“Simple & practical, great breakfast buffet, reasonably priced”
Review of Stechelberg

Stechelberg
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stechelberg
Reviewed 13 September 2011

After longs days of great hiking it is nice to come back to this quiet Hotel only minutes away by Postal Bus from touristy Lauterbrunnen. Our double room was cozy, neat and clean with comfortable beds. There was a sink inside the room for washing. The shower was conveniently located down the hallway. The menu selection in the Restaurant was excellent as was the quality of food and cooking. We especially enjoyed the Swiss type breakfast buffet and the friendly staff who served us. This is the second time we stayed at Hotel Stechelberg and it will not be the last. If you are looking for a simple and practical place to stay, for a reasonable price, we highly recommend Hotel Stechelberg.

Room Tip: Rooms facing either up or down the valley are quieter with a great view.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2011

This was our seventh trip to Switzerland and we were sorry it took us so long to stay in this spectacular location at the far end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The bus line and the road end here, an easy 15-20 minute ride from the town of Lauterbrunnen. The hotel was very nice; we were in the lovely new wing of the main lodge, in Room 6. The room was spotless and wireless internet worked fine. The area is pitch-black and silent at night and we slept very soundly. Breakfast (included) was good and substantial, with cereals, breads, cheeses, meat, and soft-boiled eggs. We ate dinners there and they were excellent and reasonably priced by Switzerland standards. Most employees spoke very little English, but this is Switzerland, after all, and they were welcoming and friendly to both visitors and locals. This is a great place to stay to enjoy a less commercialized part of the area, out of view of the cable cars, etc., but right next to dramatic mountains, waterfalls, glaciers and excellent hiking trails. Note: If you book in advance, bring your confirmation with you to deal with any issues related to the language barrier. (Ours were easily resolved.)

Room Tip: Request your preference of either a room in the new wing or the older building across the street.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2011

This is one of the most memorable places that I have stayed due to the incredible breathtaking natural setting. The kind owners were lovely, always ready to answer our questions and give us maps and suggestions for our adventures. We stayed in the newer building across from the main hotel--the upper floor with balcony that had a stunning view of the waterfalls and also the rushing river running by. It just felt good to be alive amidst such beauty! We took many of our meals at the restaurant and found them very good. Would love to return someday. Tripadvisor would only let me choose Sept. 2010 for the date, we were actually here in September a few years earlier.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2010

We booked about three weeks before our departure, so we only able to get a room with shared bath. We were right next to the bathroom with was good for me, being pregnant. On our first morning our plan was to take the first train to the Jungfraujoch which departs at 7AM. The owners graciously provided us with a delicious sack lunch left on our doorstep. The scenery was amazing, the hiking superb and everyone was friendly & helpful. However, if you are looking for a luxury hotel this is not it. Usually when my husband and I travel we are looking for just a cclean, omfortable place to sleep and we found it here. We can't wait to got back to this area and hike some more...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyingjen
Reviewed 23 July 2010

As said before, this hotel is at the end of the valley, next to the last bus stop. It has a chalet with rooms as well. The hotel and rooms are very clean, the bed good, not too soft, the shower great with hot water. The only hotel without soap and shampoo, but towels are provided. We had a nice balcony overlooking the garden.
Dinner was a la carte, a good selection of large portions, and reasonable priced.
Breakfast had a good selection of bread, cheese and cereals, and I saw meat too.
As this is not Lauterbrunnen, but at the end of the road, the feeling is beeing in the middle of nature. You hear the thunder of river and waterfalls, and the mountains all tower high up on all sides. A lot of walking trails lead from the hotel to the mountains, or south, to the Trummelbach-falls,an easy walk, rather flat., and on to Lauterbrunnen.
The cable car up to Murren is not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Bhutantraveller
Reviewed 5 July 2010

Not everyone is looking for simplicity paired with grandeur while traveling. The Hotel Stechelberg, run by the family Gertsch, is a place to find the extravagance of nature and one's inner self. Stechelberg, being a hamlet at the southern end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, is a most beautiful setting for the Hotel Stechelberg. Clean and efficiently run, the hotel is characterized by the simplicity of offering an authentic and genuine place from which to appreciate and explore the Lauterbrunnen Valley and its heights. I have had the good fortune of staying with Marianne and Otto on four separate trips and would return in a flash. Those who would have a complaint or criticism must not understand.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank awilhe
Reviewed 28 June 2010

This hotel is right next to the last bus stop that takes you from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. I took the bus there to do hiking in the mountains on the very well marked trails. As remarked by others, the scenery is breathtaking, it reminded me in some ways of Yosemite valley.

On may return, I stopped in for a beer at the hotel, while waiting for the bus to take me back to Lauterbrunnen. I noticed that the restaurant offered fresh trout from their trout pond. This being one of my favorite meals, and hard to come by in the States, I returned the next day with my wife and had the trout, "Forelle Müllerin" on the menu, for lunch. It was excellent, the most memorable meal I had on our 2 week vacation spanning Switzerland and France.

Since I did not stay at this hotel, I cannot comment on the accomodations, but my overall impression was that this is a place that is very genuine Swiss, frequented by the locals as well as guests. I noticed an earlier comment that complained of unfriendliness. This is, I think, an unfortunate misconception. These are plain and direct speaking farm folks, who may lack the professional "smiley face" to which we are accustomed in the States, but they take their jobs seriously and are good at it. I found the place delightful for this very reason, and for the excellent trout dinner, and can recommend it strongly for all who can break free of their "tourist bubble" and experience the real thing.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rosentrekker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stechelberg
Hotel Jungfrau
#2 of 11 in Murren
The Alpenhof
The Alpenhof
#1 of 1 in Stechelberg

Been to Stechelberg? Share your experiences!