“Welcome to 1970”

Ranked #9 of 32 Hotels in Pau
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Welcome to 1970”
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

My room was dreadful with entire decor from decades ago.
Aside from that the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel is in a great location, close to the central area of Pau.
I would only suggest to stay here if short time and room is only to sleep in at end of the night.
Impossible to work in room!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Lahitte-Toupiere, France
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Almost a walk of the street booking (with help from tourist information centre) as another hotel had let us down badly. Friendly staff, fantastic suite room - big bed, big bath, two sinks, sofa & two chairs with table, walk-in-wardrobe and large TV.. what more do you want. Very clean with lots of spare towels and pillows available. Car park easy to get to and very secure. Would stay again :-)

Room Tip: Room 479 was execelent :-)
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ccoulson71
Reviewed 7 November 2013

This hotel is centrally located but quite difficult to reach even with a navigator. The staff is very helpful but the rooms need a lot of renovation. The city itself is more beautiful than the pictures you find in the internet.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
West Sussex, UK
Reviewed 17 August 2013

You need a very good guide or directions to locate the hotel's car park situated within the 'bus only - bollard protected' centre of the City.
This hotel has seen better days; reception made us very welcome and gave us an upgrade. The room was along a long narrow corridor on an upper floor. Large and well furnished with walk in storage it sadly looked out into a drab paint pealing hotel interior light well. The bathroom was effectively in the room and had seen better days; the toilet was separate but with no hand wash basin or even waste bin. However the room was queit and bed comfortable.
The restaraunt was understaffed and disappointing; the breakfast was a buffet but tables had not been cleared and the two staff were clearly room maids on early shift.
Sadly we would not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask to face the city, not the light well.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Uppland
Reviewed 7 August 2013

When reading the reviews about this hotel it seems that some rooms are very good, while others are not. That is of course not very good, but I can only write about our experience. Even though we had booked an ordinary room we got a very nice one. It was really big, with a large bathroom, nice sofa and comfortable chairs and a minibar.
We also liked the feel of an old fashioned hotel that we felt walking the long corridors. The staff were very nice, and we really do not have anything to complain about. We skipped breakfast and had some yoghurt which we kept in the minibar instead so I can not comment on the breakfast. The location of the hotel was perfect in the middle of the town.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kartul
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

After leaving the Manoir de Beauvoir, this was our next stop. The drive south to this hotel had plenty to see and we drove through some pretty little villages.

Perhaps I should say at this point, that my satnav program has been told to avoid any toll-paying roads. What I save in tolls, covers the cost of my diesel for the whole trip from Roscoff to Hondarribia in Spain.

Again I used the cafe's in garages to have some coffee. One thing that I would like to point out about rural garages in France and Spain - make sure the pump you are going to use has been reset. I drove to a diesel pump as a lorry pulled away. I stuck the nozzle in the tank and looked and waited for the pump to be reset, as it was reading forty-odd Euro's. I went in to the desk and asked the guy to reset the pump. He didn't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish, so I signalled to him with my finger to follow me outside. He came out and pulled the pump trigger, and the price on the pump rose as he did so. I shouted to him no!, pointed to the pump price indicator, and drew the figure o. He went ballistic throwing his arms in the air and muttering. I just stood there and waited, and stared him in the eye when his face turned towards me. Eventually, he went inside and reset the pump. I filled up and it cost me thirty Euros. I made sure I gave him the right money, because if I had given him say 100 Euro note, I bet he would have only given me twenty Euros change. When I left, he muttered in Spanish loudly as I walked, all the way out the garage. Although I don't understand Spanish, I think I get the gist of what he was saying to me.

It was five-o'clock when we reached Pau. The satnav took me straight to the door, but I was looking for the garage. I drove around the block but could find no garage entrance. I drove back to the front, and my wife went in and asked where the garage was. It turns out that the garage is in another building. If you come out the main door, turn left and traverse the street. About 30 feet in front of you, you will see a row of bollards marking out a driveway, with a metal gate in front. On the wall there is keypad, and a four-digit number has to be punched in. The receptionist gave my wife the number, and hey presto the door swung open. It's a fair size garage with plenty of spaces.

We had a room on the second floor overlooking the street. The décor looked early 20th century, with very high ceilings and big doors. The furnishings are good, and I suppose some of them could be classed as antiques. The bed was queen-size, and very cumfy. The town has plenty to offer, and weather permitting, has some colourful places to see. I had a burger in a burger bar just down the road from the hotel, and it was excellent, a bit rare as the French like it, and was only around a fiver.

Breakfast was the usual continental buffet, but the salami was especially good, and of course so is the bread.

It was early June, and we didn't have to pay any tourist tax when we left the hotel.

Room Tip: My room was at the front, had a nice view over the street which is very busy in daytime, but it was...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We spent one night in this hotel which was fine, but the room's decor, furniture etc. is looking very tired and the hotel needs some renovation. The location is very good although it is tricky to find and it is necessary to park in the garage a couple of blocks away - but be careful, the entrance is difficult to find and very narrow, as are the parking spaces.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple