelated to the staffing issues, we enjoyed our appetizers -- my wife had the tuna tartare while I had the foie gras with gingerbread. But we felt the desserts were particularly poor value for money.

In sum, I don't think we'd go back again, especially given the cost relative to our experience.

1 Thank jrd